Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Welcome all to The Storm Enthusiasts group

Posted

If it hadn't have been for the 6th August storm down here, I would feel quite storm starved this year. But that storm was a once in 10 year occasion (not that I want to wait another 10 years you understand) and has really given me a boost!

Can we have at least another couple please Mr Thor? Posted Image

I have seen alot of fantastic pics in the paper of that storm...and a few on here....wish we could see more vids of it

Posted

I have seen alot of fantastic pics in the paper of that storm...and a few on here....wish we could see more vids of it

It was a fugi 31 something he just clicks away at the storm and get those pics i have one more which is quite good but the rest are just out of lens view. It is hard to get pics of lightning.

post-2220-1219848950_thumb.jpg

Posted

Walk this way kind Sir: http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...t&p=1317223 (and risk being arrested!!!) :D

Posted

I dont think snow storms count unless they contain lightning....is thios correct Jane

Thundersnow : Jan 28th 2004 :D !

Sometimes it's just as good when they pass within a few miles away, you still often get the thunder and lightning, and you can see the cloud structure.

Also if it's not a direct hit it maybe won't be raining and you know more or less where the lightning is, so maybe it's better for photos that way too.

I agree with that MCT, 9 May this year sitting outside around 22.00 drinking wine watching non-stop strobe like lightning from a storm that developed and moved within a mile of here!

Spain....1993

Santa Susanhah...Costa Brava

Ah, went there in Sept 2005, that was a sleepless holiday due to frequent night storms!

I've been thinking of memories all afternoon into this evening and am starting a file that will be posted into the relevant thread in the next few days.

Posted

Geordie Its like saying to Paula Radcliffe be happy you finished 26th?....I know she would only be happy if she was first

OK....IM GREEDY :D:D

Snow Queen lovely shot....whats the camera and do you have any more

Jane would you say on the whole that we have missed out this yr....Because of the the storms skirting

I know how you feel Dogs, when you have a decent storm and it ends you are dissapointed as you wanted more. I am easily pleased though so if a storm just passes to the side of me but i can still see the lightning it is just as good(if not better) as a storm which is directly overhead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Jane would you say on the whole that we have missed out this yr....Because of the the storms skirting

Hiya dogs,

Only just seen this post.

Yes,I do feel that we have missed out quite a bit this year.Most of the storms have been in the distance for us.I would call them mild storms really.Only 2 mild storms this year.May used to be pretty good month for storms around here,but last year and this year nothing happened at all.

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

Hi Jane/Dogs

Looks like a popular place here :D

I am really disapointed with the lack of storms this year. Since we moved here 18 months ago I've been longing for a decent storm so I can watch it over the sea but this year has been awful :D

Posted

QUOTE (dogs42 @ 27 Aug 2008, 02:52 PM) Posted ImageI dont think snow storms count unless they contain lightning....is thios correct Jane

I found this out dogs :

Thundersnow

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thundersnow also known as a winter thunderstorm or a thunder snowstorm is a rare thunderstorm with snow falling as the primary precipitation instead of rain. It commonly falls in regions of strong upward motion within the cold sector of extratropical cyclones between autumn and spring when surface temperatures are most likely to be near or below freezing. Variations exist, such as thundersleet, where the precipitation consists of sleet rather than snow.

1 Formation

1.1 From lake effect precipitation

1.2 From synoptic forcing

1.3 From upslope flow

There are usually three forms of thundersnow:

* A normal thunderstorm on the leading edge of a cold front or warm front that can either form in a winter environment or one that runs into cool air and where the precipitation takes the form of snow.

* A heavy synoptic snowstorm in the comma head of an extratropical cyclone that sustains strong vertical mixing which allows for favorable conditions for lightning and thunder to occur.

* A lake effect or ocean effect thunderstorm which is produced by cold air passing over relatively warm water; this effect commonly produces snow squalls over the Great Lakes.

Hi Jane/Dogs

Looks like a popular place here :)

I am really disapointed with the lack of storms this year. Since we moved here 18 months ago I've been longing for a decent storm so I can watch it over the sea but this year has been awful :D

Hi there Katie :)

I also think it has been a bad year for storms too.I'm quite suprised though that Devon has missed out also.When I lived in Plymouth we used to have quite a few storms ,mainly in the Autumn though.

You never know Katie, you may get to see one or two storms as yet in the Autumn months.Fingers crossed for you. :)

Posted

Maybe I need to bin my storms for the weekend now :)

It looks like you will be getting your storms now Stuart and now I wont lol :)

according to the Metoffice weather warning grrrr lol

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

It looks like you will be getting your storms now Stuart and now I wont lol :)

according to the Metoffice weather warning grrrr lol

I won't take the MO 'watch' for granted Jane, it means nothing to me personally. How many time the met office has put a weather warning for nothing to occur in this area? too many times which is why i keep saying i hope they don't put a warning because if they don't something happens. :)

Posted

I won't take the MO 'watch' for granted Jane, it means nothing to me personally. How many time the met office has put a weather warning for nothing to occur in this area? too many times which is why i keep saying i hope they don't put a warning because if they don't something happens. :)

That's what I always thought with the MetOffice Geordie .Better that they put no warning for us,that way it may happen lol :)

Posted

Great idea this.

Are we allowed to poke a bit of fun at the met etc in here ?

That! I'm not sure of lol

ask the mods

Posted
Ive got to admit after many disappointments...this really does look it might happen after all :good:

Ive started to get my camera ready...Luckily for me I received another 4gb card through the post today with a battery for camera...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Count me in, being an old TORRO member I think I could be of assistance in the group.....then again I dont really get much chance to get pictures or at least chase any storms in ye olde wet, miserable Ireland lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Count me in too, I just love the loudness of thunder, the brief, but spectacular view each flash of lightning brings. And if there's some hail or a decent squall line- EVEN BETTER!! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Bit late to the party as always but what a great idea and count me in ! Wish I had some good storms to report but they all seem to have by-passed me this year - bit like the snow does in winter ! Hopefully today though...............