Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chasing in your sleep

Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

This might sound a strange question but I wonder if anyone else suffers a post chase phenomena where you are still chasing in your sleep. It happens every year after I get home. Tied in with jet lag it makes getting up for work harder. I usually have to endure it for a couple of weeks. The thing is that this year I did less organising target areas, yet still I suffer. Oh well, they say no pain no gain. Are we counting down to next year already.

Tom

Posted
do you mean dreaming about it or

sleep chasing ( instead of walking) you actually get into you're car and start driving?

No, it is a restless slumber and we are close to storms but never ever reach them. You even know that at times you are home in your own bed but that dont work. I supose for those weeks out there you are focused on one thing and one thing alone. Eat drink sleep storms. Coming down isnt easy I guess. It is hard to describe and I think I can't be the only person to experience it. I might be the first person to mention it though. Ohers now might say bloody hell yes, I know what he means.

Tom

Posted

Even for me a virgin storm chaser, I've been sleep chasing. Even last night and I've been back 6 weeks or so from the first chase with the guys.

What I have found is that when I'm driving I start shouting at every bit of cumulus I see. Stuff like Do something dammit! Getting some weird looks mind you! I'm definitely counting down to next year already.

I have to say also that for me anyway, stormchasing as a group has very much a social aspect to it. Especially on the down days. I couldn't possibly have hoped for a nicer bunch of guys to hang out with for 12 days and I'm on awe of Paul S and Nick's intimate knowledge of Supercells. Dont get me wrong, we had 6 dam good chase days out of 10 and thats what its all about but all I'm saying is that its a major bonus to be in the company of really cool people when not driving into a supercell (and stuff) :) . In fairness to the guys (including Ian and Paul M) they were so helpfull, informative and really god craic. Michael Fish was the dude in my opinion also. Very down to earth and really good craic.

For me it was a trip of a lifetime!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yep, been having those dreams also, particularly driving through hail cores in my sleep!

Never thought I'd say this after 37 days of looking for storms in the mid-west, but I'm badly missing storms already ... just hoping it won't be too long until I hear thunder again - though UK storms don't have the same level of euphoria as US ones I'm afraid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's also quite possible to dream about storm chasing even if you haven't been on a storm chasing expedition before.

I felt I absolutely had to post in this thread, because last night I dreamt about chasing a developing storm cell all the way across from Exeter to Norwich, and trying umpteen times to photograph the lightning. The lightning in my dream was mostly cloud-cloud lightning and flashed almost continuously. Approaching Norwich I had to stop for some reason and ended up cheesed off because the storm was rumbling away eastwards- and not producing any lightning any more- so I would end up reaching Norwich before I could catch up to the storm again.

I imagine most of your dreams will probably be more extreme than that, but still, it's a highly relevant and recent experience.

Posted
It's also quite possible to dream about storm chasing even if you haven't been on a storm chasing expedition before.

I felt I absolutely had to post in this thread, because last night I dreamt about chasing a developing storm cell all the way across from Exeter to Norwich, and trying umpteen times to photograph the lightning. The lightning in my dream was mostly cloud-cloud lightning and flashed almost continuously. Approaching Norwich I had to stop for some reason and ended up cheesed off because the storm was rumbling away eastwards- and not producing any lightning any more- so I would end up reaching Norwich before I could catch up to the storm again.

I imagine most of your dreams will probably be more extreme than that, but still, it's a highly relevant and recent experience.

Well the storms I am chasing in my sleep look severe but I can never catch them. Chasing the Devil's heard across these endless skies.

Tom

Posted

Hi Tom, I went out with the NW chase team last year, and I still have storm-chasing dreams now, a year later!

And, like ChristIDontKnow, I've also spent the last year grouching at uncooperative cumulus clouds ;)

-PBS-

Posted

I`ve never dreampt about chasing storms but I`ve dream occasionally that they come here not lately though about a fortnight ago when there was 2 cracks of thunder but the clouds look more dreamlike and grand for some strange reason.

And I`ve seen tornadoes in my dreams too and some vicious thunderstorms.

I tell you what I dreamed about last night was looking at the GFS run and it showed a potent N-ly for now with the -5c just making it to the south well as I didn`t see any charts yesterday there is a N-ly looking rather cool but not that cold. ;)

Posted

Tom have had the chase dream as well though in mine im down a dirt road and a nado drops in the feild next to me it's so close that I can nearly touch it then I sort of skip along side it while it churns up the feild rather a pleasent dream but I think a bit weird however i've had this dream about five times now and I rarely ever remember my dreams oh well I will just have to go back next year and see if that cures me :);):)

Ian

Posted
Tom have had the chase dream as well though in mine im down a dirt road and a nado drops in the feild next to me it's so close that I can nearly touch it then I sort of skip along side it while it churns up the feild rather a pleasent dream but I think a bit weird however i've had this dream about five times now and I rarely ever remember my dreams oh well I will just have to go back next year and see if that cures me :):D:)

Ian

Ian , that was not a dream it was nearly true. How the heck are you and how is your mum. Happy to have you home.

Tom

Posted
Ian , that was not a dream it was nearly true. How the heck are you and how is your mum. Happy to have you home.

Tom

Hi Tom it already seems ages ago that we were out there chasing I must say this year I have so many memories and experiances that I think it will be hard to top that as an experiance I soppose I could do without the 2 near death ones though LOL. I am well have told my mum shes not allowed to watch the docu next year as she may have a nervous break down :)

I think we are going to have a reunion at some point this summer you will have to come along will be cool to relive some of those moments over maybe the odd cold beer :D hope you are well and have now adjusted back to normal life back in blighty I now it sounds sad but I do miss all the lads the banter the laughs ythe hangovers still thinking of Oklahoma in November for a boys ten days out will have to see how things go stay safe fella

Ian

Posted
Hi Tom it already seems ages ago that we were out there chasing I must say this year I have so many memories and experiances that I think it will be hard to top that as an experiance I soppose I could do without the 2 near death ones though LOL. I am well have told my mum shes not allowed to watch the docu next year as she may have a nervous break down :lol:

I think we are going to have a reunion at some point this summer you will have to come along will be cool to relive some of those moments over maybe the odd cold beer :lol: hope you are well and have now adjusted back to normal life back in blighty I now it sounds sad but I do miss all the lads the banter the laughs ythe hangovers still thinking of Oklahoma in November for a boys ten days out will have to see how things go stay safe fella

Ian

It does seem a while but you know every more is a day less, to next chase season. Okie sounds tempting in November but I am in France for two weeks in September. I will get some highlights to you. Do you have a video if I can't get it on DVD?

Tom

Posted

I've never really been storm chasing [ I would like to] , but I can say a few storms have chased me on trips out. in 2005 I went for a run to the seaside from doncaster to bridlington on my motorbike. I knew it was goin to be a bit thundery south of donny but no one said anything about a storm starting near scarborough. I had enough time to plod around country lanes upto the sea front, get some rock, admire a Harley Davidson and the Indian Chief next to it even more so and go. With a top speed of 65 mph, or 70 on the flat I couldn't out run it, just watch it creeping up on me. The next thing my handlebars feel fuzzy like static from a balloon and lightning struck a field just next to me. I've had this dream more than enough times over the years since it happened. Its odd to wake up feeling like I'm wearing a wet jacket and clothes and find I'm in bed dry.

I've had similar dreams about when I went to manchester on my other bike, and racing the rain clouds home, riding in snow, in october on the A57 on snake pass on the way back. it was so peaceful, me and 2 other bikes, no cars, no lorries, or stray sheep. I call it sunny snow. Since it was a bit sunny still, nice and warm. I don't know how you'd explain it in weather terms. Not that it matters.

Posted
I've never really been storm chasing [ I would like to] , but I can say a few storms have chased me on trips out. in 2005 I went for a run to the seaside from doncaster to bridlington on my motorbike. I knew it was goin to be a bit thundery south of donny but no one said anything about a storm starting near scarborough. I had enough time to plod around country lanes upto the sea front, get some rock, admire a Harley Davidson and the Indian Chief next to it even more so and go. With a top speed of 65 mph, or 70 on the flat I couldn't out run it, just watch it creeping up on me. The next thing my handlebars feel fuzzy like static from a balloon and lightning struck a field just next to me. I've had this dream more than enough times over the years since it happened. Its odd to wake up feeling like I'm wearing a wet jacket and clothes and find I'm in bed dry.

I've had similar dreams about when I went to manchester on my other bike, and racing the rain clouds home, riding in snow, in october on the A57 on snake pass on the way back. it was so peaceful, me and 2 other bikes, no cars, no lorries, or stray sheep. I call it sunny snow. Since it was a bit sunny still, nice and warm. I don't know how you'd explain it in weather terms. Not that it matters.

Dreams are strange without doubt, whatever your passion. Whilst out on the plains chasing I get so intense, it is easy to understand why sleep dont come easy.

Tom