Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake Activity Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

The latest is .. 73 confirmed dead and many still buried / unaccounted for.

Poor folks.

B.

Posted

7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes southeast Atlantic.

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/7-3-magnitude-earthquake-hits-south-atlantic-690408#PGCMLGWM2Sag121k.99

Powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake rocks Myanmar, leaving 4 dead and temples badly damaged.

https://weather.com/safety/earthquake/news/central-myanmar-earthquake

But Italy is the most destructive at 6.2  now 250 dead.

Posted

7.1 quake, depth 19 miles.....just off the NE coast of New Zealand's North Island. Nearest towns are Gisborne, Whakatane and Tauranga/Mt Maunganui (kiwi sis lives here). No major damage reported in these cities and luckily the region closest to the epicentre is sparsely populated.

Civil Defence have issued a Tsunami warning for the Bay of Plenty area 

proxy (1).jpg

"The Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (MCDEM) has issued a tsunami warning for East Coast of the North Island (including Auckland, Waikato and Bay of Plenty) and Upper South Island.Confirmation has been received that a tsunami was generated at East Cape.  A wave height measuring 30cm was measured at East Cape a short time ago.The first tsunami activity has arrived.  Tsunami activity will continue for several hours and the threat must be regarded as real until this warning is cancelled.People in the above/ coastal areas should:1. Stay out of the water (sea, rivers and estuaries, including boating activities) 2. Stay off beaches and shore areas 3. Do not go sightseeing 4. Share this information with family, neighbours and friends 5. Listen to the radio and/or TV for updates 6. Follow instructions of local civil defence authorities" 

Edited by Kiwi

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Just had a minor quake here in Alykes Zante. Only a few seconds but enough to make everyone stop.

Edited by philglossop

• 1 month later...
Posted

Another big quake in Italy today. I hope it's not a precursor to a big volcanic eruption or something?  Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37967178

Yikes, a massive 7.4 quake south island of NZ.  Concerns over possible tsunami.

B.

Posted

A  tsunami has been generated, the first wave has arrived in the North Eastern Coast of the South Island. #eqnz

Posted

Does the upcoming supermoon have anything to do with the rise in the  recent global earthquake activity?

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

Beeb briefly stating that 8ft waves have hit along the shoreline in south NZ, i'm assuming with the height of the waves been generated from only a 7.4 the PTWC and USGS have issued the warnings for larger waves due to the threat of underwater landslide generation.

Posted
19 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Beeb briefly stating that 8ft waves have hit along the shoreline in south NZ, i'm assuming with the height of the waves been generated from only a 7.4 the PTWC and USGS have issued the warnings for larger waves due to the threat of underwater landslide generation.

It has been upgraded: 7.8 or 7.9, depending which site you look at.

3-5 metre waves forecast for the north east.

_92421737_a38bdf70-cd70-4aab-8d01-c80fee

Posted
7 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

It has been upgraded: 7.8 or 7.9, depending which site you look at.

3-5 metre waves forecast for the north east.

_92421737_a38bdf70-cd70-4aab-8d01-c80fee

I've been watching this closely waves could cause quite a bit on impact. On a side note sorry 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

I've been watching this closely waves could cause quite a bit on impact. On a side note sorry 

No worries mate. A wee Saturday swally  :drunk-emoji: here unleashed my normally restrained fingers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
4 hours ago, Love Snow said:

Does the upcoming supermoon have anything to do with the rise in the  recent global earthquake activity?

Officially I believe Science says there is no real connection, but we know the moon affects the tide, we know the moon is responsible for the slight bulge in the shape of the planet and we know that the interior of the planet is both molten and also water - I fail to see how anything external that effects the pressure inside the planet could not possibly be responsible for earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. And right now - there are plenty of people in New Zealand who are asking the same thing.

• Like 1

Posted
On 13/11/2016 at 15:09, Love Snow said:

I doubt it. It's only called a supermoon because it nearness coincides with it being a full moon.

The moon circles the Earth in 4 weeks and has an oval orbit so it is presumably closer to the planet every couple of weeks and I don't think there's a fortnightly pattern to earthquake activity.

• Like 1

Posted

3m Tsunami observed in places, 7.3mag depth was 10km not far off the coast from Fukushima which has been affected by it. NNN covering it live.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Completely forgot this thread existed..... in which case someone should probably also point out that there was a 6.4 Earthquake in Argentina yesterday as well - http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10007az5#executive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Please can I ask a question about the relationship between low pressure systems and earthquakes. My sister was visiting Sicily in October just at the same time as there was a tropical cyclone and an earthquake in central Italy, and now the combination of Hurricane Otto and an earthquake in Central America made me think there was a link: are storms able to make earthquakes more likely to trigger? Many thanks :)

Posted
18 hours ago, Woollymummy said:

Please can I ask a question about the relationship between low pressure systems and earthquakes. My sister was visiting Sicily in October just at the same time as there was a tropical cyclone and an earthquake in central Italy, and now the combination of Hurricane Otto and an earthquake in Central America made me think there was a link: are storms able to make earthquakes more likely to trigger? Many thanks :)

I have an inkling that i saw on the volcano cafe website in the past few months that there that there had been an article published regarding a relationship between large magnitude earthquakes and low pressure systems or it may have been spring tides.  Either way, i recall the general view on that site was that there was not enough evidence to make such a link but i could certainly understand why this could indeed be a straw that broke the camels back type relationship.  Will see if i can find the link to the article.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
22 hours ago, Woollymummy said:

None the moon has more gravity effect than any low pressure system on unloading the planet surface and there's no connection with the moon either. Theres some discussion about whether a connection between big quakes and Volcanic eruptions. It seems in a few cases there maybe a connection  but most of the time nothing happens. It's like the connection people saw between big E in Iceland and Katla. However Katla erupts more often than big E and when the two did erupt closely the time cycle was pretty normal for Katla anyway. I wasn't surprised when there wasn't any eruption of Katla after Big E's last eruption.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Tsunmai warning as well.