Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake Activity Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Is that the Anatolia fault? Isn't there a lot of movement stored up along that line ( with Istanbul at the western end?)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

This is huge just saw on BBC that 500 to 1000 people have been killed.

Yeah, is that 2 quakes over mag 7 in Turkey? Can you link to the death tolls?

Is that the Anatolia fault? Isn't there a lot of movement stored up along that line ( with Istanbul at the western end?)

Turkey and Greece sit on the Anatolian plate, and the quakes occurred on the boundary with the Arabian plate which is pushing north, causing the Anatolian plate to kinda rotate anti-clockwise. The Anatolia fault zone is along the northern boundary, not sure of the name of the boundary between the Anatolian and Arabian plates.

Posted

A magnitude 7.6 earthquake hit 35 km northeast of the Turkish city of Van on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The earthquake at 1041 GMT was 94.5 km deep, it said. Van is close to the Iranian border.

Last year, Israel offered to send aid to Turkey after a strong earthquake killed 41 villagers in the eastern part of the country, local officials said, as rescuers worked to free survivors trapped under the rubble.

The quake woke residents from their sleep when it struck at 4:32 AM local time, centred on the sparsely populated area of Basyurt in Elazig province. The quake had a magnitude of 6.0 and was followed by 30 minor aftershocks.

"There was a lot of fear and panic among the people. It lasted about a minute. We felt it very strongly and everyone tried to get out onto the street," Nursel Sengezer, a Dogan News Agency correspondent in Elazig, told broadcaster CNN Turk.

Turkey is criss-crossed with faultlines and frequently suffers earthquakes. A large earthquake measuring 7.4 killed some 18,000 people in August 1999.

Not sure where reports of people being woken up at 4.32 come from; Turkey's currently three hours ahead of GMT; it would have been early afternoon. Israel has offered help this time, too, according to the Turkish Daily News.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

The death toll from the powerful earthquake that on Sunday rocked southeastern Turkey may reach up to 1,000 people, the country’s Kandilli Observatory said. The 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck the city at 13:40 local time (10:40 a.m. GMT), the U.S. Geological Survey said. Its epicenter was located at a depth of 20 kilometers

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_update_read&edis_id=EQ-20111023-32794-TUR&uid=11611

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/read/index.php?pageid=seism_read&rid=214498

location map

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

huge amount of aftershocks

video showing damage to buildings

my thoughts go out to these people

Posted

http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/Seismic_Data/telemetry_data/ANTO_24hr.html

Data from station ANTO (Ankara, Turkey)

http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/Seismic_Data/heli2.shtml

usgs seismic server for various parts of the world

Posted

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/read/index.php?pageid=seism_read&rid=214498

rsoe give a mercalli scale for this quake at 10

this is very high

please click on the link below for an idea of how strong this quake was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercalli_intensity_scale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Poor poor people in Turkey. My thoughts are with them all.

It is quite freaky though as I was only on this forum a couple of days ago finding earthquake links as my friend lives in san fran (British) and she had said that since 2007 she had experienced three in the last few weeks. So off to the map I went and back on here and there was talk about how Greece and the med appeared to be hotting up a bit. This was only a couple of days ago.

I know it is a certain plate but is there any connection do you think to one of the canary islands?

But apart from the activity in and around Greece I see that the Eastern Turkey one has literally appeared from no where and just how many aftershocks? poor people I hope that they get a load of people out safe and sound.

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted

i hope this does not cause more problems

MAP 6.0 2011/10/23 20:45:37 38.555 43.161 9.8 EASTERN TURKEY

http://earthquake.us...0/45_40_eqs.php

EMSC shows M5.9 Depth 8 km.......They have just upgraded to M6.0 Depth 10 km !!

http://www.emsc-csem...e.php?id=240073

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Poor people = poor houses, = poor constuctions = higher casualties = poor people!

I feel so very sorry for these people as i expect the medical response will be relatively slow and the nights will be freezing. so sad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Poor people = poor houses, = poor constuctions = higher casualties = poor people!

I feel so very sorry for these people as i expect the medical response will be relatively slow and the nights will be freezing. so sad.

I just looked up Van near the epicentre. The population could be around 500,000. Let's hope the airport is intact.

Posted

Looks like that's how PM Erdogan got to the city, so hopefully help and supplies will get in that way, too. The population of the city's upwards of 350,000 so they need to make sure that there are regular supplies of food as well as the immediate aid for those hurt or made homeless. It's already not that far above freezing there at night and will only get chillier, so - on top of providing accommodation for the homeless and finding indoor accommodation for the injured - getting the electricity supply up and running again is a priority.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Other than the aftershocks in Turkey there seems to be a distinct lack of general activity this morning I hope we are brewing up for something bigger

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

Other than the aftershocks in Turkey there seems to be a distinct lack of general activity this morning I hope we are brewing up for something bigger

sorry guys but I think this is a typo, I think he meant to write, " I hope we are NOT brewing up for something bigger".

the map looks a bit strange today, the ring of fire looks unusually quiet, or little activity.

regarding aftershocks in turkey, they seem to be moving back up to the high 4s mag.

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Ouch, a 4.2 aftershock at 1km deep must have been pretty rough.

Just curious but i recall that a major earthquake is predicted near Istabul along this fault and as such i am curious as to whether you think the earthquake just seen would raise this chance or lessen it.

I ask because this earthquake is actually about 900km east of the Izmit one while Istanbul is about 100km west. Is this a good sign that pressure may have gone east rather than west or would the fact that this was so far away indicate a lot of pressure shifted toward Istanbul.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

I have just read my post and I most definitely meant NOT building upto something bigger. Teaches you to reread posts properly before posting.

Posted

Ouch, a 4.2 aftershock at 1km deep must have been pretty rough.

Just curious but i recall that a major earthquake is predicted near Istabul along this fault and as such i am curious as to whether you think the earthquake just seen would raise this chance or lessen it.

I ask because this earthquake is actually about 900km east of the Izmit one while Istanbul is about 100km west. Is this a good sign that pressure may have gone east rather than west or would the fact that this was so far away indicate a lot of pressure shifted toward Istanbul.

The theory goes that, in general, earthquake activity along the North Anatolian fault is trending east-west (as each event releases stress in one place, more stress is built up to the west) although that cannot be taken to mean that just because an event happened at, e.g. 33°E, activity is less likely at, e.g. 37°E.

The Van area appears to be east of where the North Anatolian fault meets the East Anatolian (although there are probably links at a deep level that haven't become apparent yet) - and closer to the Bitlis-Zagros fold/thrust belt where the Arabian plate is ploughing into the Eurasian plate. Does anyone have any information about what the faults in the region are? The presence of stratovolcanoes like Nemrut Dag and Mt Ararat would imply subduction but a quick trawl online doesn't reveal any mention of there being one in the area.

Posted

5.4 Aftershock hits Van-Turkey

Was it shallow, like the others? If so, that will have been very bad.

Ring of fire still very quiet. I can't remember when I last saw a day when there were no earthquakes in/near Japan!

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

that aftershock in turkey was mag 5.7 at 7.0km 86 minutes ago by usgs. very precarious times there at the mo.hope not much damage was done.