Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake Activity Thread

Posted

Sumatra'n coast currently on Tsunami WATCH. Preliminary estimates by the USGS has this quake has it at mag7.8 at a depth of 28miles on the subduction zone.

Posted

JAKARTA, April 7 (Xinhua) -- At least 12 people were injured and dozens of houses were damaged when a strong quake with a magnitude of 7.2 rocked Aceh in northern tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island on Wednesday, said the local Disaster Management Agency.

Four of the victims suffered from serious injuries, all of the 12 injured persons were being treated at a hospital in Simeuleu island, manager of operation of the provincial disaster management agency named only Iskandar told Xinhua over phone from the province.

The island was hit, the hardest, by the quake with the intensity of 4 to 5 MMI (Modified Mercally Intensity), as its location was the nearest from the quake epicenter, the Meteorology and Geophysics Agency reported.

"Most of the victims are hit by some parts of building falling during the quake," said Iskandar. Iskandar said that the quake cracked a road in Singkil regency of Aceh and caused light damages to dozens of houses in the regency and Simeuleu island.

The quake intensity was also felt at 4 to 5 MMI in Meulaboh town of Aceh and Sibolga of North Sumatra province, the meteorology and geophysics agency said, but there were no report of damages or injuries.The quake struck at 05:15 a.m. Jakarta time Wednesday (2215 GMT Tuesday) with the epicenter at 75 km southeast Sinabang of the province and with a depth of 34 km under sea bed, he said.

The quake was felt at nearby provinces of North Sumatra, the Meteorology and Geophysics Agency reported.

The intensity of the quake was also felt at 4 MMI in Padang Sidempuan of North Sumatra province, the agency said.

Aftershocks at moderate magnitudes occurred for four times, he said. The quake caused panic among residence in Sibolga as people living near coastal areas rushed to the higher ground area for fear of tsunami, a person reported to Metro TV television station.

news.xinhuanet.com

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Heard reports o a 7.5 magnitude quake in Solomon islands.

that must've been loud then.............

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Heard reports o a 7.5 magnitude quake in Solomon islands.

It seems to have been a 6.8 Still a biggy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

6.2 magnitude quake in Spain. Very deep at over 600km's

11-APR-2010 22:08:1037.08-3.476.2616.7SPAIN

Posted

6.9 magnitude quake in China,

LATLONMAGDEPTH kmREGION14-APR-2010 03:15:4632.8596.344.810.0QINGHAI, CHINA14-APR-2010 01:25:1633.2396.465.810.0QINGHAI, CHINA14-APR-2010 01:16:58-29.0561.355.110.0SOUTHWEST INDIAN RIDGE14-APR-2010 00:18:2917.97145.435.0193.6MARIANA ISLANDS14-APR-2010 00:12:2533.0396.565.210.0QINGHAI, CHINA14-APR-2010 00:01:1632.6996.875.310.0QINGHAI, CHINA13-APR-2010 23:49:4233.2696.676.946.9QINGHAI, CHINA13-APR-2010 21:43:5423.45123.514.923.8SOUTHWESTERN RYUKYU ISLANDS13-APR-2010 21:40:0033.1896.625.018.9QINGHAI, CHINA

Posted

Is it me or are earthquakes becoming more frequent? Could there be a link between these?

Maybe i've been watching too many 2012 videos on youtube!

Posted

6.9 magnitude quake in China,

Earthquake in China leaves hundreds dead and thousands injured

As many as 300 people are dead and many more trapped in rubble after a magnitude 7.1 quake hit north-west China. Chinese state television said the quake left up to 8,000 injured and was one of six to hit Yushu county, Qinghai province, this morning.

Army trucks have been sent to the remote area, 480 miles away from the provincial capital, Xining, to aid rescue and relief efforts. Witnesses reported the collapse of many brick and wood buildings, with people scrabbling through the debris to free those trapped inside. Power and water supplies have been cut although some early reports suggested larger buildings had stood firm. The population is relatively scattered, making it hard to assess damage. The China Earthquake Administration said phone lines were down, hindering rescue efforts, while workers were racing to release water from a cracked reservoir.

In Jiegu, a township near the epicentre, more than 85% of houses collapsed, while large cracks appeared on buildings still standing, the official Xinhua News Agency cited Zhuohuaxia, a local publicity official, as saying.

"The streets in Jiegu are thronged with panic and full of injured people, with many of them bleeding from their injuries," he said. One local official was quoted by the BBC saying: "We have nothing now. The loss is huge."

Red Cross workers are preparing supplies of tents and warm clothing to send to the remote high altitude region amid fears that thousands have been left without shelter in near-freezing temperatures. The main quake sent residents fleeing as it toppled houses made of mud and wood, said Karsum Nyima, the Yushu county television station's deputy head of news, speaking by phone with broadcaster CCTV.

"In a flash the houses went down. It was a terrible earthquake," he said. "In a small park there is a Buddhist tower and the top of the tower fell off. "Everybody is out on the streets standing in front of their houses, trying to find their family members," he said, adding that school buildings had not collapsed but students had been evacuated and were assembled in outdoor playgrounds. Yushu county is a largely Tibetan area of Qinghai. The province and other parts of China's north west have suffered repeated tremors in recent years.

A local government website puts the county's population in 2005 at 89,300 people, mostly herders and farmers. State television showed footage of paramilitary police using shovels to dig around a house with a collapsed wooden roof. A local military official, Shi Huajie, told state broadcaster CCTV that rescuers were working with limited equipment.

"The difficulty we face is that we don't have any excavators. Many of the people have been buried and our soldiers are trying to pull them out with human labor," Shi said. "It is very difficult to save people with our bare hands."

Wu Yong, a local military chief, said medical workers were urgently needed but roads leading to the airport had been badly damaged by the quake, creating difficulties for people and supplies to be flown in. The epicentre of the first quake was located 235 miles south-south-east of Golmud, a large city in Qinghai, at a depth of six miles, the US Geological Survey said.

Ten minutes later the area was hit by a magnitude 5.3 quake, which was followed after two minutes by another measuring 5.2. Both the subsequent earthquakes were measured at a depth of six miles. Another quake measuring 5.8 was recorded at 9:25am. Two years ago a massive quake in nearby Sichuan left an estimated 90,000 dead or missing.

Posted Image

www.guardian.co.uk

Posted Image

news.bbc.co.uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Is it me or are earthquakes becoming more frequent? Could there be a link between these?

Maybe i've been watching too many 2012 videos on youtube!

Hi ya TEITS Posted Image I also think they are become quite frequent. I think I watch and read to much regarding 2012 etc. Could it be the LHC now that they are doing 7 TeV collisions or just Earth Changes. It could be to do with the Sun too. something to keep an eye on. (I do have a vivid imagination though )

Posted

Hi ya TEITS Posted Image I also think they are become quite frequent. I think I watch and read to much regarding 2012 etc. Could it be the LHC now that they are doing 7 TeV collisions or just Earth Changes. It could be to do with the Sun too. something to keep an eye on. (I do have a vivid imagination though )

Here is an interesting video about the recent earthquakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdCdll2GGVc

I must admit I do find the 2012 topic interesting. If our scientists/governments did know something sinister was going on they would keep it a secret like was illustrated in the 2012 film.

I don't believe the world will end on 21/12/12 but everytime I hear about an earthquake the more anxious I become and the greater interest I take in the subject. Noboday can deny in recent months we have seen an incredible number of earthquakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If any of the recent 'sun grazer' comets had strayed into our path then we'd have had a few quakes 'loosened' by their impact! Does anyone know if the 'sun grazers' are always so abundant (4 in just over 2 months).

Posted

I'm wondering if the is ging to be another large magnitude quake in the Chile region again. There has ben at least 8 4-5 magnitude quakes in the last two day's

One to keep an eye on me thinks.

Posted

Here is an interesting video about the recent earthquakes.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QdCdll2GGVc

I must admit I do find the 2012 topic interesting. If our scientists/governments did know something sinister was going on they would keep it a secret like was illustrated in the 2012 film.

I don't believe the world will end on 21/12/12 but everytime I hear about an earthquake the more anxious I become and the greater interest I take in the subject. Noboday can deny in recent months we have seen an incredible number of earthquakes!

I read an article just after xmas time which suggested earthquakes were more common during the quieter cycles of the sun! Only what i read im no expert!

Posted

I'm wondering if the is ging to be another large magnitude quake in the Chile region again. There has ben at least 8 4-5 magnitude quakes in the last two day's

One to keep an eye on me thinks.

6.1 magnitude today in Chile, not massive, but as expected a quake following the swarm of lesser magnitude quakes.

Posted

A 6.9 magnitude earthquake has struck off the southeast coast of Taiwan, the US Geological Survey said. The agency said the quake hit at 10.59am local time (02.59 GMT), 195 miles off the southern Taiwan city of Taitung. Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau said no tsunami warning has been issued.

Buildings swayed in Taipei, the capital, when the quake hit, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage. Meanwhile, an official says rescuers are searching for passengers in three cars buried by a massive landslide when a hillside collapsed in northern Taiwan.

Firefighter Tang Cheng-yu said the landslide buried a portion of a three-lane highway in rubble about the size of two soccer stadiums. A motorist first reported the accident in Keelung. He said he made a sharp turn to narrowly escape the massive mud cascading down in front of his car. Tang says hundreds of workers are digging around the clock with bulldozers Monday but have yet to locate the cars. He says the landslide followed days of rain. News reports say four people are believed to have been buried in the cars

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Posted

2 reasonable sized quakes in the baring sea area recently

DATELATLONMAGDEPTH kmREGION01-MAY-2010 07:26:35-15.05167.365.0164.5VANUATU ISLANDS30-APR-2010 23:16:2960.52-177.736.015.7BERING SEA30-APR-2010 23:11:4460.64-177.906.315.1BERING SEA30-APR-2010 23:10:2360.63-177.904.314.2BERING SEA

Posted

Two large quakes in Peru & Indonesia.

DATELATLONMAGDEPTH kmREGION06-MAY-2010 02:42:44-18.00-70.496.411.0NEAR COAST OF PERU05-MAY-2010 17:49:03-56.80147.725.310.0WEST OF MACQUARIE ISLAND05-MAY-2010 17:09:08-6.26154.825.658.6SOLOMON ISLANDS05-MAY-2010 16:29:02-4.08101.076.518.1SOUTHERN SUMATERA, INDONESIA

Posted

7.4 magnitude quake of the coast of Indonesia

DATELATLONMAGDEPTH kmREGION09-MAY-2010 06:54:30-34.26-73.224.735.0OFF COAST OF CENTRAL CHILE09-MAY-2010 05:59:443.7396.087.461.4NORTHERN SUMATERA, INDONESIA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8670593.stm

Edited by SteveB

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

6 magnitude quake at a depth of 10km in the northern mid-Atlantic ridge.

unusual for a quake of that magnitude there. always a worry when you get a quake there, in case it triggers a tsunami.

Edited by SteveB

Posted

6 magnitude quake at a depth of 10km in the northern mid-Atlantic ridge.

unusual for a quake of that magnitude there. always a worry when you get a quake there, in case it triggers a tsunami.

How unusual? Is this tied in with volcanic activity in Iceland? ...or doesn't it work like that??

Posted

Not sure how unusual to be honest, but I don't like quakes along that ridge purely because of its proximity to our shores.

It could be tied into Iceland as its on the same fault-line.

Posted

An earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale has been recorded off the coast of Vanuatu, sparking a tsunami alert in the South Pacific.

The tremor struck 135 miles northwest of the island Vanuatu, the US Geological Survey has said.

It was centered at 12.4 miles below the sea - considered to be a shallow depth.

More follows...