Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake Activity Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Has there been any small tremours today in Britain? because my room seemed to be shaking slightly around 12.05-12.10, in the same way it did when we had that big one a while back if that makes any sense.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

3 today.

5.4 near Guam

5.4 Central Peru

5.3 Antofagasta, Chile

Hope you don't mind me posting some when your not here.

Edited by James M

Posted

A 6.1 in the last hour or so in Iceland

Edit: Haha you just beat me to it

Edited by James M

Posted

Been rvised down now to a 6.1, depth was 6 miles underground and occured ESE of the city (exactly on the spot where the mid-atlantic ridge comes to the surface.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

3 today.

5.4 near Guam

5.4 Central Peru

5.3 Antofagasta, Chile

Hope you don't mind me posting some when your not here.

don't mind at all James , anyone can posts in this thread

Posted

The earthquake in Iceland now being covered by BBC News.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7426369.stm

Posted

Several quakes in the last 48hrs of the 5th magnitude or higher.

6.6, Mid Indian Ridge

5.7, Izu Islands, Japan Region

5.2, Bouvet Island Region

5.1, Ryukyu Islands, Japan

5.0, New Britain Region, Papua New Guinea

And the Iceland quake has been revised back up to 6.3

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Seeing as we now accept that quakes trigger other quakes worldwide you have to wonder if we are in a period of 'readjustment' after the recent major quakes with many other bits of tied up movement on plate margins and fault lines being jolted into activity.

Posted

Seeing as we now accept that quakes trigger other quakes worldwide you have to wonder if we are in a period of 'readjustment' after the recent major quakes with many other bits of tied up movement on plate margins and fault lines being jolted into activity.

Yes I would have thought that was quite possible, it will be interesting to see if this year turns out to be above average.

Today seems to be quite busy already with 8 quakes 5th or higher.

6.4, Batan Islands Region, Philippines

6.4, West of Macquarie Island

5.8, Banda Sea

5.4, Easter Island Region

5.2, Bouvet Islands Region

5.1, Near the East Coast of Honshu, Japan

5.1, Sumbawa Region, Indonesia

5.0, off the East Coast of Kamchatka, Russia

Posted

And another one.

5.3, Taiwan

Posted

Supriosed no one has commented on the 7.2 magnitude earthquake in Japan, believed to have left over 200 people injured and 9 dead.

www.timesonline.co.uk

Although the death and injury toll from the quake was relatively low, the massive tremor and its aftershocks brought a weekend of chaos to much of Iwate prefecture. It has also exposed worrying shortcomings in Japan’s quake early warning-system, which is generally viewed as the most technologically sophisticated in the world

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Recent NZ quakes:

5.4 on Friday 13th June near White Island

5.2 on 23rd June near Te Anau

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

No one has updated for a while so I thought I might and I think it would be a good idea to post earthquakes above 6th mag instead, seeing as there are several over 5 every day unless there are some notable ones.

6.3, Santa Cruz Islands Region

6.7, Santa Cruz Islands Region

7.0, Off the East Coast of Honshu, Japan

Small article from BBC News here

I didnt realise NZ was prone to earthquakes? I know they must be frightening for those caught up in them wouldn't mind experiencing one, the tremors here in UK I always miss I am usually asleep

I'm the same, as long as the tremours we get in this country aren't too big I like to experience them. I was lucky earlier this February when we got that big one (for us), it was strange the way the whole house shook.

Posted

Japan hunts for injured after powerful quake

HIRONO, Japan (AFP) — Rescue teams searched in dense fog and rain Thursday for victims of a powerful earthquake in northern Japan that left more than 120 people injured, some of them seriously. The 6.8-magnitude quake struck just after midnight on the mountainous northern tip of Japan's main island of Honshu, shattering windows and triggering landslides in a region still recovering from a tremor one month ago.

A total of 126 people were injured, according to the national disaster agency. Police said that 28 of them were seriously wounded, some having broken bones as the quake threw them to the ground. Military helicopters scoured the region famed for its blueberry fields and hot-spring resorts to find anyone who might have been left stranded by landslides, but low visibility and light rain hampered the operations.

"I've never felt such a big earthquake before in my life," said Kenji Sasaki, a disaster official here in the town of Hirono, where the walls and ceilings of the municipal head office suffered cracks. "I was asleep when I felt the jolt but for its entire duration I couldn't move," he told AFP.

Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda also said he was startled in his bedroom by the quake, which was so powerful that it shook buildings in the capital, 500 kilometres (300 miles) to the south. "As a nation we will promptly take appropriate measures," Fukuda said. "However, it appears that the area is now foggy so it's difficult to assess the situation by helicopters. We would like to clarify the situation as quickly as possible."

Chief government spokesman Nobutaka Machimura said there were no reports of deaths.

"In any case, our priority is to make every possible effort to grasp the situation concerning damages," he told a news conference. In the city of Hachinohe, the earthquake toppled gravestones at a cemetery, sending residents scurrying to repair damage out of respect to their ancestors.

"Many bottles of Japanese sake, wine and juice fell off the shelves and broke, making a pool on the floor," said Fumitaka Kizu, 60, who manages a liquor store in Hachinohe. "We lost about 80 bottles." In the village of Tanohata, a 73-year-old woman was in intensive care after suffering a brain haemorrhage due to the shock of the earthquake, local official Kiwao Nakashima said.

Authorities sealed off roads to traffic at three points in fear of further landslides, he said. The earthquake struck 108 kilometres (67 miles) under the surface, a relatively deep level that apparently limited damages, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. The injured included a worker at a Toyota group car factory who was knocked on the head by an auto frame and needed stitches, a company spokesman said.

Factories of Fujitsu, NEC and Toshiba that produce semiconductors and other electronic parts all temporarily halted operations after minor damage, the companies said. An aftershock of magnitude 5.0 hit later in the morning. But in a country used to earthquakes, authorities were quickly able to restore services and buildings held firm.

"We had a water pipe break and the electricity was out for a while after the quake, but the problems are all fixed now," said a police officer in the town of Iwaizumi, where big rocks tumbled down a cliff. Japan, which lies at the crossing of four tectonic plates, experiences 20 percent of the world's powerful earthquakes. Just one month ago, a 7.2-magnitude quake hit the same area, leaving 23 people dead or missing.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Hmmm, the whole "Pacific Ring of Fire" seems very active at the moment. A lot of earthquakes and several volcanos either erupting or near-eruption.

Posted

considering the damage that was suffered in the '94 quake

(BBC News)

In 1994, a 6.7 magnitude earthquake in Northridge, California, killed 72 people, injured some 9,000 and caused $25bn worth of damage in the area

it seems they may have had a lucky escape this time round

Posted

I've stayed in this part of LA and it is densely populated, but don't worry, Arnie is prepared!

LOS ANGELES Associated Press — A moderate earthquake, the largest in Southern California since 1999, struck 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles on Tuesday morning. It swayed buildings and tossed food off grocery store shelves, but there were no reports of major injuries or damage.

People gathered outside of buildings in the Wilshire District west of downtown Los Angeles after the earthquake struck southern California. Summer school students at St. Margaret's Episcopal School in San Juan Capistrano evacuated their classrooms. The earthquake, which registered a 5.4 magnitude, was centered near Chino Hills in San Bernardino County and was felt as far east as Las Vegas and south to San Diego.

“This is moderate,” said Erik Pounders, a geologist with the United States Geological Survey in Pasadena. “Which means it was strong enough to be felt, but wasn’t even powerful enough to knock everything off your desk.”

Still, cellphone lines were jammed throughout the region as people frantically made calls in the immediate moments after the jolt. Officials in Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s emergency management office urged Californians to free up the lines for emergency use. State and local officials immediately raced to inspect bridges, levees and other major infrastructure projects, but found only a water main break. Train service in many areas was disrupted as the inspections continued, and at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, visitors were taken off rides. Inspections there yielded no reports of damage, officials said.

“This earthquake reminds us yet once again that in California we have to be prepared for everything and anything,” Mr. Schwarzenegger said at a news conference in Los Angeles.

Some schools and office buildings were evacuated temporarily as people braced for the roughly 50 aftershocks by midafternoon, one of which registered at 3.8. The Los Angeles City Council, meeting downtown, adjourned briefly to regroup after the event.

The quake began slowly about 11:40 a.m. and continued for several disarming seconds. Many residents experienced an eerie, dizzying sensation of having rolled from side to side on rollers that are common in high-rise buildings retrofitted to withstand earthquakes, which leave buildings swaying for several seconds after a quake.

Denise Cattern, a spokeswoman for Chino Hills, a suburb of about 80,000, said residents and businesses were reporting lots of things falling from walls and shelves. “Our nerves have been rattled,” Ms. Cattern said, “but with the low-rise construction everything seems to be fine.”

Jessica Chang, 12, was in class working on a math problem in Chino Hills when the shaking began. She said a vase fell on her head but she was not injured. “When it started, I felt the shaking under my feet,” she said. “I thought I was going to die. But my teacher told us to calm down.” Her brother, Jayden, 5, piped in that he thought it was a “Tyrannosaurus rex walking.”

The aftershocks cracked the walls and floors of homes and buildings in nearby Diamond Bar, said Lt. John Saleeby, the watch commander in the Los Angeles County sheriff’s office in that town. Elizabeth Cespuglio, 17, of Corona, about eight miles from the epicenter, was watching television and working on her computer when the shaking began. She ran to a door frame, as experts advise.

“I always kind of liked quakes when they were tiny,” she said by telephone. “But after it lasted longer it kind of freaked me out.” Two pictures fell from a wall in an adjacent bedroom but they did not break, and she did not see any other damage to the home. The quake was the largest in Southern California since a 7.1 magnitude quake hit an unpopulated area of the high desert in 1999. The last powerful earthquake in urban Los Angeles — among the most seismically active regions in the world — struck in 1994 and was centered in Northridge, a section of the city in the San Fernando Valley.

Reuters Video

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

I didnt realise NZ was prone to earthquakes? I know they must be frightening for those caught up in them wouldn't mind experiencing one, the tremors here in UK I always miss I am usually asleep

Well yes, the country is on the boundary between two continental plates. Napier airport is built on land that was undersea before the earthquake in the 1930s. Quakes are just a fact of life.

Latest:

5.9 10km outside Hastings:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4668752a11.html

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/2958743g.html

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

• 5 weeks later...
Posted