Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Burgh Island

Posted

Yesterday my mum, dad, brother and I went to Burgh Island in south Devon for the day (only an island at high tide). It was lovely weather and the sea was a fantastic blue colour.

I took lots of photos so its hard to pick out the best but heres some for you to enjoy :)

1. post-7593-1208365642_thumb.jpg Just arrived - view from edge of car park to Burgh island

2. post-7593-1208365937_thumb.jpg walking across to the island

3. post-7593-1208366064_thumb.jpg the Sea Tractor which is used to take people to and from the island when the tide is in (looking back towards the mainland)

4. post-7593-1208366164_thumb.jpg from the west side of the island, the sea was a very nice blue color.

5. post-7593-1208366549_thumb.jpg

6. post-7593-1208366645_thumb.jpg my personal favorite :)

7. post-7593-1208367130_thumb.jpg

8. post-7593-1208367382_thumb.jpg dont fall!

9. post-7593-1208367521_thumb.jpg

10. post-7593-1208367726_thumb.jpg from south side

11. post-7593-1208367935_thumb.jpg the top of the island

12. post-7593-1208368144_thumb.jpg looking back to the mainland from the top of the island

13. post-7593-1208368334_thumb.jpg the eastern side

14. post-7593-1208368495_thumb.jpg opps the tide has come in

15 post-7593-1208368637_thumb.jpg on the Sea Tractor

16.post-7593-1208368852_thumb.jpg back across the other side.

that didnt work too well bit i dont know how to sort it

enjoy :) hope that wasnt too many pics.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

Looks lovely - if a wee bit chilly!

I remember watching 'Coast' on the BBC and the story of how celebrities in the 50s would go here to escape the tabloid photographers - cut off when the tide is in!

A very photogenic. clear day and lovely shots :)

Posted

Thanks Stuart and Shuggee. :)

yes I can remember seeing that on coast too. im sure the sea was very cold! even though it did look a bit tempting :lol:

actually there was a smartly dressed lady from the hotel that got to get on the tracter before anyone else and then got driven away in a black 4x4 with blacked out windows on the other side! :unsure:

Posted
Looks lovely - if a wee bit chilly!

I remember watching 'Coast' on the BBC and the story of how celebrities in the 50s would go here to escape the tabloid photographers - cut off when the tide is in!

We got married there!

Wonderful art-deco hotel. Stunning location. Just magical. The hotel's a bit pricey but the food is superb. Well worth it.

Glorious day in Devon today - wall to wall sunshine after a chilly start. Was out with the boys playing cricket this pm. Fantastic.

Edited by La Nina

Posted

absolutely love that place.Been there at least 10 times.....Had a cocktail in the hotel there very potent....

Im glad you took the pics well done. brings back good memories..Of Hope pub....must go back..

seen some amazing lightning there at night at least 3 occasions.....

The best beach is the third one from the hope......

And good night life in Salcombe...

Posted
Wow ... if you sell them locally and I'm down that way ...?

you can always pp me if i can help i will

Posted

My brother stayed opposite the island last year but unfortunately I couldn't meet them. He was raving about the place. It looks really nice, so I think we will have to check it out :unsure:

Posted

Very nice SM6

I like picture 6 as well. Looks like like one of them holiday brochure photos from majorca or somewhere :cold:

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Been there many a time. A good good few years ago before the hotel was refurbished and reopend the only place open was the Pilchard Inn. Out of season at night when the tide was in sometimes you could telephone the Inn. If the old driver of the tractor was sober enough he'd come over and get you. A lock-in was guaranteed as the local bobby couldn't get to you.....

.... thinking about it, he was probably already drinking at the next table to you anyway!