Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What kit do you use?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I'm always interested in what kit people who post on here use - after all, there have been some superb photographs on here in the past and every photographer on earth can talk for England on the merits of his or her particular kit. So what is it?

Mine's a Nikon D70 (hoping to move up to a D200 at some point this year)with a Nikon 80-400 telephoto, a Sigma 150mm macro and a fast Sigma 24mm - also Benbo tripod (ideal for macros) and the rather funky Nikon ring-flash for close up subjects. I also use a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter. I also carry around a little Panasonic Lumix FX-55, which I've found to be a terrific little point-and-shooter - next to no weight and the Leica glass is first rate for a camera that size.

What's in your camera bag?

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

After much time, effort, thought and research 3 months ago I went for a Nikon D80 DSLR with the Kit 18-135mm Nikon lens. I can't fault it so far.

It was that or the Canon 400D. In 99% of the reviews I read Nikon beat the Canon but by only 1 or 2%. Not really that much in the scheme of things but Mrs Kar has always owned 35mm Nikons from when she was a professional photgrapher and all of her then professional colleagues would never use anything else. She also has a kit bag full of lenses, albeit all of them manual, but they can still do the business.

My Father in law was buying at the same time and went for the Canon for the very same reason that he too had a bag full of old Canon 35mm lenses that he could put to good use.

Both camers are excellant with their own little quirks that are one but not the other.

(I still use an my old Minolta F200 4.0 mp compact that was the dogs gonads 5 years ago and can still give a many a modern compact a run for it's money. It just goes to show the amount of mega pixels don't count for everything and often less is better.)

Edited by kar999

Posted

you must of read the same review i did...But the canon had something better than the other..unfortunately I cant remember.what it was...I have the Cannon xti with a standard lens...With all remote and infra red gadgetts....I also have 4 macro lenses for very close shots...A lightning trigger wich I havent got the chance to use yet.....Software well Cannon,Noise Ninja,Photoshop....Im hoping to get this lense soon as I ve been told its top its range for the price...from a reveiw as follows

Canon EF 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM is arguably one of the most versatile and best performing "affordable" zoom lens ever made for Canon EOS cameras. It may be the ultimate "MUST HAVE" zoom lens for every EOS camera kit, Digital or film.

Thats about me summed up..oh some tripod I bought years ago

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I have a Nikon D50 with nikon 18-55mm and 10-100mm lens and also have a Canon EOS 40D with 17-85 mm usm IS lens and a 50 mm prime lens.

I have a Manfrotto tripod, which I got for my birthday, not had chance to test it properly yet but from what have seen tis great!!

Will post more later on what I think of them both when my computer not mucking me about so much.

Posted
I have a Nikon D50 with nikon 18-55mm and 10-100mm lens and also have a Canon EOS 40D with 17-85 mm usm IS lens and a 50 mm prime lens.

I have a Manfrotto tripod, which I got for my birthday, not had chance to test it properly yet but from what have seen tis great!!

And a Joe kit carrying unit......... :doh:

Posted
And a Joe kit carrying unit......... :doh:

:) well yes, but didn't want to brag about that! not everyone could afford on of those :)

Posted

Used a Canon PowerShot A95 until it almost finally died in late February. Now own a Canon PowerShot A570 IS.

Some samples of what you've missed since my long sabbatical. :)

IMG_93611.jpg

IMG_93571.jpg

IMG_02171.jpg

The strangest of sunsets seen for a while.

IMG_01501.jpg

Sundog

More to follow soon.

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

For sunsets which I love, I use a canon EOS 5d With a 70-200 f2.8 IS usm, sometimes with a X 2 converter.

I use this for wildlife photography when I get the chance at work too.

The other lenses I have for this camera are that poor in comparison to the 70-200, it would be like comparing OON's SAAB to a reliant Robbin, so I wont go there...

I also use a Sony p150 which broke yesterday :) so I will buy another in a few weeks when I find one at the right price :)

Russ

Posted

Its not tight Rob.

I am just an eccentric with a taste for crystal clear photographs. I have been very impressed with the shots I have seen from phones recently too :)

Regards,

Russ

Posted

i was going to reply with "chelsea" when i read the topic title :)

its quite suprising how quickly phone camera technology has improved.

Posted

Yes Mick, at a guess all I will need is a phone in about 7-8 years time. Bet it will blow my canon 5d and fancy lens away :ph34r: I probably will be sick of the weight of the bloody thing by then anyhow.

Regards,

Russ

Posted

Mmmmmm, having gone through the thread I understand that some form of critique would be of use in certain cases - but as far as my own pictures are concerned I do not profess to be any sort of photographer of merit at all, they are just what I see around me while out walking/scrambling about in the hills, perhaps an outdoor persuits area would be a more suitable place for these.

Doc.

(Canon powershot A650IS)

Posted

Just a now rather outdated Olympus C-765 - 4mp with a 10x optical zoom and good manual over-ride.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Just a now rather outdated Olympus C-765 - 4mp with a 10x optical zoom and good manual over-ride.

I used to have that, it was a great camera.

I now have a Canon 350D but i'm getting a 450D when they come out. I use a cheap Hama Star Tripod, the standard EF lens and sometimes a Sigma 300mm lens. I have recently got some filters, grey grad, blue grad, polariser and neutral density.

I also have a Sony H9 camera with a 1.7x tele converter giving over 25x zoom, which I use mainly for it's great quality video and zoom.

Mark :ph34r:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Currently an Olympus E1 & E510 with a 14-42 and 40-150 lens and an old but brilliant 85 F2 lens.

Had a Canon 40D and lots of lens but much prefer Olympus "out of the box" jpg results.

Posted
Mmmmmm, having gone through the thread I understand that some form of critique would be of use in certain cases - but as far as my own pictures are concerned I do not profess to be any sort of photographer of merit at all, they are just what I see around me while out walking/scrambling about in the hills, perhaps an outdoor persuits area would be a more suitable place for these.

Doc.

(Canon powershot A650IS)

We're going to make some changes to the area over the next week or two so it caters for everyone.

As for me, I've got a Canon EOS400D with a Sigma 18-200mm lens and a Canon 70-300mm image-stabilised zoom. I've also got an Olympus mju740 which is always in the car and claims to be weatherproof.

Posted
As for me, I've got a Canon EOS400D

Your taste in similar stuff to me is a little disturbing B)

Posted

Oh yes....it's worth every penny. With my Sigma lens at 200mm I either have to use ISO 400, or ensure the exposure is at least 1/150th second to get a crisp shot. With the IM lens, I can safely use ISO 100 at 1/30th second at 300mm. I'd prefer a camera with in-built IS, but this works just as well and really is worth the money.

Posted

I did mean IS lens but I gather you knew that B)

I am very impressed with my IS lens just wondered if it was just as good on a zoom, and as I have still to invest in a zoom for the Canon it was worth an ask.

Thanks Oon.

Posted

I've been on Nixon since the seventies, mostly Fs. Now use D100. Point and shoot; has to have a Tessa lense so its a Yashica T4. Phone-wise I use XDA2 with 3meg/pixel.I also grab off one or two webcams, when they're working. I just love sunrises! Try this when its working: http://www.lymington.com/~webcam/image.jpg

Edited by towbar0

Posted

Let's hear it for the bridge-cams, the prosumers, the.. errr:

The utterly lovely Sony R1.

Went off the idea of interchangeable lenses (I'm a sucker for lens lust), so went for the best bridge-cam of the time.

Also use the cam in my mobile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

An 'ancient' trusty little Sony Cybershot, X 3 zoom and recently

and after much online research a Panasonic DMC-FZ18

with X 18 stabilized optical zoom.

I just didn't want to get back into carrying all those extras.

Have to say tho' that for 'standard' landscape pics, I'm

thinking the little Sony still has the edge !

I've yet to fully master all my new camera can do methinks.

BL.

Posted

little Megxon 6.3MP snappy for the pocket and a Fuji S9600 superzoom 28-300mm 9MP, compact and light (and no dust !)

• April showers, sunny spells and nippy nights

Another mixed, cool day with sunny spells and scattered showers. Passing low pressures will bring wind and rain as the nippy nights continue. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-04-16 07:15:52 Valid: 16/04/2024 0600 - 17/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - TUES 16 APRIL 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

European weekend heat and a wild start to Monday for the UK

April temperature records were broken in many locations in Spain and France this weekend. Cooler air is on the way with a wet and wild Monday morning in the Midlands. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow