Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy Snow In Greece!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

My business partner, who lives in Athens, has sent some pics of the heavy snowfall hitting Greece as we speak... A couple of nice pics here and more to come!

(I assume that no-one on the forum will contest that that is a true blizzard???)

More pics to follow tmrw.

Regards,

Scott (& Pavlos in Athens)

(PS. those pics were taken after just a short period of snowfall...things have apparently increased)

post-2587-1203215387_thumb.jpg

post-2587-1203215433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sno' problem

Hehe, from my point of view it doesn't look like a true blizzard, but ok, it depends on what you compare with, if you live in Athens i assume that just a few flakes would been called a blizzard :D I'm just getting more frustrated when i hear about the conditions in south east of Europe, they have been the only ones to get really cold weather below normal conditions this winter, especially Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey and Greece... And now where i live the max temp forecast is +6'c, the roads are dry, and birds are chirping, record early spring! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

o..k.. wahs up with this thats nothing, i ve jst come back from New England in Vermont and they had 3ft of fresh snow on weds! haha it was lush lol, that made it lke 6ft of snow:P

Posted
My business partner, who lives in Athens, has sent some pics of the heavy snowfall hitting Greece as we speak... A couple of nice pics here and more to come!

(I assume that no-one on the forum will contest that that is a true blizzard???)

More pics to follow tmrw.

Regards,

Scott (& Pavlos in Athens)

(PS. those pics were taken after just a short period of snowfall...things have apparently increased)

I'm gutted, I only flew out of Athens yesterday at 3pm!!!! Looks like I missed it all by a couple of hours :angry:

Posted
I'm gutted, I only flew out of Athens yesterday at 3pm!!!! Looks like I missed it all by a couple of hours :angry:

You may have been stuck there for a while had you not made it out in time!

(As promised...more pics)

This is central Athens by the way...The snowfall in the country is far more impressive!

post-2587-1203257505_thumb.jpg

post-2587-1203257522_thumb.jpg

post-2587-1203257540_thumb.jpg

post-2587-1203257565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

Looking at those pictures, I could have put up with it. lol :angry: Mind you I was staying at the Divani Caravel so it could have been quite expensive!!!!

Posted

those photos look more like parts of N America never mind Athens; if the piccs from the countryside are even more impressive I'd love to see tham.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Simply amazing, I think the average maximum for Athens at this time of year is about 12°C but it will be around 0°C today!

I guess that setup is as perfect as it could get, and similar in many way to our borderline snow events when the siberian high and a stalled Atlantic low is evident (only in a meridional sense)

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I think the fact that Greece is getting all that snow and cold its like they have been stealing our winters these last number of years. Its another greek tradgedy i tell you! :angry:

Posted

A couple of more pics of today. Of course it is not like Sweden or Norway but it is quite rare to see so much snow in Athens.

post-2587-1203292308_thumb.jpg

post-2587-1203292675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

A webcam of the Acropolis, but can't see it at the moment!

http://www.123-cams.com/live-webcam.php?va...camadrianou.asp

and another one that seems to be further out of town:

http://www.periz.dial.pipex.com/hwpr.htm

post-2587-1203295202_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
o..k.. wahs up with this thats nothing, i ve jst come back from New England in Vermont and they had 3ft of fresh snow on weds! haha it was lush lol, that made it lke 6ft of snow:P

Looks like a lot of people in the countryside got well over 3ft of snow on Sunday, so comparable.

Posted
A couple of more pics of today. Of course it is not like Sweden or Norway but it is quite rare to see so much snow in Athens.

Or indeed in the UK!!! :lol:

Great pictures Sno'problem :good:

Posted

Its enough to make you cry.

This has been happening all too often in the last few years. Snow in Greece (every winter), snow in Spain, snow in southern Italy, and we're talking proper snow here, and we get absolutely naff all. Nada, zero, zilch.

Posted

Yep, they have been very lucky in Greece across recent Winters, but as in most walks of life someones loss is someone elses gain.

Anyway I think the inhabitants of Athens are far from lucky today, with temps already up to 9c the thaw must be rapid and very messy I'd imagine.

Posted

Lucy them! here only heavy wind and cold! if LP was born some undreds km to west, my zone' d have 30-40 cm of snow!

1°-3° and very dry air, min Dew Point -14.1°!!!!!

Posted
Lucy them! here only heavy wind and cold! if LP was born some undreds km to west, my zone' d have 30-40 cm of snow!

snow can look impressive in athens but rarely lasts longer than a day or two then mild bounces back. rather like London, though perhaps more to be expected in athens.

In the mountains of greece though , they get a load of snow most winters, and the snow stays on the mountains into June in many years, even in the south of greece, the pelopponese, and crete. the north has a particlarly continental climate, it is cold in the winter in the north of greece, and people wear fur coats.

Edited by jimmyay

Posted

I amazed by that dewpoint! Is that normal in SE Italy at this time of year?

Yet again, the common occurrence of perfect temps for snowy ppn, but nothing around to fall!

(This is Scoot speaking from London...not my lucky business partner Pavlos in Athens. He enjoyed it thoroughly)

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
I amazed by that dewpoint! Is that normal in SE Italy at this time of year?

Yet again, the common occurrence of perfect temps for snowy ppn, but nothing around to fall!

(This is Scoot speaking from London...not my lucky business partner Pavlos in Athens. He enjoyed it thoroughly)

absolutely not normal in any season.

the condition was very unusual: -12° at 850hPa and only -27° at 500hPa but the air was extremly dry!

some dew point in the south Italy of last week-end

-17.5°C Foggia

-17,0°C San Giovanni Rotondo (FG)

-14.1° Lecce ovest (17-02)

-13.7°C Squinzano(LE)

-12.0°C Mirabella Eclano (AV)

-11.7°C Montalto Uffugo (CS)

-11.4°C Venosa (PZ)

-11.1°C Taverna(CZ)

-7.6°C Sannicola (LE)

the underline town, are at level of see.

in the NE Italy, in the Alpes at 1400 m, DewPoint -24.4° only 10% of humidity relative!!!

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation...6&year=2008