Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scandinavia

Posted

6-9c across large swathes of Arctic Norway this morning - spent several Winters up there in the past and freeze/thaw conditions are not unheard of, but I'd suggest 9c is extreme, even by modern day standards.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The WRC at Sweden earlier in the week saw a couple of stages

abandoned because of mild weather conditions.

Posted

Our installation/commissioning team have just returned from Finland and all the engineers at the factory, 100km North of Helsinki, were commenting on the unusually mild winter there.

Posted
Hi JT. At a guess, I would say its not extreme (especially as it is not unheard of) but well above normal.

Extreme doesn't have to mean "unheard of"Chris.

9c during the first half of February would have a return period of about 50yrs, so although probably not unprecedented, as a near once in a lifeltime event it qualifies as extreme IMO.

Edited by jemtom

Posted
it qualifies as extreme IMO.

Thats fair enough JT. We all have an opinion, and in a context where there is no definition, each person will have their own.

By the way, you've titled the thread Scandinavia, but have reported on Arctic Norway. Any news on the rest of Norway, Sweden and Denmark (although I would guess that the later has seen similar +ve in relation to their norm)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Yes obviously pretty unseasonable and uncommon. But just to note that the NH has been colder in Jan 2008 than the average Jan for the 20th century. So as I have been saying some place has to be warm and some place very cold...just our [scandi/W Europe] turn lately...so in all more cold than warm at present. Let's see what the figures are for Feb but I guess the same.

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I was up in Fagernes (Oppland) two weeks ago, and the temps ranged from -27C to -4C whilst I was there. Chatting to the locals they said that this year was their best year for snow in 12 years, and it was falling like there was no tmrw. Regional and National differences abound.

Posted
I was up in Fagernes (Oppland) two weeks ago, and the temps ranged from -27C to -4C whilst I was there. Chatting to the locals they said that this year was their best year for snow in 12 years, and it was falling like there was no tmrw. Regional and National differences abound.

Unlike the UK of course mild weather in Scandinavia generally mean greater amounts of snow, with colder Winters tending to be dominate by drier conditions.

I've not seen any stats yet re the Winter as a whole across Scandi, but I would expect this one to prove unseasonably mild across all 4 countries, with the greater warmth anomolies likely the farther north you travel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please
Unlike the UK of course mild weather in Scandinavia generally mean greater amounts of snow, with colder Winters tending to be dominate by drier conditions.

I've not seen any stats yet re the Winter as a whole across Scandi, but I would expect this one to prove unseasonably mild across all 4 countries, with the greater warmth anomolies likely the farther north you travel.

Average temps for Fagernes are High -3C and Low -10C ... so I guess -4C to -27C shows actually cooler than the average but well within the norm, like I said, regional differences abound.

That said this report shows what December was like:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CDB/...ratropics.shtml

Posted
Average temps for Fagernes are High -3C and Low -10C ... so I guess -4C to -27C shows actually cooler than the average but well within the norm, like I said, regional differences abound.

That said this report shows what December was like:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CDB/...ratropics.shtml

Tks for that link Matt.

December pretty much bears out my thoughts, but those anomolies across Finland in particular look even greater than I expected. Will be interesting to see how the Winter as a whole pans out, but talking to friends near Sundsvall, Sweden recently it's been one of the mildest Winter there that either can remember - and both of them can go back a bit too.... ;)

I've also heard about those snow anomalies, here in Sweden much inland and in the mountain regions the snow depths are quite big, not due to cold weather what most people think, but to milder and more moistrous conditions, which have been here the whole winter. And because of the avg. temps a normal year inland are around -10'c in the winter, a few degrees more doesn't make any difference, the day temps just stay more close to zero by giving bigger intensity when it snows. But if you live more near the coastal regions like Stockholm and Oslo and so on, the winter climate becomes much more sensitive, a few degrees more completely ruins winter since avg temps are just a few degrees below zero. And because of that the winter here where i live has mostly been completely snow free. Just a few snaps with snow depth for a couple of days, but really nothing special. February is the month here you think should be very cold with snow and -10'c days, but now it is a +4'c outside, warm sun and chirping birds, nothing i can remember i've seen in my life this far!

Edited by Sillkalven

Posted
I've also heard about those snow anomalies, here in Sweden much inland and in the mountain regions the snow depths are quite big, not due to cold weather what most people think, but to milder and more moistrous conditions, which have been here the whole winter. And because of the avg. temps a normal year inland are around -10'c in the winter, a few degrees more doesn't make any difference, the day temps just stay more close to zero by giving bigger intensity when it snows. But if you live more near the coastal regions like Stockholm and Oslo and so on, the winter climate becomes much more sensitive, a few degrees more completely ruins winter since avg temps are just a few degrees below zero. And because of that the winter here where i live has mostly been completely snow free. Just a few snaps with snow depth for a couple of days, but really nothing special. February is the month here you think should be very cold with snow and -10'c days, but now it is a +4'c outside, warm sun and chirping birds, nothing i can remember i've seen in my life this far!

Hi Sillkalven - Our friends near Sunsvall are reporting much the same as you describe, despite being a good deal farther north than your location.

4c must feel very Springlike for you in the middle of February, but here in the UK we saw 18.2c yesterday - that's more like Summer than Spring... :D

Please keep up your reports from Sweden, they are fascinating.

Posted

Well, the official data (from DNMI - met.no) speaks for itself:

Fagernes - 365 amsl.

January came in 5,8 ºC above the 1961 - 90 mean. February is currently (1-17) 4,0 ºC above.

January 08

Avg.: -4,7 ºC (the avg. is -10,5 ºC)

Avg. low: -8,1 ºC

Avg. high: -1,4 ºC

High: 8,0 ºC

Low: -20,8 ºC

Edited by SIG100

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Well, the official data (from DNMI - met.no) speaks for itself:

Fagernes - 365 amsl.

January came in 5,8 ºC above the 1961 - 90 mean. February is currently (1-17) 4,0 ºC above.

January 08

Avg.: -4,7 ºC (the avg. is -10,5 ºC)

Avg. low: -8,1 ºC

Avg. high: -1,4 ºC

High: 8,0 ºC

Low: -20,8 ºC

Currently sitting in Balmy Oslo where the official temp is 8C, but down at sealevel, where I am looking out over the fjord, it feels decidedly warmer ... say 10C ... That is BLOODY warm for this time of year. Dark black clouds outside almost look summer storm like, high, foreboding and with an air of instability.

BUT there is a bit of a cold spell coming next week if the models and ensembles are to be believed.