Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cat 5

Spring

As it says on the tin really...

I have already started to notice the days stretching and birds singing. Usually tell tale signs that Spring is not too far away.

When is the official start of Spring?

I was always under the understanding that spring started on the 21st March (my birthday) but others disagree.

Metoerlogically - 01st March

Astronomically - 21st March

Realistically...January 4th :lol:

I was always under the understanding that spring started on the 21st March (my birthday) but others disagree.

Thanks for the reminder Katie!!!! :lol:

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary states that spring comprises "in the northern hemisphere usually the months of March, April, May, or as reckoned astronomically extending from the vernal equinox (March 20) to the June solstice (June 21)."

The Meteorological Office classes the first day of spring as 1 March, saying March, April and May are regarded as the spring months. But traditionally spring has started on the night of 20/21 March and a row has erupted over the official date.

"You would not regard the first three weeks of June as spring, yet historically summer does not start until 21 June," says a spokesman for the Met Office. "Equally, the bulk of people now regard 1 March as the first day of spring."

But disgruntled MPs are questioning "on whose authority" the date has been changed.

"They may say that 1 March is the first day of spring - which it is not - but it certainly doesn't feel like it," says the seasonally named Sir Nicholas Winterton, Conservative MP for Macclesfield.

He is supported by Stuart Bell, Labour MP for Middlesbrough, who says: "Spring starts on March 20/21 and if the Met Office are not aware of this simple fact, it reflects a casual approach to facts, which is all too inherent today."

Thanks Guys - I think I will go with the 1st March... I have had enough of Winter!

Bring back the BBQ's!!

spring starts on 1st march, 3 months for each season except for autumn which is 6 months 1st sep-28/29th feb

This year Spring actually starts on the 20th March (the time of the equinox varies from year to year).

Although meteorologists, being grumpy old sods, insist it starts on 1st March as otherwise it makes their seasonal records too complicated to work out B)

Of course the real question is when does winter start? Best guess is sometime in the next 6,000 years. If we're lucky :)

this argument/discussion each year really amuses me. Quite why MP's should get so hot under the collar is best explained by them.

Spring, other than meteorological, has always been 21 March - no argument.

Equally in the meteorological calendar the seasons have always been split in whole months with Spring being allocated 1 March -31 May - again no argument.

What is so difficult about having two?

Hey Katie loo, I'm with you

cos its my birthday too--LOL

Hey Katie loo, I'm with you

cos its my birthday too--LOL

As I said,you're b*ggered this year cos it's MArch 20th :)

btw totally agree with John.

Of course, in some places Spring starts in September :)

He is supported by Stuart Bell, Labour MP for Middlesbrough, who says: "Spring starts on March 20/21 and if the Met Office are not aware of this simple fact, it reflects a casual approach to facts, which is all too inherent today."

Oh dear, typical politician speak. They just can't help themselves.

Oh dear, typical politician speak. They just can't help themselves.

Indeed I think Stuart Bell should take a course on identity, symbolism and relativity, he might learn a few things

I was always under the understanding that spring started on the 21st March (my birthday)

Was that a hint? :) How young will you be?

But officially Spring, like in 2007 began in April and Summer began, erm... It didn't come to think of it!

Friday 20th July 2007. Never seen so much rain, and the rest... Nuff said. The Summer that never was. I might even write a book about that. :)

Phil.

In Sweden we say that spring begins when the average temp is above 0'c at least 7 days in a row (winter, the opposite, below 0'c a longer period), and when it usually occur depends a lot where in the country you are. In the very south, Malmö usually gets above in the middle of February, in Stockholm sometime after the middle of March and further up north later of course, in Kiruna it stretches into May with snow at ground nearly to June. But this year the criteria for winter was barely fulfilled in the south, and since the end of December it has not been any longer than some small dips below zero, so the spring has been here since January, but constant greyness with 0'c at morning and some degs above mid day with some drizzle doesn't feel especially spring like!