Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

multi cellular thunderstorm

Formula One - 2008 Season

Here's a new thread for the new season.

Calendar:

16 March 2008: Australia, Melbourne

23 March: Malaysia, Sepang

6 April: Bahrain, Manama

27 April: Spain, Barcelona

11May: Turkey, Istanbul

25 May: Monaco, Monte Carlo

8 June: Canada, Montreal

22 June: France, Magny-Cours

6 July: Great Britain, Silverstone

20 July: Germany, Hockenheim

3 August: Hungary, Budapest

24 August: Europe, Valencia

7 September: Belgium, Spa-Francorchamps

14 September: Italy, Monza

28 September: Singapore (evening race)

12 October: Japan, Fuji

19 October: China, Shanghai

2 November: Brazil, Interlagos

Teams and drivers:

FERRARI - Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa

WILLIAMS - Nico Rosberg, Kazuki Nakajima

SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO - Sebastien Bourdais, Sebastian Vettel

FORCE INDIA - Giancarlo Fisichella, Adrian Sutil

BMW SAUBER - Nick Heidfeld, Robert Kubica

RED BULL RACING - David Coulthard, Mark Webber

HONDA - Rubens Barrichello, Jenson Button

McLAREN - Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen

RENAULT - Fernando Alonso, Nelson Piquet Jr

TOYOTA - Jarno Trulli, Timo Glock

SUPER AGURI - Anthony Davidson, Takuma Sato (Not yet confirmed)

Traction control is banned for this year, which could make things a little more interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/6511907.stm

I see some disgusting behaviour at Spain at the weekend during Lewis Hamilton's shakedown tests. Is it racial or just bad blood because of Alonso?

Webber in the Red Bull could be a man to watch this season....

Quite shocking behaviour there, hopefully this Stops NOW.

Quite shocking behaviour there, hopefully this Stops NOW.

Well Bernie thinks its a one off!

CLICKY

Fernando Alonso believes Lewis Hamilton will find his second Formula One season easier and could win the world title.

Following a bitter battle for the title last year, after which neither driver came out on top, Alonso has told the BBC: ‘After one year's experience things become easier and that will give him an advantage."

Alonso was then asked if Hamilton could win the world title, to which he replied: ‘Possibly, yes.’

The Spanish driver expects Hamilton to come back even better, armed with all the experience he gained in his first season in F1.

‘After a year, you know all the circuits and how the races go,’ Alonso, 26, added.

‘You understand the pressures so there are many things that will give him an advantage compared to last year.’

Source: www.pistonheads.com

Interesting. Some sources actually think the opposite- i.e. the pressure of expectation will be higher. It will be interesting to see at any rate.

Winners..

FERRARI - Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa

McLAREN - Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen

HONDA - Rubens Barrichello, Jenson Button

RED BULL RACING - David Coulthard, Mark Webber

BMW SAUBER - Nick Heidfeld, Robert Kubica

Middle Ground..

TOYOTA - Jarno Trulli, Timo Glock

RENAULT - Fernando Alonso, Nelson Piquet Jr

FORCE INDIA - Giancarlo Fisichella, Adrian Sutil

SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO - Sebastien Bourdais, Sebastian Vettel

WILLIAMS - Nico Rosberg, Kazuki Nakajima

Losers..

SUPER AGURI - Anthony Davidson, Takuma Sato (Not yet confirmed)

Thats my points of note in terms of the teams, as for the races, here are my predictions..

16 March 2008: Australia, Melbourne:

23 March: Malaysia, Sepang: McLAREN - Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen

6 April: Bahrain, Manama:

27 April: Spain, Barcelona:

11May: Turkey, Istanbul: FERRARI - Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa

25 May: Monaco, Monte Carlo: McLAREN - Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen

8 June: Canada, Montreal:

22 June: France, Magny-Cours: FERRARI - Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa

6 July: Great Britain, Silverstone:

20 July: Germany, Hockenheim:

3 August: Hungary, Budapest:

24 August: Europe, Valencia:

7 September: Belgium, Spa-Francorchamps: FERRARI - Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa

14 September: Italy, Monza: McLAREN - Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen

28 September: Singapore (evening race):

12 October: Japan, Fuji:

19 October: China, Shanghai:

2 November: Brazil, Interlagos: FERRARI - Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa

I do expect this to be another Ferrari season for the constructors, however i do think that McLaren will be close, however i do think that this season will be quite open, with Honda, Red Bull and BMW all scoring heavy points.

Mclaren have been superior in final testing- esp lewis

S

Williams team co-owner wants fastest F1 cars at back of the grid

Patrick Head: F1 is boring The fastest cars in Formula One should be put at the back of the grid to make it more interesting, Williams team co-owner Patrick Head believes. The F1 boss is proposing a radical shake-up of the sport to make it more interesting. This would involve putting the fastest cars at the back and the slowest on the front.

‘I would like to see the grids in reverse order of championship position," Head told BBC Sport.

‘It's the same for everybody, and over a whole season the right guy would still win the championship.’

However he believes the scheme would ‘very much upset the purists’ but wants the FIA, the sport’s governing body, to be ‘a bit more adventurous’. A number of changes are introduced each year to make F1 more interesting but Head believes none have been successful.

‘If you allow the guys to do all this practice and testing and then you line them up with the fastest at the front and the slowest at the back, why should there be any overtaking?’ he added. ‘Maybe overtaking will be less difficult, but if a guy is back there because he is 0.3 seconds slower than the car in front, why should he overtake [it]?’

Great idea, it works in Stock car races :unknw:

Williams team co-owner wants fastest F1 cars at back of the grid

Great idea, it works in Stock car races :unknw:

And touring cars - I'm all for it!

it would make for some interesting watching which is what he is trying to achieve. I wonder what his and other drivers are thinking about it?

the trouble is, i think, is that would drivers manipulate the practrice sessions in order to go slower, thus getting closer to the front of the grid :unknw:

stop those counting and simply put people on the grid in the reverse order they finished the last race. The first one of the season use the last race from the previous season!

the trouble is, i think, is that would drivers manipulate the practrice sessions in order to go slower, thus getting closer to the front of the grid :unknw:

Patrick Head's suggestion was to use the championship standings to determine the grid order to avoid 'manipulation' of the qualifying session.

I would say maybe we should make saturday qualifying a 25 lap (or maybe 1 hour) sprint race with a mandatory tyre change mid race with the start grid in reverse of the championship standings. Championship points available for this race and the main race.

stop those counting and simply put people on the grid in the reverse order they finished the last race. The first one of the season use the last race from the previous season!

I like it! It would make the events so much more exiting to watch and drivers would really have to earn their positions using skill and tactics. It would also give the smaller teams a better chance of keeping up at the front and even out the grid a bit.

Having watched stock cars a few times, the gold tops normally come through the pack in the end, but every lap is interesting rather than a parade of the fastest through to the slowest.

I'm also looking froward to Singapore at night, I think they should have done it under normal streetlight though and given all the cars headlights with just dipped beam!

which would do away with the practice sessions, a great idea, but i reckon F1A would not be willing to lose gate money for watching the practice sessions.

I'm also looking froward to Singapore at night, I think they should have done it under normal streetlight though and given all the cars headlights with just dipped beam!

Should be fab! The motorbike GP looked fantastic!

Should be fab! The motorbike GP looked fantastic!

I suppose we could keep the system as it is now, but make everybody reverse around the track - now that would be worth watching!

I enjoyed it too. Usually The Oz GP is a bit boring, but this one wasn't.

Happy for Hamilton. Faultless drive today.

Pity Button had to retire. I would have liked to see how he would have performed. The Honda seems much better than first thought, as Barrichello showed.

Ferrari will be back, I'm sure, for the next race. Cant say I shed any tears for them today though. Never been a fan.

Also BMW are showing that they may force their way into the reckoning for wins too.

So on to Sepang next week.

Gutted... I was there last year, it was fantastic. Bloody hot though!

2008-03-16t131404z_01_nootr_rtridsp_2_ouksp-uk-motor-racing-prix.jpg

Get in there the boy Hamilton!!!!!!!

Excellent race and a good start to the season.

A supe race and a fantastic win for Hamilton.

I think todays race proves just how much the cars, and in particular the drivers, depended on the electronic gadgetry from seasons past. I hope that without the Traction Control aid, at the very least, this will become the besty season for many years. Mistakes WILL continue to be made :good: .

wonderful comment from DC :o

think PM will be keeping out of his way !

Lots of cars wet around a track today... someone won... I missed the end.. and the start... and much of the bit in between. Wasn't all that interested.