Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meto Cold Snap Warnings etc.

Aby

Posted
UKMO warning out.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Midlands south eastwards looks like a non starter.

The Meto are professional forecasters and will only put out a warning when they have a high confidence in an outcome.

The range the warnings so far given, are too early to predict with any accuracy mesoscale features such as polar-low development.

This early warning should therefore not be taken as their final word and will change either way as we approach the immediate timeframe.

ffO.

Posted
UKMO warning out.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Midlands south eastwards looks like a non starter.

Remember though, its a warning for 'Severe' weather, and gives warnings for 'Risk of Disruption'.

It doesnt indicate that no snow will fall from the midlands southwards, but the risk does not warrant a severe weather warning. As with all of these situations, flash warnings will be issued, and the general/advanced warning will be updated.

Posted
quite correct Chris

Welcome back JH. Can we please cut down on the one liners in this thread! HAHAHAHHAHA Just Kidding :(

Great to see you back your input has been sorely missed in the last few days. Hope you had a good trip. :)

Posted
Remember though, its a warning for 'Severe' weather, and gives warnings for 'Risk of Disruption'.

It doesnt indicate that no snow will fall from the midlands southwards, but the risk does not warrant a severe weather warning. As with all of these situations, flash warnings will be issued, and the general/advanced warning will be updated.

I thought the prospect of any snow warranted a severe weather warning for the south!! :)

Seriously though - I think the met office have been spot on so far as opposed to the GFS which seems to model along the lines of a hysterical teenager at times!! - perhaps the 18z could give us a snow hurricane for the south tonight! :)

Shame really -- at times I'd like to live in GFS world :(

Posted

That kind of warning is comes standard with a polar maritime NW'erly like this. I remember a few years back we had about 3 inches of snow because the wind changed to a NW'erly during a Northerly blast :(

Posted
Welcome back JH. Can we please cut down on the one liners in this thread! HAHAHAHHAHA Just Kidding :(

Great to see you back your input has been sorely missed in the last few days. Hope you had a good trip. :)

great thanks, I'm posting again in the thread Nick F started, and will, once up to speed, go with my 7 days+ ideas again.

Some funny ideas, to get back on topic, about what/when/how the Met O should issue warnings, some things never change.

Posted

If you live in the Southern half of the country your main concern is with the pottential for 70mph plus winds tommorrow, any snowfall is most likely going to be on Sunday and this is a little to far off to make predictions about disruption as it's difficult to forecast the amount of snow expected until about 24 hours before the event! :)