Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A breakthrough or a disaster in the making?

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7196812.stm

I just read this article on 'the beeb' website and would appreciate feedback on this article...Scientists have apparently found a way to neutralize replication of the ebola virus. This of course, could be an amazing breakthrough in stopping the threat of epidemics of fatal filoviruses, but it begs the question of whether or not the necessary precautions will be put in place to ensure that this 'safe-ebola' could not make its way into the general populous and wreaking havoc..As the old saying goes...'nature finds a way' ....I , myself, am horrified at the prospect of such a virus, even in a 'neutered' form, in the hands of scientists/technicians in 'general laborotory conditions' as hinted at in the article

Posted

Not too sure about this one.

I was surprised to read that Scientists would like to test such vaccines on terminal patients. That is scary.

Posted

I guess we shouldn't stop progress, all I say is these words: biosecurity at Pirbright

Aj mate.....we don't elect these scientists and apparently have no say as to what they do.It is horrifying to think of the power they wield and the mistakes that can/will be made.Did not the Blue tongue virus somehow escape from similar a 'safe' establishment?

Posted
I guess we shouldn't stop progress, all I say is these words: biosecurity at Pirbright

Not everyone is that sloppy.

Aj mate.....we don't elect these scientists and apparently have no say as to what they do.It is horrifying to think of the power they wield and the mistakes that can/will be made.Did not the Blue tongue virus somehow escape from similar a 'safe' establishment?

Are you scared of scientists? Other people who are qualified have a say in what scientists do, would you like the general public to have a veto on what can be done? Scientists are responsible people in general and like all lines of work sometimes accidents happen but as I'm sure you'll agree they are somewhat rare. Speaking from my own branch of science I have the technical know-how to make explosives, poisons and mind altering substances, as do thousands of others but we don't do it.

I believe the bluetongue virus has made a natural progression.

Posted

But then it only takes one.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

My big concern with this research is complacency, namely fewer stringent precautions would be put into place because the neutered virus would seem far more benign, then 'mother nature' plays one of her quirky little games, et voila, we have a mutated strain, easily transmittable, nuking a good chunk of the general populous, and before you know it, I'm dead as a dodo, and to paraphrase 'Blackadder' on my tombstone it will say 'Here lays Ajpoolshark- and he's bloody annoyed'!!

Are you scared of scientists? Other people who are qualified have a say in what scientists do, would you like the general public to have a veto on what can be done? Scientists are responsible people in general and like all lines of work sometimes accidents happen but as I'm sure you'll agree they are somewhat rare. Speaking from my own branch of science I have the technical know-how to make explosives, poisons and mind altering substances, as do thousands of others but we don't do it.

I believe the bluetongue virus has made a natural progression.

No I'm not at all scared of scientists?Erm... a veto for the public,is that maybe democracy?If a baker makes a mistake you get hard pasties................if a god awful human manufactured virus is released by a lets say tired lab technician it'll be tough cookies for us all- more a matter of degree of consequences for a mishap was my point.

I thought the bluetongue epidemic had been linked to a research centre's outlet pipe or the like........my mistake............yes you're right we all make mistakes.And i'm so pleased that scientists can make explosives etc but don't......oops must go a programme about Oppenheimer's about to begin B)

Edited by hannegan