Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Birds and spring displays

Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

For the past week or so the birds around here seem to have taken it upon themselves to declare spring. both the male great and Blue Tits are singing their territorial/mating songs. The Male Chaffinches are likewise seemingly ahead of themselves with both display and a brightening of their plumage.

I know that they reckon spring is arriving ever earlier but surely not in the middle of Jan!!

Anyone else got birds with 'Spring Fever'?

Posted

No

But I thought I heard my hedgehog shuffling about this morning - ironically on the coldest morning of the year so far!

Posted

Yeah got the same thing here Wolfie lots of bird song.The Rooks were displaying in the Rookery over the back. This weather has them totally confused.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I saw a man in his seventies, wearing just a thong on a nudist beach under the cliff, near Sandfire Hoe near Dover at the weekend.

He was digging for fossils.

I don't know if this is courtship behaviour but it did seem rather unseasonal. Also he had gone bright pink, could this be classed as plumage?

Also my frogs are starting to get 'jiggy with it' in my pond but that's nothing unusual for this time of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Indeed there are many birds singing, in fact we had a chorus this morning at dawn!

Blue tits, various finches like you say and also Thrushes getting in on the act, havent seen a Song Thrush for a while actually so surprising to hear its once familar tune.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I think alot of birds start singing in the winter, certainly around here they start around this time every year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
I think alot of birds start singing in the winter, certainly around here they start around this time every year.

Singing their territorial songs/"Look at me" songs is one thing but donning their spring livery is another surely? I always though things like that were tied in with the angle of the spring sun (as is our own 'Testosterone flush') but our Charlie Chaffinch is certainly Pinking up his breast and slate greying his noggin.

Just wondered if anyone else was seeing behaviours not typical for their region for the time of year.

Any peep at the British Phrenology site will show how varied 'start times' for many spring sign/activities can be in our fair isles...............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Singing their territorial songs/"Look at me" songs is one thing but donning their spring livery is another surely? I always though things like that were tied in with the angle of the spring sun (as is our own 'Testosterone flush') but our Charlie Chaffinch is certainly Pinking up his breast and slate greying his noggin.

Just wondered if anyone else was seeing behaviours not typical for their region for the time of year.

Any peep at the British Phrenology site will show how varied 'start times' for many spring sign/activities can be in our fair isles...............

I think it's normal for some birds to start becoming more terratorial again at this time and robins all year round, as for the plumage I don't know but some of the male chaffinches around here seem to kept most of their colour from summer all through autumn and winter. :rolleyes:

Edited by James M

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Locally, certain birds have already started visiting nest boxes(esp. Blue Tits) to check out nesting sites. Overall its been very mild so its no surprise that its happening. This only really causes early nesters problems if harsh cold arrives later on in March/April when eggs are laid and waiting to hatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Yes, I started a thread in 'Outdoor Life' back in mid December

about my Collared Doves nesting in a conifer tree.

Saw her yesterday still adding sticks, lol.

As for Spring-like birdsong, I reckon it's the Robins and Grt Tits

here that are most obvious in the last couple of weeks.

Lovely it is too.

No frog spawn as yet, but I've seen some frogs about on the odd

warmer, wet day.

Cheers,

BL x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Birds are really singing around here in tropical Suffolk. Infact the upcoming very mild and sunny conditions should bring us out into full blown Spring.

Mammatus :lol:

Posted

Posted this in another thread earlier, but I think it has relevance here too:

According to the Woodland Trust:

'Mounting evidence suggests spring is arriving early this year' and 'The trust said some species of frogs, butterflies and plants have become "startlingly" active.'

Read more here