Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Total Eclipse Of the moon February 21st 2008

Sonia

Posted

Across the whole of the UK. An early morning event running through to the start of dawn so an alarm might be in order. The transition occurs between the two regions isnt sharp, and as the moon moes through the outer penumbra toward the umbra, a definite darkening occurs along one edge of the Moon until eventually the dark umbra makes itself known as a dark bite encrouching on the surface. The umbra is the earths shadow which the sunlight is blocked. The atmosphere is refracted which decreases the dark of the umbra. The moon will be redish or a hue.

First contact @ 00h 35m

Umbral contact @ 01h 43m

Start of totality @ 03h 01m

Greatest eclipse @ 03h 26m

end of totslity @ 03h 52m

Last umbral contact @ 05h 09m

Last penumbral contact @ 06h 17m

Posted

Now you can guarentee thats the one night I will be tired.

Oon it must look awesome through your scope, is there a way you can link up your scope with a camera or computer to get pics?

Posted

Hi Louby i use Autostar Suite that i put up on the laptop with my 10" Goto scope, also can get a camera adapter.

I have a pic on my laptop at Tony's that ill put up later of last years eclipse.

I was taught to do astrophotography at my astronomical society also a lesson when i purchased the telescope.

Posted

:D Look forward to seeing it!!

Would love to get into astrophotography but I think the hubby would have a fit if I asked him to get me the stuff!

Posted

The software depending on what type is expensive but a camera adapter for a telescope doesnt cost as much.

Posted
Now you can guarentee thats the one night I will be tired.

Oon it must look awesome through your scope, is there a way you can link up your scope with a camera or computer to get pics?

Actually, a lunar eclipse is, in my opinion, a naked-eye event. Once you look through a telescope, you just lose the sense of scale and things. My pictures were taken with my Canon and 300mm lens.

Posted

As were mine Oon, well on the Nikon, I was just curious more than anything what it would look like a bit closer up.

Thanks Sonia, will pass them onto Joe when he is in a good mood :D

Posted

Thanks for posting this, I will definitely make a note of the date, and set an alarm - mind you, might need to try and go to bed a little earlier first...

And I will look forward to seeing some more photos of the event on here if, fingers crossed, we get a nice clear night. Definitely not one for my little digital to even attempt!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Bump!

Just to remind people of this event this week.

Posted

A fairly good chance of seeing it here at a more civilized hour too, as 0326z is 7:26 pm in my time zone.

Skies here are partly cloudy at 4 pm, but the cloud is mostly elevated fog and should begin to dissipate after sunset.

Not much experience with astro-photopgraphy but we'll give it a try. Looks to me as though you would need to be in the southwest or south central coastal counties of England to have much of a chance to see this.