Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Davis VP2 strange anemometer problems

Posted

Hi all :) I just noticed about two hours ago now that the anemometer from my Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station is being a bit odd. :doh: (and also at the worst of times!) indeed it was a bit surprising hearing a rather strong breeze on the northwest side of the house but my weather station reporting 0mph! and heres the strange bit, it is still measuring wind direction perfictly! so it cant be a connestion/reception problem. I have been outside and checked with a torch and the anemometer cups are spinning as normal, yet no readings, exept every now and again when i get 1mph! and other times it suddenly starts working as normal for a short while. I first thought the problem had started today but looking at the data it looks like the problem started yesterday. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problems, or knew how to sort it out?

And i certainly hope it has not gone wrong already as i only bought it in october! :doh:

Thanks.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
Hi all :) I just noticed about two hours ago now that the anemometer from my Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station is being a bit odd. :D (and also at the worst of times!) indeed it was a bit surprising hearing a rather strong breeze on the northwest side of the house but my weather station reporting 0mph! and heres the strange bit, it is still measuring wind direction perfictly! so it cant be a connestion/reception problem. I have been outside and checked with a torch and the anemometer cups are spinning as normal, yet no readings, exept every now and again when i get 1mph! and other times it suddenly starts working as normal for a short while. I first thought the problem had started today but looking at the data it looks like the problem started yesterday. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problems, or knew how to sort it out?

And i certainly hope it has not gone wrong already as i only bought it in october! :D

Thanks.

I had this exact problem too. Mine was down to water ingress into the connectors (i spliced it to make it longer), so they are now embedded in silicone. Another thing it could be is the actual cups have come away from the housing a little, so this means they are not triggering the reed. May be worth taking it down (after checking connectors) fixing the grub screw a little further in (this is located on the bottom of the cup assembly i think), then this should hold it in place.

If neither of those work then it would be best to get in contact with the retailer you bought it from.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

They have a well known problem with the reed switch. You'll need to contact your dealer for a replacement. Is it still under warranty???

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi again all. :) I forgot about this for a bit and havn't really found time to reply again until now, but what happend was it seemed to just 'self fix' its self and has been working perfectly ever since! :unsure: :D Very odd!

since then i have been up and tightend the screw thing on the cup assembly (forgotten its proper name) and made sure there is no other problems and it continues to work just fine! infact it recorded a gust of 46mph here today.

if it goes wrong again then ill just have to contact the retailer and replace it as people have said as it is still under warranty until Oct 08 :D