Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lightning But No Thunder

Posted

Hi Guys

This morning from around 7am we had torrential rain, we also had lots of sheet lightning every few minutes which was a brilliant blue colour. What surprised me was during this time of lightning we did not have one clap of thunder.

Wht caused this I always thought thunder followed lightning. Over to the experts here.

Brian

Posted

How close was the lightning Brian?

Because it was dark at that time it's possible the lightning looked closer than it actually was, sheet lightning can be confusing in that way.

Also, it could have been a high-based storm when even overhead thunder is quieter than you may expect (except when CGs happen!).

Posted
How close was the lightning Brian?

Because it was dark at that time it's possible the lightning looked closer than it actually was, sheet lightning can be confusing in that way.

Also, it could have been a high-based storm when even overhead thunder is quieter than you may expect (except when CGs happen!).

Hi Andy Bown, I would have to say it was close as it was dimming lights and the brightest part appeared to be overhead, it lasted for an hour and every flash could be heard on the FM radio.

Edited by Brian McGrath

Posted
Hi Andy Bown, I would have to say it was close as it was dimming lights and the brightest part appeared to be overhead, it lasted for an hour and every flash could be heard on the FM radio.

Brian I have just read this which is a little spooky as we were talking about it here. We had thunder and lightning this morning around 6.30- 7.00am but I think I was one of the few who heard it. There was also some thunder and lightning later around 11.00am.

Posted

Hi Roisin

We had a lot of lightning this morning which was very bright but no thunder, now I have never seen lightning without thunder,I know you can see a lightning storm miles away but this was close.

Posted

how can you here a flash? :doh:

Posted

The static crackles on an AM/FM Radio I think thats what Brian meant

**Sounds like the Storm was High Based as Andy says, sometimes French Imports here have an amazing amount of Lightning with no Thunder, and did you also know that Electrical Storms are not picked up on Radar sometimes as no Rainfall is being measured.

Paul S

Posted

As Paul says it was the static on the radio also correct me if I am wrong but I am told if a flash of Lightning is very close to you it makes a loud crack followed by instant thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I notice sometimes in the larger summer thunderstorms, there are a lot more flashes than thunderclaps. Some are silent perhaps because the wind up there with the clouds takes the noise away? After all there are strong winds up at altitude with these convective electrical storms.

Russ

Posted
As Paul says it was the static on the radio also correct me if I am wrong but I am told if a flash of Lightning is very close to you it makes a loud crack followed by instant thunder.

Depends on wether it is a Cg or CC Brian. Also wether the Storm is High or Surface Based makes a big difference.

a, If a Cg lands within 1/4 of a Mile then the Crack and Bang would be deafening.

b, If a CC Strikes from a Surface based storm then the Thunder will also be quite instantaneous.

c, If the Storm is High Based the Strike will be bright but you may not hear the Thunder at all, or you may hear a low rumbling sound up to 1 minute after you saw the Initial Flash

Paul S

Posted

Yes, silent/quiet lightning is quite common here in 'plume' setups.

In summer 2005, I was right in the middle of the New Forest, at near midnight with near continuous strobe lightning directly above in some mid-level storms. However, there was no rain and only the very faintest of rumbles, only just audible in the silence of the night. An erie experience.

Posted

Thanks to all for the replies, I know now its something that can happen but its my first time to come across it.

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...
Posted
Hi Guys

This morning from around 7am we had torrential rain, we also had lots of sheet lightning every few minutes which was a brilliant blue colour. What surprised me was during this time of lightning we did not have one clap of thunder.

Wht caused this I always thought thunder followed lightning. Over to the experts here.

Brian

Lightning can be seen from over a hunderd miles away yet thunder can only be heard from 20 miles. I might be wrong with the miles and it could be Kilometers its been a while :) .

Edited by iceageian85

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

When I was 8 at primary school, we used to walk to the dinner hall from the old prefab school blocks.

There was a nasty black cloud above us and as we got to the hall, there was a movie-like perfect bolt of fork lightning that shot across the cloud.

I never heard a rumble. Was expecting a loud one as it seemed almost overhead. Was wondering why I never heard a rumble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and wind above F8 !!

Have seen a fantastic lightning storm overhead, no rain and NO thunder. Hardly any wind either so stuck around for nearly an hour.