Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heaviest snowfalls for years in Iran

Guest Shetland Coastie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Certainly an interesting bit of weather, the BBC video showed pretty deep snow. Sadly people froze to death, not surprising though with 40000 stranded motorists and -20 odd temperatures.

Just shows what mother nature can do :doh:

Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Will of Allah?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Joe Public hears so much about Global Warming. Average Joe doesn't know much Global Warming/Climate Change (they have been cheekily merged recently by the warming brigade) Joe then hears about record snowfall in Iran. Joe thinks Iran is a warm country, Joe then laughs off Global Warming. There are millions of Joe's around the world. Face it, Global Warming is losing face because of average Joe - and good job too :o

Joe may think Iran is somewhere like India that has blistering heat all year round, but what Joe may not know is that alot of Iran is elevated and mountainous and has very much a dry continental climate which is cold in winter away from the Persian Gulf in the south and hot in the summer, occasional heavy snows fall in the mountains of the north - particuarly near the Caspian Sea where winds can blow down from Siberia picking up moisture.

Record snow doesn't mean global warming isn't occuring - infact with the warmer the air the more moisture the air can retain - so when it does get cold enough to snow - as it always will in a continental landmass - then there is an increasing likelyhood that a record snowfall will occur. Remember record snow doesn't equate to unusual cold.

Posted
Joe may think Iran is somewhere like India that has blistering heat all year round, but what Joe may not know is that alot of Iran is elevated and mountainous and has very much a dry continental climate which is cold in winter away from the Persian Gulf in the south and hot in the summer, occasional heavy snows fall in the mountains of the north - particuarly near the Caspian Sea where winds can blow down from Siberia picking up moisture.

Record snow doesn't mean global warming isn't occuring - infact with the warmer the air the more moisture the air can retain - so when it does get cold enough to snow - as it always will in a continental landmass - then there is an increasing likelyhood that a record snowfall will occur. Remember record snow doesn't equate to unusual cold.

Try telling that global warming is taking place to the people of south america, record low temps in brazil chile 1000s died in peru .

Posted
Try telling that global warming is taking place to the people of south america, record low temps in brazil chile 1000s died in peru .

Keith, i'm not being funny, but the key word is in 'Global' warming.

Edited by ChrisL

Posted
Keith, i'm not being funny, but the key word is in 'Global' warming.
OH i forget newzealand record lows [what have you got oh yes the ippc report or the met office report, all sponsered by the goverment].I must in no longer called global warming the trendy call it climate change.

Posted

I have to question how unusual is it though, i remember hearing in the news last winter or the one before of people dying in Nern India from cold - maybe some media hyped misinformation re unusual coldwise though very tragic that lives are needlessly lost like this. 34 deg or 0C over Northern India doesn't sound much - but bearing in mind the poor who live in uninsulated shelters with no heating little clothes and aren't perhaps 'healthy' by western standards are going to be susceptible to temps that we seemingly take for granted each winter.

Still not convinced that it is another nail in the coffin for GW yet ...

Posted
OH i forget newzealand record lows [what have you got oh yes the ippc report or the met office report, all sponsered by the goverment].I must in no longer called global warming the trendy call it climate change.

Keith. I think you're getting mixed up here. Climate Change is the result of Global Warming, not the trendy name for it (completely different subjects).

Climate change can bring about extreme weathers, such as the event in Iran.

Are you seeing the link yet?

Edited by ChrisL

Top line:Again folk seem to mistake Joe.P. for being moronic........Iran-India no climatical connection I just used an example of a place on Earth that's unlikely to see snow.I thought most of us on here were JP..... I worry about those who think they're not.

Posted
Top line:Again folk seem to mistake Joe.P. for being moronic........Iran-India no climatical connection I just used an example of a place on Earth that's unlikely to see snow.I thought most of us on here were JP..... I worry about those who think they're not.

I was being tongue-in-cheek ... though I have worked with many people over the years from various backgrounds and often meet the general public as part of my job and I can say many may not have a clue about where Iran or many other countries are situated geographically or what kind of different climates they may have other than say the arid pictures they see on the telly of Iran. Alot of joe public are pretty niave when it come to climatic regimes of the world, believe me! It isn't taught at schools.

I was being tongue-in-cheek ... though I have worked with many people over the years from various backgrounds and often meet the general public as part of my job and I can say most wouldn't have a clue about where Iran or many other countires are situated geographically or what kind of different climates they may have other than say the arid pictures they see on the telly of Iran. Alot of joe public are pretty niave when it come to climatic regimes of the world, believe me!

Point well made Nick. :cc_confused: I quoted you as the last 'JP' reference although the point wasn't made at you but an earlier post.The point I think I failed to make well was on NW the JP element(by definition) may have an awareness of the climate and should be allowed to have a......as you say tongue in cheek take on it too without attempts to patronise them.Thanks Nick.

Posted

I honestly dont know how much of a stretch of truth that story is. They have obviously added 'in living memory' to try and make the story perhaps bigger than it is.

But then again, it could be big news. I honestly dont have much knowledge of Iraqi weather (although i'm sure, like Iran, there are some quite hilly locatations that do see snow quite often).

Posted
"This snow will bring pleasure to the people of Iraq. It's beautiful!"

A few of us in South East England would be pleased to see a flake or two....... :lol:

Posted

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Tehran is high up and commonly gets cold. However, the forecast for the next few days is something else.

The average min/max in January for Tehran is roughly 7C/-3C:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_gu...tml?tt=TT002390

Theres some extremely potent cold weather progged:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0258

Maxs of -12C and mins of -22C are remarkable (especially as the BBC have the record min as -21C!). GFS shows the -5C isotherm covering most of the country, with a few pockets as low as -12C.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Retavn002.gif

Posted

Well I've had reports from some cousins living in Yazd, Central Iran of very bitter night time temperatures and of course snow falling in the Dasht-e-Lut desert is very rare indeed.

I agree that the climate of Iran is a continental one; albeit the continentality is controlled by the various mountain ranges...the Alborz and Zagorz mountains; the lower altitude deserts, the Caspian region, and on varying plateux heights and the hot humid gulf regions of the south and south-west. It is not unusual for Tehran to get lots of snow in winter...its happened many times before. It is unusual however, to get snow much further south in the salt deserts...the CAA is somewhat regulated by geomorphological distribution and altitude; where marked temp differences and degrees of seasonality can be dictated alone by altitude. The strength of the sun plays a more important factor than russian and European climates to the north.