Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heaviest snowfalls for years in Iran

Guest Shetland Coastie

Posted

I popped this in the Whining thread yesterday:

:rolleyes: And just when you thought it couldn't be any worse this Winter CLICKY

It appears that it also hit Iranian regions that have never experienced snow at all!

Posted
Was this event forecast?The severity anyway

This event proves there no proof of global warming ,in fact the opposite could be happening,south america had a very hard winter thousands freeze to death in puru ,massive economical damage done in chile due to hard prolonged frosts, first snow in bunes aires in 97 years.the list goes on and on.

This event proves there no proof of global warming ,in fact the opposite could be happening,south america had a very hard winter thousands freeze to death in puru ,massive economical damage done in chile due to hard prolonged frosts, first snow in bunes aires in 97 years.the list goes on and on.

D'yer know I thought that but thought I'd get eaten alive!Day after tommorow stuff :rolleyes:

Posted
Popping this into the Extreme Weather Worldwide area :rolleyes:

At least Wibs has warmed up, she used to be a cold mid blue, she's now a sunny bright orange........

Posted

How ironic that the deserts of southern Iran have had more snow than many parts of the UK this winter. Just goes to show how rubbish this country is for snowfall these days. :rolleyes:

Posted

I'm not going to say anything either for or against global warming, but I will say that this event proves nothing of the sort.

If you nudge a tub of water of a particular depth with enough force that some spills out over the edge (relate the depth of the water to temperature - thus creating an overall cooling effect), as the water moves from one side of the tub to the other, you get a very shallow spot ( much colder) - but along with it, you get a very deep spot on the other side (much warmer), untill the water finally settles again at a slightly shallower depth (a bit colder).

The weather over the globe is a little bit like that - creating a change in one area may create an opposite change somewhere else (being the complex, fluidic system it is), untill some form of equilibrium is reached. When people look at temperature vs decade graphs loking for trends, they are looking for signs of that equilibrium - where the temp would settle if given the chance.

Edited by crimsone

Posted

It's not surprising Tehran has snow - it's often cold in winter, and is nearly 4000ft above sea level. Add that to the mountainous terrain to the north and the continental climate, and you have all the ingredients.

Posted
I'm not going to say anything either for or against global warming, but I will say that this event proves nothing of the sort.

If you nudge a tub of water of a particular depth with enough force that some spills out over the edge (relate the depth of the water to temperature - thus creating an overall cooling effect), as the water moves from one side of the tub to the other, you get a very shallow spot ( much colder) - but along with it, you get a very deep spot on the other side (much warmer), untill the water finally settles again at a slightly shallower depth (a bit colder).

The weather over the globe is a little bit like that - creating a change in one area may create an opposite change somewhere else (being the complex, fluidic system it is), untill some form of equilibrium is reached. When people lok at temperature vs decade graphs loking for trends, they are looking for signs of that equilibrium - where the temp would settle if given the chance.

Fair point but there is also no proof of a rise or fall of world temps[bar that one from the met office concerning tiny country called the uk].

Posted
How ironic that the deserts of southern Iran have had more snow than many parts of the UK this winter. Just goes to show how rubbish this country is for snowfall these days. :doh:

How high up is Tairan (or however you spell it)? Either way, the heaviest snowfall for 40 years...thats impressive.

Fair point but there is also no proof of a rise or fall of world temps[bar that one from the met office concerning tiny country called the uk].

Ahem. Theres quite a lot actually ;) The arguement you have here, is the same as someone turning around and saying that because the UK has had a month +ve 3oC above average, global temperatures must also be at such levels.

As with our average CET for the UK (or England even :doh: ), it is created by peaks and troughs along the way.

Posted
How ironic that the deserts of southern Iran have had more snow than many parts of the UK this winter. Just goes to show how rubbish this country is for snowfall these days. :doh:

Just the way it is! :doh:

How high up is Tairan (or however you spell it)? Either way, the heaviest snowfall for 40 years...thats impressive.

Ahem. Theres quite a lot actually :doh: The arguement you have here, is the same as someone turning around and saying that because the UK has had a month +ve 3oC above average, global temperatures must also be at such levels.

As with our average CET for the UK (or England even :doh: ), it is created by peaks and troughs along the way.

There is no certainty for or against GW (hence debate)however I don't believe events such as this in Iran could be described as a warming signal............or could it?

Edited by hannegan

Posted
There is no certainty for or against GW (hence debate)however I don't believe events such as this in Iran could be described as a warming signal............or could it?

I always thought the debate was whether GW was man-made or natural :doh: I honestly thought there was plenty of publications from the likes of NASA regarding the actual temperature across the globe.

I always thought the debate was whether GW was man-made or natural :doh: I honestly thought there was plenty of publications from the likes of NASA regarding the actual temperature across the globe.

Agreed,but I've heard an awfull lot against GW too.................I'm an undecided.

Edited by hannegan

Posted

Two posts up :doh: To be more precise, 3900ft, with high mountains to the north.

People do not understand that more snow does not mean more cold. Snow is precipitation. More snow simply means more precipitation. Much of Iran is plenty cold enough even with warming for snow to fall. Record snowfalls can in fact be seen as a symptom of a warming world as more heat means more precipitation and more snow. The temp could surge, but if its new level is still just cold enough for snow, though less cold than it once was, the more heat present will give more extreme snow events. A warmer world also means more extreme and volatile precipitation patterns.

People do not understand that more snow does not mean more cold. Snow is precipitation. More snow simply means more precipitation. Much of Iran is plenty cold enough even with warming for snow to fall. Record snowfalls can in fact be seen as a symptom of a warming world as more heat means more precipitation and more snow. The temp could surge, but if its new level is still just cold enough for snow, though less cold than it once was, the more heat present will give more extreme snow events. A warmer world also means more extreme and volatile precipitation patterns.

Yes but if they have to start gritting the streets of ..Say New Dehli...By your arguement that would be seen as a result of warming???

The only argument against global warming is if the avearge temperature of the world starts to fall over many years. One snow event in one place is hardly evidence for or against anything is it?

Or indeed are relatively short term rises in temp(debateable) or a run of warm summers.Point taken though MP

Edited by hannegan

Posted

Joe Public hears so much about Global Warming. Average Joe doesn't know much Global Warming/Climate Change (they have been cheekily merged recently by the warming brigade) Joe then hears about record snowfall in Iran. Joe thinks Iran is a warm country, Joe then laughs off Global Warming. There are millions of Joe's around the world. Face it, Global Warming is losing face because of average Joe - and good job too :doh:

Well Joe is wrong if they think snow in Iran means the world hasn't warmed over the past 200 years or so. Climate change and global warming are exactly hte same thing - they both mean that world is warming. Climate change is prefered by some though because the term "global warming" some may feel indicates the whole world will warm evenly, which it won't. They both mean the world will warm on average though.

Edited by Magpie

Joe Public hears so much about Global Warming. Average Joe doesn't know much Global Warming/Climate Change (they have been cheekily merged recently by the warming brigade) Joe then hears about record snowfall in Iran. Joe thinks Iran is a warm country, Joe then laughs off Global Warming. There are millions of Joe's around the world. Face it, Global Warming is losing face because of average Joe - and good job too :doh:

Presumptuous to think that way as many people may be a bit more read than they let on,however not so longwinded as some.If it opens the door to a fair debate though it will indeed be a positive thing.Joe P :doh: