Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have we actually Forgotten what cold is

The PIT

Posted

Yes I agree and this is mentioned in the book. However, nor do we have sustained cold, regardless of the river flow. Having weeks where the temp does not get above freezing day or night simply doesn't happen. I just that whatever is said, it's just not as cold at all anymore, people get excited if it dips below freezing for more than two nights in a row these days, it's a different scale entirely.

Posted

Instead of thinking about the Thames, which has changed over the years, why not consider the freezing over of a body of water (Windermere as an example) which hasn't been subject to as much change.

"The Lake has frozen over several times during severe winters and Frost Fairs were held. Special trains brought visitors from Manchester and in 1895, 100,000 people came to skate on the ice. Bands played, bonfires were lit, there were ice yacht races and they even skated at night with lanterns. The last time the Lake froze was in 1964."

From: http://www.linthwaite.com/the-lake-distric...-windermere.htm

"Legends interwoven with history abound along the dreamy shores of Bowness. In 1864, Windermere froze and it was possible to walk or skate across the lake from shore to shore. This remarkable event happened again in the severe winters of 1894 and 1929, when thousands came to experience the thrill of walking and skating on the frozen lake. The lake froze over again in 1963 and 1982."

From: http://www.timetravel-britain.com/06/Oct/lake.shtml

Edited by LadyPakal

I was chatting to my mother the other day and remembered when she owned a flat in South Shields,I remember icicles as thick as your arm hanging from two storeys up to the ground.My memory of it was that is was 1979 but can't remember for certain,it would've been a rare event for that location though with the areas proximity to the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The most likely times are 1 January 1979, 14 February 1979, and generally around mid-March 1979- all three instances had a pronounced ENE airflow, temperatures around or below freezing, and heavy prolonged snowfalls. In the February instance the midday temperature at Tynemouth was -3C, and Tynemouth normally gets rather less snow than South Shields, while in the March instance, 46cm accumulated at Newcastle.

According to my parents, South Shields was also heavily hit during an easterly spell the previous year, around 10 February 1978, and Trevor Harley's site suggests that Newcastle was cut off.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
The most likely times are 1 January 1979, 14 February 1979, and generally around mid-March 1979- all three instances had a pronounced ENE airflow, temperatures around or below freezing, and heavy prolonged snowfalls. In the February instance the midday temperature at Tynemouth was -3C, and Tynemouth normally gets rather less snow than South Shields, while in the March instance, 46cm accumulated at Newcastle.

According to my parents, South Shields was also heavily hit during an easterly spell the previous year, around 10 February 1978, and Trevor Harley's site suggests that Newcastle was cut off.

I remember those News year day and very cold indeed. I remember News Eve looking out of the Window to the east and the Sky was Orange next minute Blizzard like conditions then it cleared up. My father went out to do the Thermometers at Nine O'clock and caught in one of these showers. He came back in very cold and rather white. Jan 1st very heavy frequent Snow Showers. Sometimes the sun came out and the skies looked clear then you saw a cloud on the horizon minutes later very heavy Snow again. Never seen anything like that since really. March extremely cold again and I remember walking home as School closed early the Sun was out but the wind was blowing the Snow up from the ground all the time.

Funny thing is someone posted on the Model thread that last week was cold.

It had to be 1979 then.......thankyou very much for that T W S great weather but never hear much about the 70's weather as it seems to be often overshadowed by the 80's