Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

La Crosse ES-WS2300

Posted

Considering purchasing one of these but can anyone tell me how the rain bucket is secured as to not blow over? Could anyone show me pictures of their set ups?

Posted
Considering purchasing one of these but can anyone tell me how the rain bucket is secured as to not blow over? Could anyone show me pictures of their set ups?

The rain gauge has a selection of holes in the bottom for securing to a bracket etc. I have my one fitted to a shelf bracket and a piece of wood then screwed to a fence post. Sorry don't have any pics of the setup.

Edited by Greyowl

Posted

Ok cheers, next question, is there any nice software that will create and informative webpage from the data the weather station supplies?

Posted
Ok cheers, next question, is there any nice software that will create and informative webpage from the data the weather station supplies?

Hi there. Firstly yes as above, there should be a few holes around the outer casing (you will have to take the bucket off by twisting it) simply put a few screws in to hold it down. Make sure it is level through both Axis's though.

In terms of software, i would say 'weather display' is your only real option for the web aspect. It can be a right pain to set up at first but there is a whole forum (weather-watch.com) and if you have probs etc peeps will help you out, a wealth of knowledge on there.

I use this for my site and after 3 years of using it im still finding new features and learning new things, but with a little website coding you can generate ajax sites (i.e realtime), graphs etc. You can get it at first to upload a basic built in template to get you started.

Athough it has a great realtime and site upload function it does anything else to, giving you monthly breakdowns, graphs, pretty much anything you can think. Although as i said, it isnt that user friendly at first but just a little perseverance and you'll soon have a site online.

Posted

Is the only way to get data into the computer via USB/Serial from the control panel? Is there no additional receiver that can be purchased?

Posted
Is the only way to get data into the computer via USB/Serial from the control panel? Is there no additional receiver that can be purchased?

The only way to get data from the console to the PC is via either a usb cable or standard rj-11 cable with a serial connector. I think you can get a datalogger for the console it holds more data from the console so you only need turn your pc on every couple of days to download data.

Posted

Darn, I wouldn't have minded setting up a little webpage with live weather data on it, but the console can't really be located near a PC.

Posted
Darn, I wouldn't have minded setting up a little webpage with live weather data on it, but the console can't really be located near a PC.

What type of cable is used on your sonsole to connect to PC? Im guessing it has a serial end?

Posted

Not got it yet, but isn't it RJ11 one end and there's a USB converter supplied or similar with it?

Posted

If you use a serial port then you can run pretty much any length of cable you need. USB is somewhat limited..

You can also purchase a wireless com port but they cost money.. Data loggers are handy but the unit has a built in one if you need to store the data for a week or so..

Posted

It's impractical to run a cable from the kitchen to the pc in the bathroom (yes the bathroom).

Posted
Not got it yet, but isn't it RJ11 one end and there's a USB converter supplied or similar with it?

If it uses usb then you can get a device which acts as a server. You basically plug your console into it, and it can use wireless to braodcast the signal to your main pc - Although these are around £70-150.

Edited by Cloudburst

I secured mine to a couple of shelf brackets using cable ties - it's not really designed for this though so I had to be careful that the ties didn't foul the bucket mechanism inside.

post-7905-1199622824_thumb.jpg

Posted

It seems the La Crosse WS2350 USB is the same price, does it have any additional features/improvements? It's the same price as the WS2300.

Posted

Not sure why I can't edit my previous post but I just wanted to add, any other suggestions for around £100?

Posted
Not sure why I can't edit my previous post but I just wanted to add, any other suggestions for around £100?

This one is on Amazon. Don't know anything about it though. http://www.amazon.co.uk/W-8681-Wireless-We...7144&sr=8-3

Weather shop. http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/in..._ES_WS1600.html

Posted

Although I am having a few problems with my WS2300 at the moment, overall this is a great bit of kit for the money. Of course the Davis Pro route is probably better but the budget has to come into it.

I have never set mine up for uploading to the net, everything is in the box to do it but I don't have a serial port on my PC and haven't got around to investigating a suitable adaptor to get the unit to plug into a USB socket (suggestions welcome please).

I'm still a bit confused over your statement that your PC is in the bathroom!!!!, I hope its either waterproof, well earthed or runs off a BayGen type wind up dynamo!!!!

Posted
I'm still a bit confused over your statement that your PC is in the bathroom!!!!, I hope its either waterproof, well earthed or runs off a BayGen type wind up dynamo!!!!

It serves as a Media Center and I can't make it silent, so I've shut it in a cupboard instead :D

I've had a look at the WS1600 on the link you provided, it's tricky to compare the featureset's between models, there should be a simple table to see what you're getting.

Is it not logical to assume the WS2300 is better than the WS1600 simply because the model number is higher? Does the WS2350 comes with the updated annometer as standard? Images I've seen show it with cups.

Thanks for your help so far.

Edited by Spies

Posted
Although I am having a few problems with my WS2300 at the moment, overall this is a great bit of kit for the money. Of course the Davis Pro route is probably better but the budget has to come into it.

I have never set mine up for uploading to the net, everything is in the box to do it but I don't have a serial port on my PC and haven't got around to investigating a suitable adaptor to get the unit to plug into a USB socket (suggestions welcome please).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...tor&doy=7m1

I got one of these.

Posted

Just discovered that the WS2350 is infact the same as the WS2300 but just with upgraded anemometer, looks like that'll be the one.

Posted
It serves as a Media Center and I can't make it silent, so I've shut it in a cupboard instead :D

Owww water and electricity, I like that!!! :D

Is it not logical to assume the WS2300 is better than the WS1600 simply because the model number is higher? Does the WS2350 comes with the updated anemometer as standard? Images I've seen show it with cups.

Thanks for your help so far.

I have just spoken to the Weather shop about my anemometer problem and the very knowledgeable young lady has determined that it is indeed the anemometer at fault, not the sender or display unit so I have ordered a new one (comes with cups now) I would normally be a little upset as the system is only 18 months old but in all other respects it has performed perfectly + her lovely Scottish accent won me over!!!! I would give them a call and discuss it, they seem very helpful over the phone and in the shop. Worth noting; my new anemometer isn't in until the end of January as they have a very high demand for equipment at the moment!

I got one of these.

Thanks again for your help Glen, I traipsed around Maplin's in Eastbourne for hours looking for that - shows that I should have asked an assistant! (or a fellow NW member!!!)

Posted
Owww water and electricity, I like that!!! :D

It was nearly game over the other day when the boiler started to leak :D

Posted

Sorry for keep bumping my own thread.

The transmission time on the WS1600 is 4.5s which is way way better than the other models, but doesn't include PC connectivity, is there anything out there for the £100 budget that has a fast transmission time and PC connectivity? The WS2300 with it's 32s transmission time sounds really poor now compared to the WS1600.

Posted
How does the WS2300/2350 handle gusts during the 30s reporting period?

On wireless it will probably miss them unless it happens in the few seconds as it transmits. I take what you say about speeds, I'm personally not looking for such speed and accuracy so its doesn't worry me, a good indication of the weather at my location is fine. Of course with it hard wired this isn't a problem, but you have other constraints like me.

You may be better saving for the more expensive units or a Davis - its the old horses for courses thing!