Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Africa/Southern Ocean weather/synoptics required

Posted

Help needed.

Let me explain. I'm webmaster of 3Y0E.com, a website about a Norwegian led research team currently on Bouvet Island (with a radio ham :cold: ).

I only have a direct link to the latest weather on Bouvet, but i'm looking for something more interesting, factual.

I've googled various ideas relating to South African weather, but i need more.

The team are looking for current or recent sat images, synoptic charts of the area in question - generally south of South Africa, north of Antarctica, and in the Southern Ocean, obviously to include Bouvet.

I'd appreciate a steer in the right direction..

Thanks muchly.

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

http://www.weathersa.co.za/Menus/Marine.jsp

try that one for starters, i will have another look around, see what i can come up with!

nigel

sane site but a differant link

http://www.weathersa.co.za/Pressroom/2006/...lhasSupport.jsp

Posted

Thanks, mate. I've already checked out that site - i guess it's SA's own weather bureau.

I think they are probably the best, but was really wondering if there's a gem of a link out there which updates synoptics/sat images more than they do. Eutmetsat (section 8 and 9) cover the areas concerned, but don't appear to update as quickly as there northern hemisphere areas.

One other factor is that Bouvet is owned by Norway - i've checked out the national Norwegian weather service website - with no links to Bouvet weather, but again, something may crop up within a link to link etc..

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Thanks mate. Had seen this one too - i think this will have to do. They seem to do only one daily synoptic chart.

For sure, we up here seem to have more weather info as a whole..

Cheers anyway :cold:

Edited by Mondy

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Mondy, here's a good link to IR satellite for the region from the Argentine weather service:

www.smn.gov.ar/mostrar.php?var=./pronos/imagenes/antar.gif&titulo=Imagen de satélite Infrarroja Goes-12 en alta resolución

Edited by Roger J Smith