Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest place in Britain?

Marduk

Posted
We'd need to see evidence that Wanlockhead's altitude of 1531 is incorrect.

I've done some googling and haven't come up with anything.

Scotland's highest village

Wanlockhead is a small village in Dumfries and Galloway, high in the mountains of the Southern Upland in that part of Scotland mid-way between Glasgow and the English border. In fact it is Scotland's highest village at more than 1500 feet (490 metres), owing its location to the lead mining activity which has gone on from ancient times but which ended in 1936. It is now the home of the Scottish Lead Mining Museum and the famous 18th Century Miners' Library.

I found the above, but it dosent give the eact hight!

http://www.wanlockheadcottages.co.uk/

Posted

here you go .. have just found the outcome: this news article

Flash leapt up in height 40ft to 1558ft, while Wanlockhead, with a population of 156, was downgraded to a meagre 1456ft - much to the chagrin of the Scots.

measured by Ordnance Survey experts ..

Posted

Wikipedia cannot be trusted nor can that newspaper link I posted.

1983 Guinness book of records has it as Flash? that's quite out of date.

Who knows

Posted

Oh so Flash it is then. Goes to show why you cannot trust random websites on the internet or indeed, newspaper reports! lol.

Posted
Wikipedia cannot be trusted nor can that newspaper link I posted.

1983 Guinness book of records has it as Flash? that's quite out of date.

Who knows

Well first of all the height of Wanlockhead won't have grown by 100ft in 20 years and secondly I've just watched the BBC video....basically the 1531 height for Wanlockhead is a fraud....the bloke pointed to a spot height on the Ordnance Survey map NEAR to Wanlockhead, but not in the village....they've claimed the height for the roadsign from that. As I knew, it is wrong. The Guiness Books of Records, even in 1983, wouldn't get that wrong. I have not got the volume to hand but definitely from memory it was 1400+ft.

Anyway, the video clears up all doubt, the Ordnance Survey officially measured the highest house in each village with the proper equipment....Flash = 1,558ft, Wanlockhead = 1,456ft. Official. Settled.

Various sites claiming various heights should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Posted

Google Earth is even better, you get an exact height for wherever you have your cursor, rather than relying on looking at contours.

Posted

Can I also add that Flash is in Stafforshire not Derbyshire, although it is right on thr county boundary. I can also confirm that it is B****y cold up there :o

Dave

Posted

Well now the battle between Flash & Wanlockhead has been sorted......which is the highest pub? The Tan Hill Inn (N. Yorkshire) or The Cat & Fiddle (Cheshire)..... theres a big dispute about that.....oh god what have I started :o

Edited by Storm Animal

Posted
Well now the battle between Flash & Wanlockhead has been sorted......which is the highest pub? The Tan Hill Inn (N. Yorkshire) or The Cat & Fiddle (Cheshire)..... theres a big dispute about that.....oh god what have I started :doh:

Pretty sure it's the Cat & Fiddle (incidentally not far from Flash, nicely tying the thread together)

Dave

Posted
Pretty sure it's the Cat & Fiddle (incidentally not far from Flash, nicely tying the thread together)

Dave

Blimey, the Alps better watch it, the Peak District is on a roll!!!! LOL :doh:

Posted

Dave

No, its Tan Hill at 1,732ft.

Always has been, always will be. There is little dispute over that one.

Posted

were my grandparents live is just under 700ft, its a very exposed place, the highest village up in this area. i think it was in 2005 they had 4ft of snow in the one snowfall!

Posted
No, its Tan Hill at 1,732ft.

Always has been, always will be. There is little dispute over that one.

Well I don't know, im pretty open minded, have you read this recent article? http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac54/moretops.htm

Posted
Well I don't know, im pretty open minded, have you read this recent article? http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac54/moretops.htm

The highest licensed premisses with a full public house licence is the Ptarmigan on CairnGorm Mountain at 3600ft (1097m).

Posted
The highest licensed premisses with a full public house licence is the Ptarmigan on CairnGorm Mountain at 3600ft (1097m).

lol. Beat that :mellow:

Posted
Yes Google earth is handy good point, but I wasn't totally sure to the accuracy and resolution of it's source data and the OS maps show give fairly definitive information, cheers

I'd be astonished if Google weren't simply using a licensed copy of the OS digimaps. I can't believe they'll have funded a wholesale levelling of the UK. The only slgiht issue (and it's only a matter of metres) is the alignment between the ariel photos and the digitised map.

Posted
  • Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria. Latitude: 54.5469; Longitude: -3.5868
  • Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria. Latitude: 54.5469; Longitude: -3.5868

Try sitting in the same room as my misses. You be warmer sitting in the fridge?

Posted

I was actually referring to a "proper pub", and not a bar in a ski centre! hehe, but I know what you were meaning ya cheat!! :D