Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest place in Britain?

Marduk

Posted

According to the Met Office the lowest station average temp is -3.7C for January, although I don't know where it is, most likely in the Central Highlands at high altitude. Someone with better access to figures will be able to give you a list of stations with <0 average months.

Posted
According to the Met Office the lowest station average temp is -3.7C for January, although I don't know where it is, most likely in the Central Highlands at high altitude. Someone with better access to figures will be able to give you a list of stations with <0 average months.

Just off the top of my head, Braemar probably. Althought that doesn't mean it's the coldest place. It probably records the coldest temperatures of all weather stations in the UK. Loch Glascarnoch and Altnaharra are two others that spring to mind also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

seems like its buxton in derbyshire, even in the dreadful even larger teapot era they are guaranteed significant snow off a cold spell, they had loads on 18th nov 07

Posted

The coldest inhabited place is a tie between Dalwhinnie and Braemar. Both are higher up than Buxton and much, much further north.

Posted

Braemar, Dalwhinnie as far as weather stations are concerned. Even smaller villages (no weather station) are the likes of Tomintoul and Corgarff. Corgarff is the highest at 405m. The others are generally around the 340m mark

Posted
seems like its buxton in derbyshire, even in the dreadful even larger teapot era they are guaranteed significant snow off a cold spell, they had loads on 18th nov 07

Buxton probably gets more than its fair share of snow than anywhere else in England but certainly is not the coldest, it just attracts the white stuff and always has done! It is however, an overcoat colder than many surrounding towns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

In the last cold snap I think it was Altnaharra :)

Posted
Flash in Derbyshire(?) must get pretty cold, highest village in Britain.

Wanlockhead in the Southern Uplands in Scotland is slightly higher than Flash.

Posted
Flash in Derbyshire(?) must get pretty cold, highest village in Britain.

Not in Britain...were you meaning England?

If you were then you'd be incorrect because Alston is the highest settlement in England.

Posted
Ah AA Road map book is wrong then.

Flash is at 800 feet...Alston is over 1,000 feet in height. Been there meself...very nice scenery surrounding it too. Decent market-town.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

I stand corrected..don't know why somebody told me it was 800 feet where the actual settlement was.

I think Alston's claim to fame is being the highest market-town in England, not the highest settlement.

:)

Posted

What i don't get is i can set off from work at my house near the bottom of a shaded valley and it could be say -3...i climb up towards Scapegoat(where PennineTenFootDrifts lives) and it's often near freezing but the other way around when there is cloud cover.

Posted
What i don't get is i can set off from work at my house near the bottom of a shaded valley and it could be say -3...i climb up towards Scapegoat(where PennineTenFootDrifts lives) and it's often near freezing but the other way around when there is cloud cover.

That'll be a temp inversion...valleys can be frost hollows during anticyclonic periods when a lot of heat is lost during the night when there is no cloud cover; but if there is a warmer layer above at around 850hpa then this traps colder air at low levels and results in fogs during the day at low levels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

According to metoffice newport in shropshire holds the record at -26.1 on the night of the 10th of jan 1982 although i always thought this was tied with Braemar

any how here is the chart for that night

post-4955-1199132589_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
I stand corrected..don't know why somebody told me it was 800 feet where the actual settlement was.

I think Alston's claim to fame is being the highest market-town in England, not the highest settlement.

:)

The last time i was in Alston there was a group of lads in the bogs smoking huge joints so it could infact be neck & neck with flash! :smiliz39:

Posted
Flash is at 800 feet...Alston is over 1,000 feet in height. Been there meself...very nice scenery surrounding it too. Decent market-town.

I seem to be contradicting you rather a lot today pp, but in actual fact flash sits at 1500 feet asl....I went on bike ride there as a teenager. There are some very large high level lodges in the highlands, there's one near dalwhinnie at about 500M asl, so that might be the coldest inhabited place in the uk.