Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wireless Anemometers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Does anyone know of somewhere where I can get a wireless anemometer (not handheld) as a standalone, not with a weatherstation? My current weatherstation doesn't record windspeed/direction but I don't want to fork out for a new weatherstation. I can find some with wires but they aren't long enough so i wondered if anyone knew of a place to get wireless anemometers.

Posted
Found this on amazon, but its from the U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-WG...r/dp/B00006J044

I was looking at that one until I read that you had to have the weather station with it for it to function properly, which isn't made very clear in the product details. Thanks anyway.

I may just have to settle for a handheld one.

Posted
I was looking at that one until I read that you had to have the weather station with it for it to function properly, which isn't made very clear in the product details. Thanks anyway.

I may just have to settle for a handheld one.

http://www.inspeed.com/wind_speed_directio...ss%20Chrome.asp

Found this one, its about £400 but its good.

Posted
http://www.inspeed.com/wind_speed_directio...ss%20Chrome.asp

Found this one, its about £400 but its good.

It's really good I can see that. But way over my price tag :doh:

If it were about £300 cheaper then it would have been ideal. Ho hum.

Posted
Does anyone know of somewhere where I can get a wireless anemometer (not handheld) as a standalone, not with a weatherstation? My current weatherstation doesn't record windspeed/direction but I don't want to fork out for a new weatherstation. I can find some with wires but they aren't long enough so i wondered if anyone knew of a place to get wireless anemometers.

Tried Maplin?

Posted
Tried Maplin?

Thanks Mondy- there's a weather station on there which is a reletively simple one which measures rainfall and wind speed and it's on offer too so it's ideal. There's also a Maplin store in a town near me so I can probably pop in a get one, failing that order it online. Perfect for me who just wants a general idea of wind speed. Thanks again mate :lol:

Posted
Thanks Mondy- there's a weather station on there which is a reletively simple one which measures rainfall and wind speed and it's on offer too so it's ideal. There's also a Maplin store in a town near me so I can probably pop in a get one, failing that order it online. Perfect for me who just wants a general idea of wind speed. Thanks again mate :lol:

If you get that one from mapling, let me know what its like, i was thinking of getting it too, but i could find what the windspeed went up too.

Posted

If you are on about the £40 (|Down £10) weather station from maplins with wind gauge and rain gauge, I actually bought one friday.

Works well enough, still getting used to it, so far today the wind gauge has shown the top gust as 19mph here in Worcestershire, I am sure it should be more than that, but my garden is going to be sheltered from any angle, and the sensor is in a temporary mounting.

Loads of features. Each maximum and minmum data is time stamped which is useful.

good budget buy if you do want to shell out for a more expensive system.

Any questions just ask. happy to help.

Posted

Cheers for that, yes, that's the one I'm on about- I'm glad that you think it's good. Great value for money it seems aswell. I already have a weather station but it doesn't do rainfall or wind so this one should work very well along side it; beef up my weather reports that's for sure. Is it quite difficult to set up?

Posted

Its was the price that caught my eye, good value. I`d say it could go up to 100MPH at most.

There was one i saw somewhere made from a bike speedometer!

Posted
Its was the price that caught my eye, good value. I`d say it could go up to 100MPH at most.

There was one i saw somewhere made from a bike speedometer!

100mph should be alright for my garden :lol:

Yeah, I saw one like that, the only problem was the wire- it was only 30m long and would have to go through the window. Would have been ideal otherwise though. But this Maplin one looks even better and has a rain gauge too which is a bonus.

Posted

It is not that difficult to set-up it is slightly clunky to use set up allows different units for pressure and temperature etc wind speed has wind speed can set as m/s Km/h knots mph and Bft it also has wind chill and dew point. just takes time.

The out door sensor is wireless and has a range of 150m! The manual says to fit batteries to the sensor then the base station then they connect up automatically, I had no problems with this bit.

The base station takes 3 aa batteries and the outdoor sensor takes 2 aa batteries

One annoying thing is once batteries removed it all resets but it only £40

A good package really as other weather station on the high street cost £40 and do not have the wind gauge or rain gauge. :D

Specification says that the maximum wind speed it can record is 180km/h

Posted
It is not that difficult to set-up it is slightly clunky to use set up allows different units for pressure and temperature etc wind speed has wind speed can set as m/s Km/h knots mph and Bft it also has wind chill and dew point. just takes time.

The out door sensor is wireless and has a range of 150m! The manual says to fit batteries to the sensor then the base station then they connect up automatically, I had no problems with this bit.

The base station takes 3 aa batteries and the outdoor sensor takes 2 aa batteries

One annoying thing is once batteries removed it all resets but it only £40

A good package really as other weather station on the high street cost £40 and do not have the wind gauge or rain gauge. :D

Specification says that the maximum wind speed it can record is 180km/h

Only 5 batteries in total? That's better than my current weatherstation which takes 4 in the base station and three in the sensor outside. If I take my batteries out of my current weatherstation it loses the memory too but I would only take the batteries out when they have been exhausted obviously so that won't be a problem. Doesn't sound too difficult to set up then, I just need to decide were to put it. The range is very good so I may put it at the top of the garden on a pole on the garage roof, should get a pretty accurate windspeed from up there.

As you said a really good package for £40 especially with a rain and wind gauge, my current weatherstation cost £150 a couple years ago and has neither, but it has a colour display which probably bumped the price up :D . Looks nice though and is very accurate, just misssing some features I want really, which is why this Maplin weatherstation is a great buy. I'm going into the store itself tommorrow to buy it. Should come in handy with next week's windy weather :D

EDIT: for hopeless spelling :D

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted

i can put mine up on the roof as i`m at a gable end and there is nothing after that, just hills and fields.

Posted

It will be interesting to see how accurate the out door sensors are especially the wind and rain gauge, of course the out door thermometer is the most important for me. If any one can can compare this budget system to more expensive ones would be good.

Oh and one other point to mention, the wind and rain gauge have quite long cables between the main out door sensor so there is some adaptability to where you put each, maybe useful.

Batteries on the main station last a year and the batteries in the out door sensor last two years, cheap to run!

Posted

No probs SS..

Was in my local Maplin earlier today, saw the weather station and thought it a snip for 40 quid. Anemometer is what i need too. Got a nice 30ft radio aerial in the garden, clear of all obstacles, so am thinking it would be ideal to buy this particular weather station and plant the anemometer atop the antenna :D

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Well I now have the maplin one and it works very well, I have the wind and rain guage on a tall pole attached to the garage roof and it's recording the light breeze very nicely. A great peice of kit for it's price, ideal for me. Thanks again for everyone's help. :(