Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wild Weather

Posted

Yep Sunday is definately shaping up for a big late autumn blast! I think the word stormy could be used to describe the developing situation, I think inland we'll see gusts regularly of 50-60mph, and along the south coast and out in the channel I think we could see gusts exceeding 80mph! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hi KS, they are closed to posting automatically now - because it gives a false impression that a new alert has been released everytime someone posts in reply.

Posted

Ahh I see, fair enougth! Here's an interesting map of Sundays winds, looks like the southern quarter of the country is gonna get some sort of a battering. Remember these are the steady wind speeds, not the gusts!

places.png

Apologies if the image didnt appear, I think it maybe because of copyright restrictions! :rolleyes:

There we go chaps sorted it, just realised I didnt save the image duh! As you can see, abit of a blow to put it mildly!

post-7606-1196419549_thumb.png

Apologies again, for some reason when I uploaded the file it reduced it's size! Does anyone know how I can return the image to it's original size? :doh:

Edited by knightstorm

Posted

pictures size automaticcaly KS, and the second one posted is not working either. reckon you should give up mate. :rolleyes:

we all have access to netweather charts for free anyway mate, so dont worry if you cant get pics posted :doh:

see here > http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...type=home;sess=

Edited by Mick

Posted
Thanx for that! So how bad do you people think this weather system could get on Sunday? :rolleyes:

Not as bad a a Piers Corbyn forecast, but a little bit more breezy and damp than usual. General consensus seems to be we could end up with a few thunderstorms on the south coast.

Posted

1.45pm Fri 30th Nov 07

There is a Slight Risk of General Thunderstorms 15Z-00Z Fri 30th Nov 07 West Ireland, West Scotland, Wales, Northern & Central regions of UK

There is a Slight Risk of an Embedded Strong Cunimb Cluster Developing within the Tail of 'Comma Cloud'. There is a further Slight Risk of Strong Isolated Tornado Development within such development North Central UK regions 18Z-00Z

Discussion

Current forecast synopsis suggests the development of a small meso scale depression (comma) just behind the occluded front later tonight. This aligns nicely with a deep upper trough axis. Comma clouds are typically capable of creating an enhanced environment within the southern spiraling tail. It is this location which will require careful attention during this evening. The rapid progress of the upper cooling process will be essential to tonight's outcome!

Mid level dry air punch likely to trigger best line of embedded convective cells (red box) and hence limited coverage for the severe weather. The dry intrusion is shown to run east aiding the upper cooling process to the south of the depression. It is within this zone that the best upper shear will exist. The development of any comma cloud should create better low level directional shear than what the models are currently predicting. It is based on this feature that there will be a slight risk of developing tornadoes. Upper marginally negative directional shear is counter balanced by the overwhelming increase in speed shear. This process in theory will be more than capable of producing horizontal barreling for a time with the strong possibility that stronger developing cells could rotate.

Mean average convective gust within red box based on 800-600mb suggest well over 50kts possible. Given this fact alone we atleast have the potential for thunderstorms of 'severe level'

This forecast will be subject to a further update by early evening. The above forecast is based on the full development of a Comma Cloud; ie, no comma then risk dramatically reduced!