Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Predictions : Lowest UK temperature during this Winter

damianslaw

Posted
I reckon about -15C in the highlands of Scotland most likely.

Talking about lowest temps you remember in your local area I can't remember anything lower than -7C here in my lifetime, though I may be wrong.

Funnily enough, i do recall -14c in my area (when a nipper).* Think my mother's fingers stuck to the toaster as she served breakfast that morning - t'was v.cold. Approx 18 years ago

Edited by Mondy

Posted
SF/Nick, I suspect that it would be more accurate to say that 'in past winters it was not uncommon for at least one station in southern England, on at least one occasion, to record a minimum of -10c or below'.

regards

ACB

P.S. 1. "not uncommon": say 3-5 winters per decade?

2. All of this not checked...

Scotland (Altnaharra, Aboyne, Braemar, Aviemore, Strathallen, Tummel Bridge [not a recording station now?]: -16

England and Wales: (Sennybridge, Leeming, Cottesmore, Benson, Shawbury): -11

First 'A' road in UK to be impassable due to snow: A93 from Cockbridge to Tomintoul; end of December

regards

ACB

Hello SF and Andrew,

In 1985 alone I recorded -10C on 10 separate occasions, this is at the foot of the Chiltern Hills 150m asl, just 26 miles NW of Charing X. Rickmansworth has similar topography to my location, is just a few miles down the road and gets even colder.

Other occasions include 1979 (three times), 1981 (three times), 1982 (six times), January 1987 (maximum -8C on one day, minimum -10C) :lol:

And as for -5C, well that was just so unremarkable back then.

Another thing I'd say is that minima tend to be more reliable at amateur sites than maxima do.

Edited by Nick H

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Just thought I should put this thread up again to remind people that the last date you can get post your bets in is Monday the 10th, I'll then do a roll call of everyones predictions. However, I must admit the thread hasn't been as popular as I first at thought it may be.

Yes it is just for fun and I do realise that some members may think why did he think of it in the first place.

Posted

I recall the windows fully iced over on the inside in my bedroom in the 78/79 winter (pretty sure it was given the synoptics and memory of relative age)

This winter -24.5 over a freezing snowfield here in the heart of Norfolk ;)

Failing which, -17.1 at Altnaharra

Edited by snowmaiden

Posted

Yn fy marn i mae'r gaeaf yma am rhoi sioc iddyn ni i gyd a dwi'n tybio fydd y tymheredd isaf yn mynd lawr tua -27.7

For me it's -27.7

Edited by adamjones416

Posted

Ok then I was going to leave the roll call till tomorrow, but have decided to do it now instead as the number of posts have certainly dried up anyway here goes - all quotes word for word!

Mammatus -47 Telford

Lesta snow -30.1 Highlands

Mam 300 -28.1 Scotland/Altnaharra

Adamjones -27.7

Mufc -26.4

Snowmaiden -24.5 Norfolk

Dartmoor Matt -24.3 Scotland

Snow joke -23.7 Scottish mountains

Rustynailer -23 Scotland

Skifreak -22

Stormforce10 -21 Highlands

DR Hosking -20.1 Highlands

Acchos -20 Scotland

Rollo -19.7 Scotland

La Nina -19.4

Sundog -19.4 Highlands

Damianslaw -19

Stormmad26 -19 Scotland

Windswept -19 Scotland

Winston -18.5 Scottish Highlands

Paul Tall -18.5 Aveimore/Altnaharra

Norrance -18.1 Braemar/Dalwhinnie

Swfc -18 Scotland

Potent Gust -18

Joneseye -18 Braemar/Altnaharra

Essan -17.5 Highlands

Bristol blizzard -17.1

Suffolkboy -16.7

Snowyowl -16.7 Aviemore/Altnaharra

acbrixton -16 Scotland

Rain rain rain -15.3

Optimus prime -15.3

Somerset squall -15.3

Shugee -14.8 Scotland

Stargazer -14.8 Scottish highlands altnaharra or tummel bridge

Roger T Smith -14 Scotland

Bartlett Low -13.6 Scotland

Persian Paladin -13

Snowman2006 -12 Highlands

The Pit -12 Scotland

Stephen Prudence -11

There you go. I am not going to calculate the mean average etc, but looking at the spread of ranges the majority of those who voted seem to believe something in the order of the upper teens is quite likely. I suspect many who did post are cold lovers...

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

-22.7C, somewhere in Scotland...

Posted
-22.7C, somewhere in Scotland...

Ok I'll allow you that as we are still within the timescale of the 10th, anyone who posts after midnight I'm afraid I will not except any of your bets.

-7.8 still the figure to beat. Hopefully this thread will not be closed during this winter. I hope to add new posts to it everytime we record a new low minimum so people can see who is in the lead so to speak. I know for some it may get irritating and if the mods want to put it somewhere else they can do but I think it will add to the interest of the forum all round. Incidentally I doubt anyway that it will get anywhere near the attention the CET threads get.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I think any cold outbreak this winter will be noted for its low maxima rather than remarkable minima so I will go for a -13c in Welsh Marches. Its late but just for noting purposes

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

* bump* in case you missed this thread...

Posted

Coldest i remember is -25.C 1982/3 we were living just outside Moreton in Marsh and my mother (she's finnish) remarked it was a bit nippy!

The lowest we'll have this winter will be.... -14C

Posted
What is the season low so far? I notice the highlands are expecting -10 tomorrow.

The current minimum is -10.6C at Altnaharra on the 17th. It made -10C again last night too.

Posted
Thanks for that Reef. But was last night not the 17th were you are? :p

The MetOffice use 0900-0900 rather than midnight to midnight when recording temperature, so last nights minima will go down as the 18th. :)

Posted

Could inch out in the early hours of tomorrow the current minimum so far of -10.6 degrees recorded on the 17th. Going to be a close call. Can't help but think had the highlands had deep snow cover that we would be recording much lower minimums....

Posted

Latest update -12.5 degrees current lowest minimum recorded in Aboyne on the 20th/21st, not sure if figures got quite as low as this last night but all the same not a bad figure for this point in the season. However, I can't help but think we would have been recording quite notable low minima in the scottish highlands on recent nights had their been a snow cover.

Posted

I made a mistake in my update yesterday as the lowest minimum temperature on night of 20/21st in Aboyne was -11.5 degrees.

However, the night of 21st/22nd was 1.5 degrees colder than this in Aboyne again giving a new low of -13 degrees.