Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Predictions : Lowest UK temperature during this Winter

damianslaw

Posted

Don't think such a thread exists...

So I propose that people to bet what they think the lowest minimum temperature for the season will be this year (the new season having started back in august when we usually see the peak date for high minimums..)

I think the lowest so far this season is -7.8 degrees in Saughall in Cheshire recorded on thursday - do correct me if I'm wrong (incidentally I have just asked this question in the frost discussion thread).

Anyhow I am going for -19 degrees, I don't think we'll hit the magical -20 degrees figure.

I am not giving a place but if people like the thread and consequently feel also guessing the place would be good then this could be added to the thread.

As peak cold minimums have occured as early as mid december (anyone clarify this..), I think all bets should be made before the 10th Dec. However, people can still bet -7.8 degrees if they think this will be the lowest that we record all season.

Then it will be a case of riding the winter out to see who has come closest or hit the nail on the head. Perhaps the role call should take place come the middle or March or so, as it is highly unusual if not unprecedented to record the lowest min for the season after this period (again anyone have the stats on this).

If people don't like the thread then remove it.., but personally I think it will make riding the winter out even that bit more interesting.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

I'm going to say -23.7'c somewhere over the scottish mountains

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

These are the minimums over the past 20 years, just to give everybody an idea. I could go back to a century, but i would fill a whole page up!!

1987 -23.3 Caldecott (Leics.) 13 January

1988 -11.6 Carnwath (Strathclyde) 22 November

1989 -14.0 Tummell Bridge 15 December

1990 -8.4 Grantown-on-Spey 15 February

1991 -16.0 Cawood (N Yorks.) 14 February

1992 -12.3 Worcester 22, 23 January

1993 -15.8 Altnaharra 26 December

1994 -13.8 Strathallan (Perth.) 17 February

1995 -27.2 Altnaharra 30 December

1996 -13.0 Aviemore 25 December

1997 -15.2 Shepshed (Lincs.) 3 January

1998 -17.0 Altnaharra 1 March

1999 -14.0 Sennybridge (south Wales) 20 December

2000 -15.0 Dalmally (Argyll) 30 December

2001 -21.7 Kibrace (Caithneess) 3 March

2002 -16.1 Grantown 2 January

2003 -18.3 Aviemore 7 January

2004 -15.2 Kinbrace (Sutherland) 19 December

2005 -13.2 Ravensworth (North Yorks.) 29 December

2006 -16.4 Altnaharra 2 March

2007 -10.7 Altnaharra 9 February

Im going for the average minimum for the past 20 years. -16.7C

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
2002 -16.1 Grantown 2 January

Pfff we obviously need an official weather station at both Carrbridge and Alvie if thats the lowest official figure recorded for Strathspey in 2002!

Anyway I'm going for -22c.

Posted
I think the lowest so far this season is -7.8 degrees in Saughall in Cheshire recorded on thursday - do correct me if I'm wrong (incidentally I have just asked this question in the frost discussion thread).

Saughall is in East Ayrshire. Not sure where you got Cheshire from.

EDIT

-23C in the East Midlands in Jan 1987. I suspect there are many people on here who just don't realise that temps of -10C were quite common even in southern England only two decades ago. So hard to imagine -23C being recorded anywhere near the Midlands this winter. Quite sad, really, and shows how far we've come in such a short space.

Suffolk Boy

December 29 2005, -13.2C Ravensworth (N Yorks), where is this figure from? Don't think it's official. -12.8C at Aviemore that morning, and the RAF stations in N Yorks recorded -8C and -9C.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

-47C in Telford

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

-19.4 in the highlands,-10.8 in england and -8.4 in ireland

Posted
Saughall is in East Ayrshire. Not sure where you got Cheshire from.

EDIT

-23C in the East Midlands in Jan 1987. I suspect there are many people on here who just don't realise that temps of -10C were quite common even in southern England only two decades ago. So hard to imagine -23C being recorded anywhere near the Midlands this winter. Quite sad, really, and shows how far we've come in such a short space.

Suffolk Boy

December 29 2005, -13.2C Ravensworth (N Yorks), where is this figure from? Don't think it's official. -12.8C at Aviemore that morning, and the RAF stations in N Yorks recorded -8C and -9C.

Nick, I'm not sure I'd say 'common'. The number of nights in a typical winter when -10C might be breached, if not widely, at least away from obvious prone locations, was always fairly few even in cold winters.

-10C usually requires embedded and established cold, and probably a large snowfield. It doesn't tend to be a level reached in the lowlands of S England by a passing cold sector.

It would be interesting to see an actual frequency count, because I might be understating the case, but I have to say I very much doubt it.

Anything below -15C has always been quite exceptional.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I will go for -13C Isle of Wight -20C in the Midlands/Wales and -23C in Scotland ;) :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

1987 -23.3 Caldecott (Leics.) 13 January.

Wow!!! Wish I had been around in 87, I was born in 88, missed it by 1 year :lol: I have never saw anything that low in Leicester before, lowest I can remember was about -12 where I live.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I reckon about -15C in the highlands of Scotland most likely.

Talking about lowest temps you remember in your local area I can't remember anything lower than -7C here in my lifetime, though I may be wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Probably somewhere around -19, in Scotland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

-24.3C over Scotland with -15C over Dartmoor, and record 1929 esque snowfalls (180cm) :lol:

Posted

I reckon a -20.1 in the Highlands would e good, no reason, just would be nice to see. -13.5 in the midlands somewhere. As a kid living in Surrey (that well known cool area) I regularly remember -10 nights in the 80's, even -5 days too. Also we seemed to have at least 6 inches of snow at least once every winter and often snow would hang around for days or over a week. Im sure I remember a winter where I got in about 10 sledging days on the downs, not bad as I could only go at weekends! Those were the days!

Posted

I'll go for -14 somewhere in the Scottish highlands (Altnaharra or Tummel Bridge perhaps). And yes I remember January 1987 well (we had our coldest day of the 20th century in Southampton followed by our coldest night - think it was around -5 max, -11 min).

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I'll throw in a guess at -16.7 C at Aviemore or altnaharra. You never know! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I am going to be controversial and go for a new record of - 28.1 :) This will be in Scotland, probs Altnaharra. As for England, I am thinking maybe a -19.8 somewhere in the North Midlands.

Edited by mam500