Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forgotten British Storms

knightstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

The storm of 27th Oct 2002 will always stick out in my memory, there were gusts of 100mph here and associated rain in the following days brought flooding to my area. I remember saying this before but I went to Lyme Regis on the day to check out the waves, I could not walk into the wind and you had to be careful walking with your back to the wind as it was often strong enough to take you off your feet. What was remarkable also was that the winds weren't really is gusts, it seemed like a sustained onslaught at these very high windspeeds. There was quite a bit of damage to trees and to houses in a few places. This storm will always stick in my memory.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted
Everyone seems to remember 87 for obvious reasons i.e, it wasn't properly predicted and it caused more chaos in just a few hours than any other British weather event in living memory, people also remember than Burn's Day Storm in 1990 and some also mention the Christmas and Nu Year storms of 97/98, and more recently the massive storms that hit northern Europe and the UK last January. But who remembers these?

1996 - Tail end of Hurricane Lilly brings 80mph winds to Southern England!

2000 - Night of 29th/30th October brought most fearsome autumnul storm since 87 when 90mph plus winds hit South-East accompanied by heavy rain, flood chaos followed!

2002 - Sunday 27th October, people woke up for breakfast time to high winds across the whole of Southern England and Wales, 85mph is recorded in London, and 100mph is recorded in Bristol!

You people have short memories, the one I'll never forget was the 29th Oct 2000 storm it was the night after my 14th birthday and I have never seen wind like it my bedroom window was shaking and I thought it was gonna smash in, the noise sounded like an express train rushing right past me, the rain was so heavy aswell, I was terryfied and didn't think I would live to see the next day let alone 15!! :)

i Remeber jan 2rd 76; Gales they knocked out our lights an all. and the number one song was dec 63" how what a night.

TEZZ

Posted
the 80s for me....we dont seem to get the spanish plume anymore...I personally think the yrs 2000+..are rubbish compared to the 80s

i agree i had well i was on my motorbike in oct 82, when i just missed bein hit by a tornado in wolverhampton wolves ground no i was not going to the match i hate sport i was visitin my relatives there,it was very windy all of a sudden.

i nearly was blown off it.bike that was...........mz 250

yes the weather now in uk is really dull compared to early 80,s.......snow thick 3 ft dec 81 and into jan 82 temps were 18 deg f to 12 deg f. its all in my books ill post my log books soon on my albums pics.and see my weather checks. 1980 to now............

Tezz

Posted
Was that 2005 storm the one which produced 125mph winds, and made the news the next morning?? I think I remember that one, cause it got quite windy down south aswell, but nothing like that bad I would say we experienced 50-60mph gusts!

yes i was too power cuts at 7pm lights went out by cuts for 2 hrs or more.

TEZZ