Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Great Storm of '87

Paul

Posted
still awaiting confirmation, or otherwise, about the comment by Michael regarding the French Met O strike.

Unofficially the two still in the Met O both say they have no recollection but are checking it out.

I will post on this later this evening, Michael is wrong I'm afraid.

• 4 months later...
Posted
To mark 20 years since the October 16th storm of 1987, Michael Fish has put together a podcast summing up events in his own words, and dispelling a few myths about the forecasts which lead up to the event. This podcast will be available from next week on the site and will be the first in a new series of podcasts which will become regularly available on Netweather.

Any news on the next podcasts and their content Paul?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Very interesting podcast from Michael and I look forward to the ones in the future.

I was a baby in the great storm of 1987 so naturally I don't remember anything :)

I was a student at Ports Poly and was up all night :)

Tree down and 'looting in North End !

My parents slept through it all

Posted

I was living in Kent at the time and had only been married since the August. That evening my hubby and I went up to Oxford Street after work and I remember it being unseasonably warm, it was odd ..... The wind started to increase after midnight and continued until around 7am.

I found it a scary night, it was pitch black because of the power cut at 1am, and because of the noise we had no choice but to listen to the terrible wind and lots of banging and crashing sounds outside :)

We had a rickety old shed in our garden while our neighbours had newer ones. When we went outside the next day to check for damage our old shed had survived. One neighbour's shed had been blown on its side, the other shed's 4 sides had collapsed and the contents were strewn around neighbouring gardens.

All we lost was 1/2 a roof tile. Very minor compared to all of those who lost their lives or whose homes were badly damaged.