Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moon Phases

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

I apologise if this has already been started before, but i looked and could find any topics relating to this subject ,

Anyway , save posting in the model thread i thought a new thread would be ideal for general discussion, relating to weather patterns around each phase of the moon

Ive been doing quite a bit of reasearch on this and through my research , i have found that the moon DOES have influence on our weather .

What are your views on this ?

Is it possible to forecast the weather around each Moon phase?

Do you believe that the moon has influence on our weather?

Im trying to gather as much data has possible regarding this subject { like i mentioned ive been making notes for the last year regarding weather patterns around each moon phase]

Nigel

Posted

An interesting character is Ken Ring.. Perhaps you may want to read some of his work Nigel?

While some of his ideas are a bit wild, he did have some success with his predictions when he posted on here a couple of years ago.

http://www.predictweather.com/

Posted

Pottyproof

Thanks for that , i have already looked at the website, i will be going out to purchase is book next time i go to town {or purchase it on line }

thanks again

nigel

Posted
Pottyproof

Thanks for that , i have already looked at the website, i will be going out to purchase is book next time i go to town {or purchase it on line }

thanks again

nigel

Drop him an Email Nigel. I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I've mentioned before on threads that any attempts to link Lunar influence on any terrestrial event appears to be social suicide!

I have strong 'pro' views on lunar impacts in a number of fields here on Earth but then I'm already viewed as 'fringe' by some quarters so I haven't much reputation to lose!!!

Posted
I've mentioned before on threads that any attempts to link Lunar influence on any terrestrial event appears to be social suicide!

I have strong 'pro' views on lunar impacts in a number of fields here on Earth but then I'm already viewed as 'fringe' by some quarters so I haven't much reputation to lose!!!

Everybody has views GW. Yours are just as important at painting the whole picture as anyone else's views.. :drinks:

I don't believe the moon has any affect on our weather. I can't see what scientific process it would possibly take.

I'm sure the thousands of the world's meteorologists, climatologists, astronomers etc would have noticed if it had any effect, yet there is nothing in the mainstream scientific literature about it that I'm aware of.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I'm with GW on this one, fringe or no fringe, the Moon impacts many things including us. I'd be fascinated to learn what correlations show up with the weather.

Posted
I don't believe the moon has any affect on our weather. I can't see what scientific process it would possibly take.

I'm sure the thousands of the world's meteorologists, climatologists, astronomers etc would have noticed if it had any effect, yet there is nothing in the mainstream scientific literature about it that I'm aware of.

If the atmosphere is a perfect sphere, then the weight of water pushing into it due to the effect of the moon, will cause an increase in pressure.. If not, then where is the pressure balanced out?? Moon does affect the atmosphere somehow..

Posted

Morning everyone

Since 1940 there has been 2 full moons occur on the 26th october, one in 1977 and the other in 1996,In 1977 there was heavy flooding around the borders on the 31st

In 1996 we saw some strong winds on 26th/ 27th/ 28th/ 29th, {Remnants of Hurricane Lili}gusts of 90mph was recorded on the Devon and Hamshire coasts on the 27th. This was the worst gale to hit the South since that of 1993

Is this Coincidence ? or did the Full Moon play a part in this ?

NIGEL

thanks for your replies so far ?? much appreciated

Posted

Just spotted these on the 00z run , I know this is in FI at present and its a long way out ,

However these charts are coinciding with the Full moon 3 days later

Nigel

Edited by stormchaser1

Posted

my apologies

i forgot to post the slp chart for the 23rd

nigel

Posted

I'd guess at the influence being both transient and 'macro' in nature.

The tidal flow associated with the moon ,both whilst overhead (negative gravitational anomaly as the moon 'draws 'us towards it) and behind the earth (combining with the earths gravity)

'Transient' as it's maximum 'impact'((whilst overhead/underneath) over any one day is probably in the order of 40 or so minutes and 'macro' as I imagine it would 'draw out' the whole of the troposphere (in the way it 'draws out' the oceans/seas in a tidal bulge) as it passes overhead and 'flattening' it out as it passes underneath.

In some instances you would imagine this playing a part in our weather, either in aiding formation of 'systems' or intensifying existing systems (acting as a 'catalyst' in their formation/continuation)) but mostly, like the tidal bulge in deep oceans, it would pass un-noticed.

I suppose the question is whether you can pinpoint re-current events in the weather that could be impacted upon by moon phase/position/inclination ((like spring tides causing problems if intensified by storm surges) to further 'refine' your forcasts.

Just my thinkings on this fine, approaching new moon, Sunday

I've no doubt the moon affects the Earth and indeed our atmosphere, whether it affects our weather in any meaningful way is another matter. I'd be interested if someone has the time to look at our past weather and compare it with full moons and so on, and see if it turns up anything. If no pattern can be found then I suppose that disproves that the moon affects our weather. That could be one for you Gray-Wolf, I'd be genuinely interested in that. Am not dismissing the possiblity, just don't see any evidence to believe it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Posted

In my experience of the fairer sex their moonthly hormonal dance is generally not something they are conscious of any only become grudgingly aware of their mental influence/personality shift on viewing the reactions of their 'behaviours' on others. In effect, as it creeps up slowly, they become 'habitualise' to the gradual changes as they occur.

I imagine many folk are exactly the same way about the physiological influences of the moons 'phase' and the impact that this has on their behaviours ("it's just how I am").

Posted

very interesting thread and i,ve been trying this out using a combination of these two sites

http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/de/wetter/maps/

mslp maps only going to oct 2002

and this

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/phas...ase2001gmt.html

i,ve looked at the full moon dates for the last five years for october and yes there are good LP systems over the uk and although i,ve gone through it date for date i dont see a pattern in fact over the last year it seems to me to be about 50/50 HP LP

have a go yourself see what you think

as for octobers i think its probaly more seasonal than lunar

anyway deserves more study

just down the list in this section there is a photo from juergen de boer of the full moon which set me thinking as down here 8/10 times you will usaully see a full moon which says something about the weather around a full moon

Edited by blackdown

Posted

Evening everyone

Thanks for all your comments so far, and links, i really appreciate this thakyou.

I now have the main computer running again , so i will look through some of the data that i have aquired , during the phases of the moon so far this year , and i will post during the week , when i have a little time on my hand

Thanks again

Nigel

Posted

I have often wondered if the moon can impact our weather. My dad always comes out with things like "cold weather coming in with a full moon will last for a month". After all, if the moon can affect the oceans, why not the atmosphere and meteorology?

Posted
I have often wondered if the moon can impact our weather. My dad always comes out with things like "cold weather coming in with a full moon will last for a month". After all, if the moon can affect the oceans, why not the atmosphere and meteorology?

There's enough of us running around with the nutty tag on.. Then again there's always room for more.. ;)

Posted

New Moon approaching on the 11th October/ moon will be Apogee {furthest away}on the 13th October at 0954hrs approx 406489Km Current conditions light rain / slight breeze of 3.5mph approaching from the South current temp 9.8c

if any one is interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_the_Moon

nigel

Posted

The Moon does have an impact on the weather and that is during an eclipse of the Sun and in particular a total eclipse. Temperatures drop, convection is weakened generally.

I noticed during the 90% partial from Manchester in 1999 that my thermometer (not under standard conditions) dropped 5C.

Other impacts the Moon could have is open to debate.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

From an outsider, cursory, perspective I would allude that the moon does affect the weather as part of some hitherto unknown fashion. I base this on the notion that modern meteorological methods include ocean-atmosphere coupling, and we all know that the moon affects the ocean (so by reason that if we need to model the ocean to predict the weather, then we should also be modelling what affects the oceans, too)

I'd suspect, though, that other signals override this pattern most of the time - so any successes would be due to the other signals not being strong enough to 'out-do' the moon signal at the time.

Of course I have no evidence to back this up, just me own thoughts.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

and ,V.P., if you couple you posts sentiments with the 'transient' nature of the moon as it passes through it's maximum effects it'd be pretty hard to pin down the consequences on the weather in any of its particular 'moods'. Like Spring tides and storm surges there must be circumstances where the impact of the moon has quite a measurable effect on certain weather types and atmospheric developments. It'd appear strange for it not to.