Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Al Gore film

noggin

Posted

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1811

Thank goodness for some common sense here. Some common sense will hopefully put the brakes on the political AGW hysteria to which our children are subjected at school.

School should provide a balanced view .......give the youngsters an appropriate, balanced amount of information from both/all sides (according to age and ability) and encourage them to make their own rational conclusions.

Hopefully more common sense will follow regarding other things with which they are indoctrinated at school :) ....but I digress, sorry. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Indeed, thank goodness for common sense. Can I tempt you with this Noggin?

http://ga6.org/campaign/gore_thankyou

Posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1811

Thank goodness for some common sense here. Some common sense will hopefully put the brakes on the political AGW hysteria to which our children are subjected at school.

School should provide a balanced view .......give the youngsters an appropriate, balanced amount of information from both/all sides (according to age and ability) and encourage them to make their own rational conclusions.

Hopefully more common sense will follow regarding other things with which they are indoctrinated at school :) ....but I digress, sorry. :)

Humm, by balanced you mean it should be shown or banned?

Posted
Humm, by balanced you mean it should be shown or banned?

I think the main issue was that it was being presented as fact and that the education policy specifically bans political material.

Posted
I think the main issue was that it was being presented as fact and that the education policy specifically bans political material.

I'm not sure it was being presented as 'fact' but I'll take you word for it.

Posted

Dev.....do you have children at school?

I ask, because I can't tell if you are aware or not of what goes on in schools these days.

Posted

You have to remeber that in some public schools in America they don't even want to teach the theory of evolution, prefering to say that man was created directly by God and dinosaur bones were put their just to test us. It's hardly suprising that somebody in America objected to Al Gore's film. Damn those scientists and their pesky evidence.

Posted
Dev.....do you have children at school?

Personally no. But, that I'm not an expert in what goes on in schools matters? Then the same applies to climate science :)

I ask, because I can't tell if you are aware or not of what goes on in schools these days.

See above.

Posted
You have to remeber that in some public schools in America they don't even want to teach the theory of evolution, prefering to say that man was created directly by God and dinosaur bones were put their just to test us. It's hardly suprising that somebody in America objected to Al Gore's film. Damn those scientists and their pesky evidence.

The complainant was a lorry driver from Dover. Not a daft American.

Posted
The complainant was a lorry driver from Dover. Not a daft American.

Doh, I should probably stop posting on Net Weather when I have flu. I think I need some more drugs..

I haven't seen the film, but if there is some political opinions in the movie then I suppose the ruling is fair. If it's just about the science though, I don't see why it shouldn't be taught. The idea that we should teach our children balanced versions of everything is ridiculous though I think, should we give them evidence that the holocaust didn't happen, that we didn't land on the moon, that God created the Earth etc? I think not.

Edited by Magpie

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
I haven't seen the film, but if there is some political opinions in the movie then I suppose the ruling is fair. If it's just about the science though, I don't see why it shouldn't be taught. The idea that we should teach our children balanced versions of everything is ridiculous though I think, should we give them evidence that the holocaust didn't happen, that we didn't land on the moon, that God created the Earth etc? I think not.

We certainly should teach our children both sides of a legitimate argument - that's not the same thing as simply offering contrary views of everything, regardless of their accuracy or relevance.

I think that if they show An Inconvenient Truth in schools then they should also show the Convenient Fiction web documentary which I posted a link to a few months back. http://www.aconvenientfiction.com/

It's definitely worth a watch.

:)

CB

EDIT - Now that I stop and think about it, why are they teaching GW/AGW in schools anyway? If they teach children about morals and responsibility and so on then AGW lessons are irrelevant. It does sound like brainwashing to me... :(

Edited by Captain_Bobski

Posted

I wouldn't have a problem with my nipper seeing this at school,so long as they also showed him something like 'The Great Global Warming Swindle' too. All in the interest of seeing both sides,you understand.

Posted
We certainly should teach our children both sides of a legitimate argument - that's not the same thing as simply offering contrary views of everything, regardless of their accuracy or relevance.

I think that if they show An Inconvenient Truth in schools then they should also show the Convenient Fiction web documentary which I posted a link to a few months back. http://www.aconvenientfiction.com/

It's definitely worth a watch.

:)

CB

Eek, one of the first words the author says is to call (that's call) VP AL Gore an 'extremist'. Good scientific stuff?

Now, still listening as I type he says 'either you are an alarmist or a sceptic'. Pejorative codswallop ;)

Sorry, gotta go now, but I've heard enough in the first few minutes.

Would I ban it? No. Just chuckle :)

Posted
Eek, one of the first words the author says is to call (that's call) VP AL Gore an 'extremist'. Good scientific stuff?

Now, still listening as I type he says 'either you are an alarmist or a sceptic'. Pejorative codswallop :wallbash:

But would you question the wisdom of showing either to an impressionable 11 year old?

Posted
But would you question the wisdom of showing either to an impressionable 11 year old?

I would, would you?

Posted

Now, still listening as I type he says 'either you are an alarmist or a sceptic'. Pejorative codswallop :wallbash:

If you actually watch the documentary (and listen, too!) then you may find that his opening comments are rather tongue-in-cheek. His comment on being "either an alarmist or a skeptic" is to highlight the perceived division in the AGW debate. It is neither pejorative nor codswallop.

Watch the whole film. Really. I insist. You certainly have not heard enough, and if you're willing to dismiss it on the basis of a misunderstanding of the opening five minutes then perhaps you aren't going to listen to what it has to say anyway...

CB

Posted
If you actually watch the documentary (and listen, too!) then you may find that his opening comments are rather tongue-in-cheek. His comment on being "either an alarmist or a skeptic" is to highlight the perceived division in the AGW debate. It is neither pejorative nor codswallop.

Watch the whole film. Really. I insist. You certainly have not heard enough, and if you're willing to dismiss it on the basis of a misunderstanding of the opening five minutes then perhaps you aren't going to listen to what it has to say anyway...

CB

CB,

The first minutes are what most people watch, well, first. It is the part that gives the audience the idea/impression of what the film is about, keeps them in their seats. As I said, I had to go - I do have a life to lead you know :wallbash:

I suggest you read what P3 wrote about the word alarmist...People like me are alarmed the use of the word alarmist is to try and discredit us - you must see that surely?

I will try to watch it but, tbh, thick skinned though I am, I don't really see why I have to watch some AEI employee mocking people like me. I thought we were trying to be serious scientists here???

Edited by Devonian

Posted
I would, would you?

No I wouldn't. I think the day we step away from text books and onto media representations and interpretations of ANY subject as a method of teaching children, particularly ones so young is a worrying day indeed. They have neither the maturity nor knowledge to be able to judge and decifer the truth from spin, a subject, any subject, taught in schools to young children is accepted at face value as being fact. Neither film should be presented to primary school kids.

Edited by jethro

Posted
CB,

The first minutes are what most people watch, well, first. It is the part that gives the audience the idea/impression of what the film is about, keeps them in their seats. As I said, I had to go - I do have a life to lead you know ;)

I suggest you read what P3 wrote about the word alarmist...People like me are alarmed the use of the word alarmist is to try and discredit us - you must see that surely?

I will try to watch it but, tbh, thick skinned though I am, I don't really see why I have to watch some AEI employee mocking people like me. I thought we were trying to be serious scientists here???

Nope, you've missed the point again - he's not calling "people like you" alarmists at all. If you're going to give up on the piece because you have wrongly taken offence by his opening comments then you obviously are not interested at all in hearing a legitimate counterpoint. It's only about 50 minutes long - if you can spare over an hour for Al Gore then surely you can spare 50 minutes for a rebuttal?

CB

Posted
Nope, you've missed the point again - he's not calling "people like you" alarmists at all. If you're going to give up on the piece because you have wrongly taken offence by his opening comments then you obviously are not interested at all in hearing a legitimate counterpoint. It's only about 50 minutes long - if you can spare over an hour for Al Gore then surely you can spare 50 minutes for a rebuttal?

CB

Well, who are the alarmists he repeatedly speaks of then?

Btw, I've done you the honour of watching most of it - so no need for the last sentence or general tone.

Posted
Well, who are the alarmists he repeatedly speaks of then?

Btw, I've done you the honour of watching most of it - so no need for the last sentence or general tone.

...and you're complaining about my general tone...?!

You have done me no honour, sir. You should watch it for yourself, not for me.

Have you taken in anything he says other than the word "alarmist"?

CB

Posted
...and you're complaining about my general tone...?!

You have done me no honour, sir. You should watch it for yourself, not for me.

Have you taken in anything he says other than the word "alarmist"?

CB

I've asked you who the 'alarmists' he refers to are, please answer.

Edited by Devonian