Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rainbows...

M'Lady

Posted

Lord P listens to Radio 2. (It's his only fault.)

The other day he heard an 'interesting' fact; apparently it is impossible to see a rainbow around midday.

Knowing I spend most of my days perusing an internet weather forum when I should be doing menial household tasks, he asked me if it was true.

I didn't know but I said I'd try to find out for him...

So, c'mon boffins... can you see a rainbow around midday?

Posted

I thought that too, but just checking my photos I found this shot I took at 13:02 in York back in March this year. Then again in March the sun isn't all that high in the sky even at midday, so it must be to do with the angle of the sun not the time of day? - if that makes any sense :blink:

post-631-1190058225_thumb.jpg

Posted

This is a really hard one to answer, 50% of people say yes and 50% say no. Dont suppose that helps much, but Spayne is right in what he/she says about the angle of the Sun. I am pretty sure you cannot get a 12 Noon Rainbow in the Summer or when the Sun is above 42%, but have heard of occurences in the Winter Months, you can also sometimes see Rainbows at 12 noon when on a Mountain side or from an Aeroplane.

Paul S

Posted

Eeek, difficult one.

Technically, rainbows are centred on the bit of the sky directly opposite the Sun, so when the Sun's overhead, it would be pretty difficult to spot a rainbow. However, there are other atmospheric phenenomena that also show rainbow-type colours. I'll ask my Dad (long-standing rainbow/other atmospheric phenomena watcher) if he's come across any good websites...