Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

25th July-22nd August 1995: Hot, dry and sunny!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Have to say i think 1995 was the best summer hands down..better than 1976..and way ahead of 2003 or 2006..mind you 1989 often gets overlooked as a good summer..also July 1994 is often forgotten as a hot month....and my favourite June 2005 superb summer month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Again thanks for these- I was particularly interested in seeing the background to that particular event. My weather records from Cleadon suggested a day of sunshine and showers on the 7th, a cloudy and very windy day on the 8th with showery rain, and then a brighter (though still windy) day on the 9th with light showers late on. I have vague recollections of some quite potent convection on the 7th, but don't have any 'photographic' recollections of subsequent days.

Presumably the occluded front on the 9th ended up just to the south-east of Cleadon, which would tally with Philip Eden's comment in Weather Log about Norwich having only 4 hours' sunshine from the 8th-15th June inclusive. However the subsequent period 10th-13th was also markedly cold, grey and drizzly over north-east England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Such a poor June but an amazing July and August. The fickleness of British weather!

Posted

Such a poor June but an amazing July and August. The fickleness of British weather!

Was actually a very decent June. The last week of June was exceptionally warm. The 30th had a mean England temperature of 29.1c and was the 8th hottest day of the summer. The first half was rather cool but the second half was very warm.

The 13th had a mean at 14.0c. Only around 3c below normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Was actually a very decent June. The last week of June was exceptionally warm. The 30th had a mean England temperature of 29.1c and was the 8th hottest day of the summer. The first half was rather cool but the second half was very warm.

The 13th had a mean at 14.0c. Only around 3c below normal.

True, the last few days of June were hot, but much cooler earlier in the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The first half of June 1995 had a strong west-east split as many of those forecasts illustrate- many western parts had some dry sunny interludes with maximum temperatures near normal and chilly nights, but it was cool and cloudy in the east- exceptionally so for East Anglia and south-east England. I didn't know that the negative anomaly for London was around 5 degrees though! It does highlight the warmth of the second half too, considering that Heathrow's mean temperature for June 1995 ended up very close to the long-term normal.

Posted

I do remember one big thunderstorm in the middle of that summer which hit in the evening and seemed to go on all night. It may have been on the above date, but I don't remember.

There was an even bigger thunderstorm here on the night of 4-5th September, not long after the hot dry summer finally broke. I usually sleep through thunderstorms but this one woke me up. It was quite scary actually. The next day everywhere was flooded.

Posted

I always associated Summer 1995 with a relatively thundery July (essentially a hotter, sunnier and less thundery version of July 1994) but much below average thunder activity in June and August. In Tyneside thunder activity was about normal with storms on the 11th/12th July, a weaker one on the 15th July, and hail and thunder from a north to north-westerly regime on the 27th August, though many other regions did fall somewhat short of the normal, particularly East Anglia.

Those 10th/11th July forecasts have a lot of nostalgic value as I remember watching the synoptics closely, being quite excited by the showery thundery period being forecast up to the time of the British Grand Prix (16th July).

Posted

Here's that scorching Countryfile forecast again of 30th July 1995

Here's the 2nd August 1995 forecast and a hint of some relief from the hot weather. I remember a couple of small thunderstorm during this period. They developed over the Pennines and pushed westwards on the flow.