Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

'flowers in the rain'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

damn summer... watching this years blooms from my kitchen wasnt what i had planned for july :(post-2797-1184341525_thumb.jpg

Posted

Know the feeling Rob. Rotting flowers, slugs and snails, aphids by the barrow load and nowhere dry to sprawl out. Stunning!! :(

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

On the positive side it's been the best year for Hydrangeas I can remember.

Recent dry, warm summers have resulted in small, short lasting blooms, lacking in colour but this year they've put on a tremendous display.

Roses, on the other hand, are a different story.

T.M

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

I have wonderful runner beans this year :whistling: :unsure:

post-1046-1185441977_thumb.jpg

and as for this, going brown already

post-1046-1185442000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Carfoot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

My runner beans look about as good as yours, Paul. Beetroot non existant.

Raspberries are good though, and Blueberries although the latter aren't ripe yet. My Buddlea hasn't started to flower yet so it hasn't had chance to go brown but the strong winds a week ago did strip lots of leaves from it.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Hi TM

Yes I guess it’s not a great year for runner beans.

Dug up a couple of rows of potatoes about 2 weeks ago, which have done very well this year, despite the sodden ground, picked some blackberries yesterday, they also seemed better than usual, so it’s not all gloom.

My tomatoes started off outside as they have done in recent years, but have had to bring them in to the conservatory as they weren’t responding very well at all outside.

My white Buddleia gives a good display most years and is covered in butterflies, this year the displays are tuning brown very quickly and I have only spotted 1 coma and 1 red admiral so far.

Paul

Edited by Paul Carfoot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Tell you what have been enjoying this weather surprisingly enough - Orchids - they really love the humid, mild weather and its been perfect for them.

My T. Fortuneii has also been enjoying the mild, humid weather this summer and is currently growing about 6 fronds a month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
My white Buddleia gives a good display most years and is covered in butterflies, this year the displays are tuning brown very quickly and I have only spotted 1 coma and 1 red admiral so far.

Paul

My blue buddleia is doing the same unfortunately, have seen a fair few butterflies on it though as it is still managing to provide a few fresh flowers.

My roses that I posted pictures of in the "Somerset in Bloom" thread are looking really sorry for themselves now; only a few flowers remain and very little in the way of leaves, bald green stalks is about all I can see. The dalias and rudbeckia are about the only things that looks nice in my garden at the moment. And I wish I had somewhere to move my tomatoes aswell, two of the bushes are only on their first truss and I am yet to have a ripe tomato from any of them. A very poor summer indeed.

Posted
I have wonderful runner beans this year :(:(

post-1046-1185441977_thumb.jpg

and as for this, going brown already

My runnner beans have hardly left the ground this year about 18 inches tall, we were always borderline for them in the past as summers were usually too cold but in the last 10 years they had done really well with plenty of warm spells over 70 F so this year shows we can still get cool summers when temperatures hardly ever get over 70 F. Growth in the garden and on the farm is poor as the summer has been so wet and sunless but the last dryer week has helped and we still are hoping to make some hay in August.

Posted
My blue buddleia is doing the same unfortunately, have seen a fair few butterflies on it though as it is still managing to provide a few fresh flowers.

My roses that I posted pictures of in the "Somerset in Bloom" thread are looking really sorry for themselves now; only a few flowers remain and very little in the way of leaves, bald green stalks is about all I can see. The dalias and rudbeckia are about the only things that looks nice in my garden at the moment. And I wish I had somewhere to move my tomatoes aswell, two of the bushes are only on their first truss and I am yet to have a ripe tomato from any of them. A very poor summer indeed.

My runnner beans have hardly left the ground this year about 18 inches tall, we were always borderline for them in the past as summers were usually too cold but in the last 10 years they had done really well with plenty of warm spells over 70 F so this year shows we can still get cool summers when temperatures hardly ever get over 70 F. Growth in the garden and on the farm is poor as the summer has been so wet and sunless but the last dryer week has helped and we still are hoping to make some hay in August.

Things have picked up somewhat this week with the arrival of better weather down here, my buddleia has many more butterflies now, many Peacocks and a few Red Admirals, and I picked 1 runner bean yesterday :(

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Our Buddleia is just about approaching full bloom, and with the terrible weather they have been going brown quickly aswell. There had been no butterflies at all seen in the garden this year until this weeks settled spell and as it was quite warm I was hoping for quite a few butterflies but I have only seen one Small Tortoiseshell and one Meadow Brown. I am now dead heading in attempt to keep them flowering as long as possible in hope thqat before the summer is out we might get a few hot days which will bring alot more butteflies out.