Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Buying a weather station

Posted

outside and its on a strong metal post which i got with it did you get a post with it? and also mines on my shed heres a few pics i have put my wind reader and direction reader about 12ft high on my shed also my rain gauge is just under

there about 5ft high and my temp and wet bulb is altogether its about 10ft high

Posted

I didn't get a long post so i am goign to have to buy one. The probelm about having it to hight is there might be sime fussy neighbours around and they might complain .

Posted

Put a shelf on a fence post and put the rain gauge on that??

I have a spare aluminium scaffold pole if you want it Mark.. 20ft.. You'll just need someone to pick it up.

Posted

All set up now. Thanks for the offer pottyprof. I will post a pic tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. However we still need to sort out the computer conection

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hope you Enjoy it Mark, im sure you will!

I dont go into all the Detailed Stuff in weather although i like it. I mustnt be that Intrested as i dont want to do anything in weather when im older. As ive already said in marks sats thread i want to be a Policeman.

Ill be keeping an eye on you lot! Lol!

I heard Mark wanted to work at the Metofice! Good Luck!

Posted

Yep. Trafic cops has interested me as well. I am always watch them. Police camra action,The one on the BBC (Trafic cops). I need somthing so i can conect there weather station to my laptop

Guest Viking141

Mines all set up too, anemometer way up on a mast and whirling nicely! Got the software all fine tuned so I'll let it chunter away overnight to settle down. Look forward to getting a lot of use out of this particularly over the coming winter! Hoping to get a website set up as well and upload it to there.

:(

Edited by Viking141

Posted

I know that adding an extension to any of the sensors is a pain in the butt. La Crosse use standard RJ11 cables so no problem there. It's the waterproofing of the connections. The best way I've found is to ram the extension socket full of Vaseline then plug in and wrap the connector in cling film before taping up.

Hope it might help someone at some point.. :D

Posted
Good :) whats it like? I know i had to waint all day for my dad to help me put it up

Im the same gotta wait for my dad to help tomorrow

I know that adding an extension to any of the sensors is a pain in the butt. La Crosse use standard RJ11 cables so no problem there. It's the waterproofing of the connections. The best way I've found is to ram the extension socket full of Vaseline then plug in and wrap the connector in cling film before taping up.

Hope it might help someone at some point.. :)

thanks mate sure it will come in handy

Posted

The way I've waterproofed stuff for the village wireless network is to use self-amalgamating tape. It's amazing stuff and works a treat.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/S...g_Tape_4099.htm

Posted
The way I've waterproofed stuff for the village wireless network is to use self-amalgamating tape. It's amazing stuff and works a treat.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/S...g_Tape_4099.htm

I used that twice OON.. I think my problem more than anything is that the cable supplied runs out on a 45 degree angle and any gaps the rain does get into. If you saw it, you'd shake your head and wonder how it manages to stay up. I will say that it sticks to cling film very well without leakage. How you use this information is up to you of course.

Posted

Thanks to all for an informative thread. I am just about to take the plunge and get a weather station as I am moviing permanently to Ireland. The area I am moving to is near the Atlantic coast so it is important that I have one that can take a battering from the winds (especially if future winters/spriings are anything like the last one :rolleyes: ). I had been thinking of putting the anonometer at the front but I am not sure it would survive.

I am particularly interested in the wind speed and rainfall totals so if there are any further recommendations for someone on a modest budget I would be grateful.

How easy are they to hook up to the PC as I am not very technical minded.

I am also thinking of getting a hand held anonometer so I can use it when I am out and about. Any recommendations?

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Morning RoisinD

Regarding the Anonmeters, I Use a La Crosse Anonmeter , Measures wind speed in Knots {or Mph}and also shows the BFT scale and temperature, i paid £20 for this should have cost £40,. I went to a place called Natural world in Newcastle where i came across this one

Hope this helps

nigel

Posted

I'm afraid the only weather station that comes close to giving true gust speeds is the Vantage Pro because, I think I'm right in saying, all the other ones take a reading over something between an 8 second and a 30 second period, which of course, greatly reduces the actual gusts. The Vantage Pro takes a reading every two seconds I think.

Drop Meteorologica a PM and ask for some advice if I were you.

Posted

Aye. As OON says, the Davis pro equipment is the gear to get for its accuracy. It's a question of budget really but there is a trade off.