Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Buying a weather station

Posted

Well if that's your rule of thumb it's about right....Scapegoat is in parts about 400-450m high....I will be 170m high so (by Clough Mill Pennine) which could well give you the 3 degrees. :D

Posted

when i got my new weather station i got a cable that aloud me to connect it to my laptop. The only problem is its like a monitor cable with the pins. You have a flat one and one with pins where you put it in. I have two flat ends so i need a different wire with an Ethernet cable so i can connect station to my computer. People who have the same weather station as me will know what i am talking about. Does any one know where i can get the cable from because i tried Curry's and comet and they don't have one

Here is a link

http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/...00--WS3600.html

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

If you have a camera take a photo of the connection entries to both your weather console and your PC plus the cable you have and post here on NW and we can have a look and advise you what you need. If not take the console into Maplins and I am sure they will give you the correct cable or what I think you need is a cable adapter.

Posted

Mark... You need a serial to USB adaptor. Most decent computer shops will have them. I have the same station as you and pointed that problem out at the time you were ordering..

http://www.usbnow.co.uk/Cables-USB_to_RS23...oduct_info.html

Posted
when i got my new weather station i got a cable that aloud me to connect it to my laptop. The only problem is its like a monitor cable with the pins. You have a flat one and one with pins where you put it in. I have two flat ends so i need a different wire with an Ethernet cable so i can connect station to my computer. People who have the same weather station as me will know what i am talking about. Does any one know where i can get the cable from because i tried Curry's and comet and they don't have one

Here is a link

http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/...00--WS3600.html

I got my one fro Maplin online but you should be able to get a serial to USB adaptor from PC world and the like.

Posted
Mark... You need a serial to USB adaptor. Most decent computer shops will have them. I have the same station as you and pointed that problem out at the time you were ordering..

http://www.usbnow.co.uk/Cables-USB_to_RS23...oduct_info.html

I remeber now what you said :doh: Thanks i will order that then. I keep having to go to my suiters computer.

• 1 month later...
Posted
The pressure will be on mine come midwinter. really hope it will get the winds and go as high as it promised

We'll see I'll shortly be putting a WS3600 through its paces halfway up CairnGorm... I'm just off to put in the bulk order for replacement annometers !! :)

Bought this off E-bay (and I don't recommend buying this sort of thing off e-bay) it's caused bother and more bother and would have been installed several weeks ago if it behaved properly. It keeps locking up randomly, so have found a brute force workaround by putting it on a timer switch and cutting the power regularly ! :gathering:

I didn't need the touch screen and now the WS2300 is going for £89. Typical. Don't want to spend much money on it at that stage because want to know we can get the basic system working and I'm primarily interested in wetbulb temperatures.

If it comes together I'm thinking of going for Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 with heated sensors (though it seems we'll have to import the heated sensors directly from Peet Bros). Does anyone on here have any experience of PeetBros weather stations, feed back would be much appreciated (after my E-bay misadventure on the WS3600).

Edited by skifreak

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again guys,

I never got around to importing a Davis station from the US (the dealer wouldn't send me one), and I got nowhere form the European importers; see topic

"Importing a Davis system from America...anyone done it? Anyone want to try it??"

That was over a year ago, and I now have a young son and therefore even less cash than I had before! I've still got the home weather station itch, and I intend to give it a good scratch before Christmas

The question is...What is the best of the rest system, up to £150?? I simply cannot afford a Davis system - I was having trouble justifying it before, especially having seen how the prices over here in the UK are double, but now with family commitments its out of the question. There seems to be a few new systems out there, how about the Nexus one:

http://www.weather-station-shop.co.uk/?gcl...CFQ4-Zwod5CEwrA

The wind speed sampling seems to be 11 seconds. Any advice or comments greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Garth

Sheffield, England.

Posted
The question is...What is the best of the rest system, up to £150??

I would recommend the La Crosse systems for relative beginners as I have had one for about 18 months now and its been great. I negotiated down the price to well below £150.00 as I was purchasing an older WS2300.

I bought mine from The Weather Shop as they were local and they are offering the WS2300 for only £99.00 at the moment!

I have it wi-fi linked which is one of the reasons there is a 11 second delay, if you hard wire it (all included) you get continuous readings. Mine reads light on the windspeed as I don't have it on a long enough pole, out of the way of obstructions - be prepared to get up on the roof or find someone professional who will!!

You also get the cables and software to run it directly into your PC (serial port).

It does come down to personal taste, features and dosh!!!!

Edited by Coast

Posted
You also get the cables and software to run it directly into your PC (serial port).

It does come down to personal taste, features and dosh!!!!

They throw in a free USB adaptor and software with the 2300 now.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I've decided to take the plunge and buy the same Lacrosse system that The Good Prof and others have recommended.

That's my Boxing Day sorted then.

Posted
I've decided to take the plunge and buy the same Lacrosse system that The Good Prof and others have recommended.

That's my Boxing Day sorted then.

I've just recently discovered that they are also a good detector of a poor computer PSU. A few weeks ago my station was throwing up rubbish and locking up.. It is on a COM port though rather than USB.. It also started resetting itself.. Then a coil dropped out of the computer PSU

Since I changed the PSU it's been no problems.. So those who have had locking problems etc.. Take heed.. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Hi,

I recently found this thread when searching for information about weather stations the other day since I'm planning to get one, but can't really afford the Vantage weather stations.

From what I have read the WS2350 or the WS3600 sound like the sort I am looking for since one of the main things I want is to be able to download the data to a computer.

However one other thing that I would like is to be able to add extra sensors (mainly a temperature/humidity sensor so that I can see what the temperature/humidity is in the shed at the top of our garden), but I can't tell if its possible to do this with those two weather stations, I know that it is possible with the Vantage ones, but they're a bit out of my price range!

Does anyone know if the WS2350 or WS3600 support adding extra sensors, or if not know of any weather stations that do?

Thanks in advance for any help!, Harlquinth.

Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome! :lol:

I've had a look at those weather stations, and quite like the look of the WMR928NX or WMR200, even though they cost quite a bit, because they both support extra sensors and have solar panels, which will hopefully mean not having to change the batteries in the sensors so often! The touch screens on them sound quite nice as well.

They both look similar, but WMR200 has one single solar panel according to the descriptions I've found, whereas WMR928NX has a solar panel for each sensor. Does this mean that its better to go for the WMR928NX because its more flexible? The WMR200 is able to support 10 extra sensors, whereas the other is only able to support 3, but doubt I'll need 10 extra temperature sensors anyway. Are there any other obvious differences that I've missed?

Hm, just read that the WMR200 sensors are all in one, so that probably expains the single solar panel. Also noticed that the 928NX says it comes with software whereas the other one doesn't, so might go for the 928NX since it sounds more flexible with being able to put the sensors where you want as well.

Thanks! Harlquinth.

Posted

wi-fi? it isn't is it.

i thought it sent the signal every 2mins for the wired sensors and the 433mhz wireless signal, i'm sure it says that in the manual too.

Very good weather station unless you have a mac laptop for it and it won't take the silly little cd you get with it. :whistling:

Posted
wi-fi? it isn't is it.

i thought it sent the signal every 2mins for the wired sensors and the 433mhz wireless signal, i'm sure it says that in the manual too.

Very good weather station unless you have a mac laptop for it and it won't take the silly little cd you get with it. :whistling:

Wifi is the sort that I'm looking for, and WMR928NX and WMR200 both have wifi from what I've read.

Posted
Wifi is the sort that I'm looking for, and WMR928NX and WMR200 both have wifi from what I've read.
The system operates at 433MHz. The main unit has an effective range of 100m so sensors should be positioned within this range.

It is a wireless connection between sensors and the base station but is not an IP connection for your wireless router.

Hope that clarifies things a little for you.. :whistling:

Posted
It is a wireless connection between sensors and the base station but is not an IP connection for your wireless router.

Hope that clarifies things a little for you.. B)

Thanks, but thats what I ment anyway, sorry if I didn't make myself clear :)

• 1 month later...
Posted

New to this forum so be nice :clap:

My family want to get me a weather station for a "special" birthday. I like the look of the La Crosse 2500. We bought my dad one 2 years ago and he has been very happy with it.

It doesn't seem to be mentioned much in the forums - any reason?

I want to upload the data to a web site - can this be done?

thanks

Posted
New to this forum so be nice :clap:

My family want to get me a weather station for a "special" birthday. I like the look of the La Crosse 2500. We bought my dad one 2 years ago and he has been very happy with it.

It doesn't seem to be mentioned much in the forums - any reason?

I want to upload the data to a web site - can this be done?

thanks

I don't know of any reason It's not mentioned much apart from the price maybe.

There is usually software usually with the weather station but It's quite basic. If you want a good piece of weather software Weather display I would say is a good one.

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/weatherdisplay.html

Posted
I don't know of any reason It's not mentioned much apart from the price maybe.

There is usually software usually with the weather station but It's quite basic. If you want a good piece of weather software Weather display I would say is a good one.

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/weatherdisplay.html

Thanks Glen,

I've downloaded the trial version so will give it a go.

regards,

Dave

You can set it up to receive data from your nearest airport METAR and use that data until you get the weather station. ;)

For hints & tips to get you going there are loads of FAQ's for Weather Display here: http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php

As for the station, the OS WMR928NX is a good station, although it lacks a data logger so it won't store any data when the PC is switched off.

If it's a REALLY special birthday then you can't go wrong with the Davis Vantage Pro 2, but you need to buy a data logger as well to connect it to a PC. These are big money but worth it. :doh: