Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Buying a weather station

Posted

I all ready have a weather clock witch tells me the temp humidity and pressure. I am now looking at something a lot better. I am finding if difficult to choose but i thought this one was quite good. Whats all your opinions on it. If you can find a beater one than please post it :rolleyes:

Weather station

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Evening Mark

Thats the one which im using , and touch wood so far after a year its still working , However { apart from my rain gauge which has packed up , dont know why {will have to dismantle it and have a look at the weekend} Im running mine on Mains , you can also run this set up on batteries , which i did at first , then found the batteries had to be changed quite often

Nigel

Posted

So would you recomend it and how often did you have to change the bateries becouse i don't want wires running all over the garden. Don't mine having the indoor bit conected to the mains though

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Mark

I think ive changed the batteries about 3 times cant remember for sure ,

nigel

Posted

Once every four months not bad for changing the bateries if it was every month then it would anoyme. What is all the data like when you upload it to your computer. Is it easy to use

Posted

I would use the rechargble battires though. I would use the ones you buy in the shop for heavy duty. I got them and they have lasted a year

Posted

The one you linked to will be good Mark, and as good as quite expensive ones if you manage to shield the temperature sensor from direct sunshine and get some breeze past it. The only thing that can't compare to more expensive stations is the wind gauge which, at best, will only give you an approximate speed because it samples far less frequently than something like a Vantage Pro.

Posted

Thanks OON. I have asked my mum and dad about it. We are getting a shed so the wind gauge can go on top of it. The raifall will go near the shed as well and so will the senser so i will be able to link them all to the mains power suply. I also like the touch screen on it as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Ah stop boasting OON about your Vanatge Pro :):)

I love mine too and I have to agree with you, the 2.5 secs wind updates and average wind gusts are great and in a storm is brilliant for live updates.

They are a lot more expensive compared to other stations though.

Edited by John Cox

Posted

Mark. Just got one of those too. Simple to set up. Transmitter gives good coverage but secure it to a north facing wall as for the reason that OON pointed out. Works great with weather display software. Sample rates are good enough for a good idea as to what's going on. £700 v £180 Obviously you get what you pay for..

Posted

whats the best weather station to buy, thats less then £150 and very gud at measuring wind speed?

I brought one last year that couldnt measure wind speeds more then 45 mph :)

Posted
whats the best weather station to buy, thats less then £150 and very gud at measuring wind speed?

I brought one last year that couldnt measure wind speeds more then 45 mph :)

I know what you mean with the strong winds in the western isles try mine its less than £150 also it can measure up to 111mph and it also made it through a winter out here a

so here is a link

Posted

# Wind speed and wind direction Measure units : km/h, m/s, knots, mph or Beaufort

# Range : from 0 to 180 km/h (or from 1 to 49.9 m/s)

# Wind direction displayed on a 360° compass

# Recording of Min / Max with time and date of recordings

Posted

ws2300 has PC connection.

I think its a case of sitting and reading the specs cookie. As long as it does what you want it to do for the money you are willing to pay. Would like a Davis but for me, that's something for the future.. :)

Posted
ws2300 has PC connection.

I think its a case of sitting and reading the specs cookie. As long as it does what you want it to do for the money you are willing to pay. Would like a Davis but for me, that's something for the future.. :)

my dad is going to look at with me.

whats a davis?

Posted

OON and JH and JC use them.. Probably the best home gear you can get but they are a bit expensive..

La Crosse are good quality gear.. Good list here with specs. http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/...--lacrosse.html

Posted

I use a WS 2300 and have had no problems with it so far.

I got it from UKweathershop at it was on offer there.

Edited by Greyowl