Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

1984, 1985 maximum temps

Summer of 95

Posted

Anyone know what the hottest temperature in the UK was in 1984 and 1985? Frustratingly the other wise excellent list at http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/hottest_days.htm gives two records from Jersey- not part of the UK- for those years. Particularly 1985- if that "30.5 Mepal 12 Sept" is wrong, was there anything higher than the temp at March on 1 October?

As for 2007, is 26.5 at Herstmonceux on 15 April still the highest so far?

Posted

25 July 1985 Heathrow 30C. I know summer 1985 always gets a bad press but July 1985 was actually far from awful in the south-east.

8 July 1984 Heathrow 32C.

Edited by Nick H

Posted

Trevor Harley's interesting site is about British weather and Jersey is part of the British Isles, so not frustrating at all . . .

Gibli

Posted
Trevor Harley's interesting site is about British weather and Jersey is part of the British Isles, so not frustrating at all . . .

Gibli

I remember a Serious Discussion thread about the term "British Isles" (which to me is a Geographical -not Political- term meaning Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Orkney, Shetland, Scilly, Anglesey, the Hebrides but NOT the Channel Islands- geographically the Faeroes have more of a claim to be included than they do if you look at a map; I understand the term isn't so popular in Ireland): without going into the political side of it I always think that if you're going to include Jersey on UK weather reports you might as well throw in Gibraltar, Bermuda, St Helena, Pitcairn etc etc (some French ones actually include Guadeloupe and Martinique which are more part of France than Jersey is part of the UK); I always get very frustrated seeing Jersey (and Guernsey) taking up space in daily summaries etc and keep wondering "Well, seeing as that isn't the UK where was the sunniest/wettest/warmest place in the UK then".

Jersey is not part of the UK and has its own Met Office- why keep including it (if it's to please holidaymakers why not put it in the "European Resorts" Section of the papers!)

PS Looking at the Jersey Met page, it has the lowest maximum ever recorded there as -6.1 on the 12th of December 1987- if that's true it certainly has a different climate as I don't remember any semblance of wintry weather in December 1987 (does it mean January 1987 or December 1981?)

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Given that the area is normally coldest from easterly winds coming straight off the continent I suspect it may well mean 12 January 1987. In some places that was the most severe easterly ever recorded; even Lancaster, for example, only made -4.8C that day.