Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J10

Championship Discussion 2007-08

Who is going up, who will get to the playoffs and who is going down, Please discuss these matters and all things Championship for the season 2007-08.

It looks like scunny will struggle big time now that Billy Sharp has gone. I just hope nigel adkins can bring some good strikers in before pre season training starts.

It looks like scunny will struggle big time now that Billy Sharp has gone. I just hope nigel adkins can bring some good strikers in before pre season training starts.

For the promotion contenders, you have to look at the usual suspects. The three teams that came down, along with the likes of Wolves, Southampton, West Brom, Preston, etc. Its hard to say who will be serious contenders just now as there will be a lot of transfer activity before the seaon begins. West Brom in particular are set to lose several quality players according to newspaper reports. Coventry could be a surprise package, along with Leicester, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich (biased, me? Never!).

At the bottom I would suggest its likely to be the likes of Colchester (who have lost several key players), Barnsley, QPR, Blackpool and Scun.thorpe who are struggling to stay up. Whatever happens, its going to be an exciting season!

I think us (Sheffield united) have a great chance of going straight back up we have a very strong squad for the championship already and we have plenty of money to sepnd on new players :)

West Brom will be there abouts! However there are a few of the players who have handed in transfer requests , Kamara/ Koumas/

I also believe Sunderland are after Perry and Robinson. Fulham have put a bid of +4million + a player for Kamara, and Villa are interested in Koumas

Just hope Tony spends wisely and well

Nigel

Shef UTD pre-season has been messed up over the cheating Ham and weak PL affair. Can't see us bouncing back to be honest. A Manager who hasn't been very succesful recently and only has had limited success when he had lots of money.

It'll be difficult and if we did get back the Prem league will not be happy at all.

It's so hard to bounce back. Just ask Leeds and Nottingham Forest! Ipswich went down with the same team that had finished 5th in the Premier League yet by Christmas were hovering around the bottom. It's been a complete rebuild since then, which is looking ok, if you ignore our 3-0 defeat to Stevenage last night!

It's so hard to bounce back. Just ask Leeds and Nottingham Forest! Ipswich went down with the same team that had finished 5th in the Premier League yet by Christmas were hovering around the bottom. It's been a complete rebuild since then, which is looking ok, if you ignore our 3-0 defeat to Stevenage last night!

Lucky Robins :doh: , and Good Luck Trunds and hopefully you can crack it in the Championship and maybe even higher, you served us very well and I'm sure you'll keep knocking them in, especially on the 15th December 2007.

we're going to havbe a long season,

mon the pool!

Good result for Town today...Ipswich 2 - 0 Panathinaikos. Encouraging to see Counago scoring two as well.

Good result for Town today...Ipswich 2 - 0 Panathinaikos. Encouraging to see Counago scoring two as well.

A promising season for Stoke last time looks a distant memory now. We have secured none of the loan players we had, despite "interest", Hendrie to Sheff U. Griffin to Derby. Fortune refusing to join & Diao still not signed up. We may have signed Creswell & Parkin, but are for some inexplicable reason, about to sell our best player, Carl Hoefkens, to our favourite rabbits, West brom, for a paltry £750,000!

Not that we're in danger of relegation, Pullis will not play the type of football that would leave us open to too many defeats. I fear a finish between 12th & 15th is the best we will get.

Dave

Ipswich thumped Sheffield Wednesday 4-1 at Portman Road this afternoon, going 3-0 up after just 25 minutes. Was an excellent performance, and certainly increases confidence about a better season ahead this year.

Overall poor game against Colchester yesterday. Dull first half that made pain drying look interesting. 2nd started much the same way apart from a very good free kick by Colchester that looked like it was going in bringing a brilliant save by Shef United's Paddy Kenny. Robson brought off Legs and Hendrie putting on Tongey and Armstrong and Tongey brought life to a previously uncreative midfield and brilliant cross led to Beaties opener. However United like seasons gone by instantly fell apart and gave Colchester an easy goal. Colchester went back into there shell again and allowed United to come forward. Tongey amended for a pathetic free kick with a well struck shot through a group of players. I thought that was it. Nope Colchester went on the attack and sure enough United gave another soft goal away.

Overall Mickey Adams made a tactical mistake expecting United to steam roller his team. If they came with a more positive attitude I think they could have won that game as Uniteds defence looked very woeful as soon as it was put under pressure.

I looked at Robsons post match comments and how refreshing it was not to see rants against the ref or fans. Instead we got comments on our poor defending and zero comment about the pathetic ref.

Nope, nothing new their yesterday Pit, strange how Robson mentioned our lack of creativity in pre season yet we acquire Beattie for £4 million when weve already got 7 strikers (albeit with Hulse recovering),

We have yet to replace Michael Brown with a player of similar attributes anduntil we do then no offence to Montgomery and Leigertwood but they are simply not skilful enough on the ball to create openings for the strike force that is the envy of many a Championship side,,,

4 million could and should have been spent on a midfielder that can bring the best out of tonguey, and along with Gillespie and Hendrie then we'd always score goals, at risk of conceding of course but we are sheff utd and we always play against 12 men, like that joker MJ Jones official from Cheshire yesterday,,,with the amount of jovial talking with the Colchester players then i beleive mr Jones has a number of Shares in the Club?

On 90 minutes aside then its no wonder we lost at Home to woeful Wigan to go down last season,,

come on Robbo and Kidd, even 2 Sky sports pundits said they want the Blades back up!

Well done to Aidy B for the hornets vistory at Wolves, if Kabba stays fit then along with King Watford will be up their.

Nope, nothing new their yesterday Pit, strange how Robson mentioned our lack of creativity in pre season yet we acquire Beattie for £4 million when weve already got 7 strikers (albeit with Hulse recovering),

We have yet to replace Michael Brown with a player of similar attributes anduntil we do then no offence to Montgomery and Leigertwood but they are simply not skilful enough on the ball to create openings for the strike force that is the envy of many a Championship side,,,

4 million could and should have been spent on a midfielder that can bring the best out of tonguey, and along with Gillespie and Hendrie then we'd always score goals, at risk of conceding of course but we are sheff utd and we always play against 12 men, like that joker MJ Jones official from Cheshire yesterday,,,with the amount of jovial talking with the Colchester players then i beleive mr Jones has a number of Shares in the Club?

On 90 minutes aside then its no wonder we lost at Home to woeful Wigan to go down last season,,

come on Robbo and Kidd, even 2 Sky sports pundits said they want the Blades back up!

Well done to Aidy B for the hornets vistory at Wolves, if Kabba stays fit then along with King Watford will be up their.

A decent enough start from Ipswich, with a win and a draw. A 1-1 draw at Plymouth on Saturday, despite being reduced to 10 men and conceding an 85th minute penalty (two seperate incidents) thanks to the referee who supports Plymouth - although the sending off was deserved.

Blades finally win despite some very strange decisions by the Ref and Linesmen. Started well then WBA started passing well and pushed us back but after we scored we dominated for about twenty mins before falling back into our shell.

Overall vast improvement from the poor performance against Colchester however we need to work on our passing game somewhat. To get it right we need to slow the game down which means the other team can get players back. We also need to shoot more from outside the box cos you're never going to pass the ball into net.