Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J10

Premiership Discussion 2007-08

Morning everyone

Would just like to say Good luck to the 3 teams which were promoted last season {Sunderland/ Derby/ Birmingham} personally i think Sunderland should do quite well this term especially with Keane spending just over 21 million

anyway good luck

And i think Liverpool stand a good chance of winning the premiership this year, they have been knocking on the door for a few years now , and i think its there turn this year,.especially if they start well

My prediction

1. Liverpool

2. Man utd

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham Hotspur

6. Newcastle Utd

7. West Ham

8. Sunderland

9. Blackburn Rovers

10. Aston Villa

11. Everton

12. Man City

13. Bolton Wanderers

14.Derby County

15. Reading

16. Fulham

17. Portsmouth

18. Middlesbrough

19. Wigan

20. Birmingham City

Nigel

Newcastle Upon Tyne

nigel

Nice to see cheating scam lose. Well done Man City. Hopefully the first of many defeats.

Anyone know how Benni McCarthy is as it looked like a nasty injury??? Didn't like the way he collapsed minutes later.

Morning everyone

Excellent goal by Gerrard for Liverpool ,although i still stay the free kick should never have been given in the first place.

Also best goal of the day for me came from Martins for Newcastle . Excellent win for Newcastle , (Must say so even though my team failed miserably } west brom beaten by burnley{not premiership i know }

Nigel

I can't ever remember having looked foward to a football season this much. In particular it looks like two of the North East teams (Newcastle and Sunderland) have their brightest prospects ahead for quite some time. Also be interesting to see how the top pans out, with many pundits expecting Man Utd and Chelsea to be very close. I'm hoping that Chelsea play a rather more entertaining game this year- by all means keep up the solid defence, but let's see a few more goals.

A large part of me would like Man City to do quite well this season to undermine Sven-Goran Erikkson's critics as I think that, notwithstanding his faults as England manager, he was somewhat underrated by the media.

Chelsea 3 Birmingham 2 was certainly an exciting game this afternoon. Chelsea certainly miss John Terry at the back though. Then Reading drew 0-0 at Manchester United. I know its the first game, but could that be 2 big points dropped for the Champions already, given that there is little room for error in the title races these days.

That Man UTD - Reading match was a quite disgraceful performance by Reading. Absolutely no ambition whatsoever, they didn't try to win, they just had 10 men behind the ball all game. Where's the skill in that? Any bunch of rabble gathered together can do it. It's terrible football to watch too. Man UTD give everything in trying to win that game. I can understand such tactics if it was a cup game, because there is a lot to lose, but it's a league game. They've only gained 1 point.

It's bad for football. Reading have lost a bit of respect from me now.

That Man UTD - Reading match was a quite disgraceful performance by Reading. Absolutely no ambition whatsoever, they didn't try to win, they just had 10 men behind the ball all game. Where's the skill in that? Any bunch of rabble gathered together can do it. It's terrible football to watch too. Man UTD give everything in trying to win that game. I can understand such tactics if it was a cup game, because there is a lot to lose, but it's a league game. They've only gained 1 point.

Jose Mourinho did promise a more adventurous game from Chelsea with more width in the attack- we certainly got it in this game. If they keep that up, I may well find myself becoming more of a Chelsea fan, like I did with Arsenal when they entertained in 2004. I just hope it doesn't backfire on them such that Mourinho decides "we're letting in too many goals- back to the conservative 1-0 to the Chelsea!"

In the Man Utd game Man Utd had 21 shots on goal to Reading's 2, and 67% of the possession. I guess that Reading thought they couldn't outscore Man Utd so decided to settle for a 0-0. Ironically, the "who cares about entertainment- all that matters is the result" was pretty much Chelsea's motto over the past three seasons; here Reading were emphatic exponents of it.

Actually, there is a lot of skill involved in what Reading did, as you need to have 10 ultra-fit and alert players to keep the man-marking working well, particularly as you know that if you go 1-0 down with that setup, barring some outrageous fortune, you've practically lost the game.

I've seen teams like Andorra and San Marino use those tactics though against top teams and it often works well. These are part time amateurs against world class professionals, so I don't think much football skill is involved. It can be extremely hard to break down a mass of defenders who have no ambition to actually try to win a game.

I don't understand TWS why you want to become a Chelsea fan because they play 'entertaining' football? I'll never surport them even if Newcastle gets relegated or anyone else for that matter.

Magpie: i thought Reading played quite well and they can't attack just to pleased the neutrals. I'm sure Reading fans will be very happy how there side has played and rightly so.

And great start by the Toon, dropped off a bit in the 2nd half but i think the game was probably already won. Enjoy being on top of the league because its not going to happen for another year at least.

I'm not your average football supporter- for starters I'm a hybrid Newcastle/Sunderland supporter (you don't get many of those in the North East!). After that, I tend to like watching teams that provide entertaining games, and to dislike teams that provide boring games- this is why I was quite a fan of Arsenal when they were up the top (in 2004, not in the "1-0 to the Arsenal" era!), but haven't been too keen on Chelsea while they've been winning.

I admit to having a slight bias against 'southern' sides with all else being equal, but entertainment value can override that.

The post was more a reflection of the fact that my view of Chelsea could change if they started providing entertainment.

As a neutral i admit i like watching Arsenal because there football is so great and its lovely to watch. I admit i like watching the 'big' games aswell but sometimes they are just not worth the hype.

Also as a neutral i would like another team to break into the top 4(Obviously Newcastle i hope) so its does not make the Premireship so predictable. The top 4 could of easily dropped points in there games over the weekend but only Man U did so i think other teams are getting closer to the bigger teams but not quite there yet.

Rooney out for 2 month again then!, lets see if perhaps Liverpool (or Newcastle?) have the got the balls to take advantage of a weakened Man Utd teams performances?, starting off with a difficult tie at Portsmouth then the derby with Man City?, Unless that little dervish and John Merrick handsome-ometer equivelant 'tevez' matches up to Rooney's standards then I foresee 'sir' whisky-breath splashing a few billion on a physical striker to hold the ball up any mo? Saha and Solskjaer still not 100% match fit? Heinze off to Lyon?all hot on the sales of Alan Smith and Rossi?

The early opportunities are their for some one to challenge the big two as Chelsea looked vulnerable to a basic looking Birmingham on Sunday.

Although a big loss, Man Utd have got a team that can score from anywhere, yes you need a natural goal scorer but when Rooney went through a bad patch last season we where still banging in the goals, i think they looked good yesterday, Reading set out there stall and played well if you like that kind of football, but if they had conceded it would of been a rout.

But thats football, i am sure there will be shocks all season and the thing that excites me most about this season is there are no walk overs i think any team on there day can get a result against the big 4

Rooney out for 2 month again then!, lets see if perhaps Liverpool (or Newcastle?) have the got the balls to take advantage of a weakened Man Utd teams performances?, starting off with a difficult tie at Portsmouth then the derby with Man City?, Unless that little dervish and John Merrick handsome-ometer equivelant 'tevez' matches up to Rooney's standards then I foresee 'sir' whisky-breath splashing a few billion on a physical striker to hold the ball up any mo? Saha and Solskjaer still not 100% match fit? Heinze off to Lyon?all hot on the sales of Alan Smith and Rossi?

The early opportunities are their for some one to challenge the big two as Chelsea looked vulnerable to a basic looking Birmingham on Sunday.