Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chasing 2008

Arrows

Posted

Hi guys, just really opened this thread to get some info and numbers so I can figure things out. Here's the thing, I'm 20 years old and want to go on an adventure holiday, something that I will always remember. So, as you may have worked out I want to go storm chasing in the states. I've been searching and scanning various chasing companies to see which one takes my fancy etc. So I've sort of got my heart on a company called TRADD. Now as I've been realising, the price is like $1799 roughly which includes the accomodation, and the tour itself. This means I have to buy my own food and flights to and from Dallas. So heres the thing, how much spending money should one take on a week long trip and how much am I looking at for a return trip to Dallas? Most appreciated. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I would love to go storm chasing in the States but it is just so expensive. I worked out to go it would cost somewhere around £2300 to £2500 for 2 weeks. If i could get that money together i would be there like a shot but until then i'll have to make do with chasing in the UK :(

I've thought about going myself as it would be cheaper but not sure if it'd be dangerous as i am not too knowlegable on storms in the USA. I don't want to find myself driving into an F4 tornado :D:D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I would love to go too never been out of the the uk ever.

But its deff expensive prob take me 2 years to save up.

Posted
I would love to go storm chasing in the States but it is just so expensive. I worked out to go it would cost somewhere around £2300 to £2500 for 2 weeks. If i could get that money together i would be there like a shot but until then i'll have to make do with chasing in the UK :(

I've thought about going myself as it would be cheaper but not sure if it'd be dangerous as i am not too knowlegable on storms in the USA. I don't want to find myself driving into an F4 tornado :D:doh::help:

Yep, going on your own is not something to do without experience and the right equipment. Plus you'll find it won't work out very much cheaper at all - in fact possibly more expensive. You'd have to consider hire cars, overnight accomodation, petrol, items like the barons system and other sundries like gps etc. If you can get the money together, going with us or another tour company is defo the way to go - I wouldn't recommend heading out on your own on your first trip.

Posted

Would love to go some day but alas College/Uni will probably come first so it'll be some time. For those of us here in the UK that can't get to the USa though, maybe it might be an idea next summer to try and get some of us over to Europe, I'll be driving by then and I'm sure there'd be other who'd be prepare to try it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Would love to go some day but alas College/Uni will probably come first so it'll be some time. For those of us here in the UK that can't get to the USa though, maybe it might be an idea next summer to try and get some of us over to Europe, I'll be driving by then and I'm sure there'd be other who'd be prepare to try it.

Its an idea i've thought of - they do seem to do better than the UK for storms. France has had some real belters this summer.

Posted
Yep, going on your own is not something to do without experience and the right equipment. Plus you'll find it won't work out very much cheaper at all - in fact possibly more expensive. You'd have to consider hire cars, overnight accomodation, petrol, items like the barons system and other sundries like gps etc. If you can get the money together, going with us or another tour company is defo the way to go - I wouldn't recommend heading out on your own on your first trip.

Hi paul how often do you make these trips

Posted

Hi Mate

Usually once a year when the season really kicks off in May, have been every May since 2004, but went in June this year as well because the Pattern was too good too miss.

Paul S

Posted
Hi Mate

Usually once a year when the season really kicks off in May, have been every May since 2004, but went in June this year as well because the Pattern was too good too miss.

Paul S

Thanks paul for a quick reply.

Have you seen one a bad storm or tornado.

roughly how much would you need in cash...thats everything.

and can people come along....I am thinking of next year possible

All my life truly I have loved tornados I have hrs and hrs of videos of them.

My father got me into it when I was 5....I am now 41 (sad)

So would love to go.

I have been all over the states so know it well...I go every year

thanks pat(dogs32)

Edited by dogs32

• 1 month later...
Posted

A word of warning to folk wanting to go chasing for the first time in the States. If you've watched various tv programmes about stormchasing in the states showing exciting chase footage & spectacular video of rampant tornado's & big hail & monster lightning,or maybe you've watched twister several times & found the subject very appealing & you're now desperate to get out there & have a go yourself for an adrenaline filled trip, be prepared for a reality shock!!

Yes the trip can be very much like things you've seen on the t.v once you're chasing a storm, but what you see on telly is just a fraction of what is involved. If you're easily bored or frustrated & get dissapointed easily my advice is don't go, it's really not something you'd enjoy. You spend most of the tour travelling hundreds of miles each day & no i'm not exagerating. You'll be living out of a holdall & moving from one motel to another. Sometimes...no in fact i can guarantee that you will be spending at least one day of a seven day trip couped up in a van just travelling to another part of the States in anticipation for the following day. You're not guaranteed to see storms for your week that you've chosen maybe if you're really unlucky & a "ridge" moves in like we had in 2006 & is a tour killer, 2 weeks no severe weather i kid you not. The tour companies will try to take you to places that will use up time & show you things just to occupy you but you just can't book severe weather.

I've been to the Great Plains every year since 2001 & had to wait untill 2005 to see my first "decent" tornado. 2001 & 2002 i went with cloud9tours excellent tour company but if storms wont produce tornado's you wont see any.

What i will guarantee you is this:-

Hours & hours of sitting on your backside in a truck

Lack of personal space in the tour van

At least one day out of seven with no storms maybe whole trip draws a blank for such a short stay/ 10 day tours will probably be more like 3 down days or more

Frustration at hours of travelling & still no development of severe storms

Some really bad food

On the positive side, the only thing i can guarantee you is this:-

THE BEST STORMCHASING EXPERIENCE YOU WILL EVER HAVE

I hope this gives you a little insight & what the reality of a stormchaisng trip is really like

Regards

Pete

Posted

Pete the brit...thanks for the good advice...Im hoping to do this next year....you recommend cloud9tours....

are we talking about £3,000 all in all for everything

ps is it worth me just hiring a car doing it myself...staying out there for about 1 month

Just thought maybe no good in your own car...how do you get radar info..mmmm problem

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Does anyone know of a device you can buy in the usa...that you plug in to the car lighter.And you can track storms across the usa.Any help would be appreciated...Or is it just a plain laptop?

Posted

Dogs

When we go we use the Barons System, which is plugged into a Cigarette Lighter socket, then run into the Laptop with a GPS System for road mapping. This costs about $1000 to buy and $100 per month to run, it is a VERY Brave person who goes Storm Chasing in the Mid West on their own with no previous experience, as these Supercell Thunderstorms can make situations life threatening if you dont know your way around one of these things. I have been chasing 4 years solid and only now can I say I am competant enough, but even Storm Chasers who have been doing it for 20 years have nearly been killed this year (Cactus) Texas in April was a close call for 2 US Chasers.

Why not Pm (Paul) to find out about the Netweather 2008 Storm Chases, you may even get to Chase with the Great Michael Fish next year. But if you are

a, Competant Driver driving up to 5,000 miles in a week

b, Know your way around a Supercell

c, Good at Forecasting and plotting a Target area

d, Excellant Map reader

Then go for it.

Regards

Paul Sherman

Posted

thanks Paul that was a realy good reply...Im afraid I hate fear thats why I would go for it even if it meant death(truth) crazy I know....just i HATE fear stopping me since I was A kid...when you say Paul...do you mean Paul.B..AND THANKS FOR THE OTHER ADVICE appreciated....I must do this thing before I die..ps Im not old though not yet....paul if I had a spare 3,000 enlgish pounds would that cover everything...lodging,trip,flight,food,just everything in your opinon

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Pm User Name (Paul) he is the guy who set up Netweather 4 years ago. He has all the info on the trips next year, but yes £3,000 is enough.

Paul S

• 1 month later...
Posted
For what its worth Paul is there any chance of doing a daytrip over to France next summer?

Just curious as hopefully I'll be driving by that point, hopefully!!!

Definately Darren,

Lots of members have enquired about this before and with Netweather's radar this is one that we should be able to do quite easily. Best time to go is Late June or up to the Middle of July, as in August all of France is on a big holiday and the roads are hell.

Paul S