Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summers going to be bad?

Guest Daniel
This is proberly going to get deleted but why do people keep saying summers over or this is going to be a write off whenwere only two weeks into it. I always though that the warm months with all the heatwaves was middle of july into august thaough i might be wrong! I think people should leavr it to the middle of july before saying that this summer is going to be a write off. Theres alway september as well wich is good.

So in the last 10 years summers have been very good. Last year was one of the hottiest on record. It seems to me that people seem to think that every summer from Now on is going to be a record breaker. That is a grave mistake. So this summer is clearly turning out to be differnet than last years record breaker. but we are only half way through June and there plenty of Time to go yet. But things do not look good at present. This time last yesr we had strong high pressures given us hot weather which lasted until August This year we got low preesure and its this time of year once pressure patterns are set they can go on for ages. So there a good chance that this summer will be much poorer than last years. But please not forgate last year was a record breaker even for our warm times with a mean over 18C and temps as high as 35. Also with record sunshine levels. I have a feeling that we will not get the same as this year. Also with the sun forcast to go quite again I expect that winters and summers will soon start to cool down on average and we may even enter another mini iceage period later on.

Posted

well i watched country file this moniing the weather for this week was tearible , and as for summer will can forget it this week he said!!!

loads of rain and more floods to look forward for :D

Edited by tinybill

Posted
well i watched country file this moniing the weather for this week was tearible , and as for summer will can forget it this week he said!!!

loads of rain and more floods to look forward for :D

In that case there will be plenty of radar watching this week :D

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
There is nearly 2 and a half months of summer left, we can't forecast that far ahead, so we don't know what will happen. It could well be sorching for the rest of the summer. So, no, we don't know if summer will be good or bad. Ask that question in August perhaps if it's been terrible up til then but it's utterly premature now.

I think even August is too premature to say summer is over especially with Anthrogenic Global Warming sniffing around these days. Remember last year? After last years mere mild August came the warmest September on record which was even warmer then August 2006.

Indeed September 2006 was the second hottest month of 2006 behind only July 2006.

September 2006 also marked the start of an "Indian Summer" that hasn't really ended since.

Every month from September 2006 and onward has been above the 1971-2000 C.E.T average.

Also every month from April 2006 and onward has been above the 1961-1990 C.E.T average.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Stats are all well and good ,but stats ,weather records have always been broken ,even before man stepped foot on this planet. I love stats just about has anyone on here but bottom line there will always and always be variablity in our climate. I for one wont moan if folks write off the summer now ,just as i wont moan if folks say we are in for a hot summer!. There is plenty of time for summer sun, but as we live on a crossroads for continental and maritime stuff ,there is one thing clear, and that is we wont get any weather to extreme just, lots of weather. Whatever we have any time of the year just ENJOY! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

If i remember rightly June 1995, for two weeks was cool, even slightly cooler at times times than this june until the last week when it went blazingly hot and sunny.

Also June 2005 was the same, coolish wet and windy first 2 weeks with breif warm dry sunny days, and then mid month, it went very warm, very hot in the south east, and very thundery.

June is always abit iffy as the euro monsoon gives its final blows during the month and its rare that it doesnt, tbh i think we may be in for a what i'd call a typical british summer, like 2005 was ( maybe slightly warmer ) which is nothing to complain about had some very nice, very warm and very thundery spells.

Edited by Ashley Nelis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

There's nothing to say we won't see July & August being extremely hot & sunny months after this damp June - I mean look at last years August compared to all the months around it!

Frustrating as it is - patience is key. These last few days have been good here - thunderstorms, monsoon rain conditions, epic cloud formations, some sunshine & fairly warm too (well warm feeling). Certainly an improvement on Thursday's cold, uniform grey, wetness - that's when low pressure = bad. Quite happy to see days like Friday now & again in summer - just not when I'm planning on doing anything or travelling!

Posted

I agree with people who say that summer is not all about high temps. Even if we get no real heatwaves the summer will be slightly above average still. I'm more bothard about the lack of sunshine than tempertures to be honest. I mean today for example was the first day for a while where this area got a few long sunny spells and despite the lowish temps(15 or 16C?) it felt nice in the sun and it was warm enough to wear a t-shirt.

Posted

A good summer for me is warm sunny days with the temp around 21c-24c. With a cool night. I think endless heat ruins summer becouse its hot and humid at night. However saying that i don't mind a small heat wave with some super thunderstorms. June for me hasn't been that bad so far

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I don't think there can be many people who don't long for sunshine - it's built into our programming as human beings to perceive the Sun as giver of life so naturally want to be in its presence. It gives heat and light thus production of food. For similar reasons I'd say more people & animals prefer summer as it's the 'time of plenty' when food is generally plentiful and the living much easier. Traditionally winter is a harsh time with little food, limited light & warmth to do things in making those things more unpleasent or impossible to do. In modern times we are able to avoid these fundamental problems with food & comfort as supply is maintained all year by our lifestyles. Perhaps why people today are able to look more favourably on winter than they may have done in years past (that and it being less harsh due to higher temperatures).

I don't think there can be many people who don't long for sunshine - it's built into our programming as human beings to perceive the Sun as giver of life so naturally want to be in its presence. It gives heat and light thus production of food. For similar reasons I'd say more people & animals prefer summer as it's the 'time of plenty' when food is generally plentiful and the living much easier. Traditionally winter is a harsh time with little food, limited light & warmth to do things in making those things more unpleasent or impossible to do. In modern times we are able to avoid these fundamental problems with food & comfort as supply is maintained all year by our lifestyles. Perhaps why people today are able to look more favourably on winter than they may have done in years past (that and it being less harsh due to higher temperatures).

Some truth in that indeed but too much sun really gets to me, as does too much of everything. A few hot sunny days are nice, but if it goes on and on then I end up wishing for cold and lashing rain. And the inverse too, it it's wet and cold for too long I long for hot sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
A good summer for me is warm sunny days with the temp around 21c-24c. With a cool night. I think endless heat ruins summer becouse its hot and humid at night. However saying that i don't mind a small heat wave with some super thunderstorms. June for me hasn't been that bad so far

I agree with you there. Summer should have warm days and cool nights combination spells.

Sadly due to do global warming these warm days n' cool nights combos are getting much rarer and we get warming all around the clock more often now...

Posted
I agree with you there. Summer should have warm days and cool nights combination spells.

Sadly due to do global warming these warm days n' cool nights combos are getting much rarer and we get warming all around the clock more often now...

Warmer world = more cloud so overall you'd expect less day/night variation, higher night minima with less impact on day maxima. This is exactly how a lot of our summers are now - and the other seasons too really. Take today - 19.4c max (around average for a June afternoon) but it's still 17c at midnight - and of course mostly cloudy all day. Certainly the trend this summer hence the high CET. Not ideal weather at all as the variation is good and I think most of us prefer warm/hot days, cool nights (although personally I love warm nights as I can keep doors/windows open later without the missus complaining!) + lots & lots of sunshine. Speaking of - the June sunshine is so strong as I found out today at 1ish outside the pub. It literally makes your arms tingle with the intensity of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
. Take today - 19.4c max (around average for a June afternoon) but it's still 17c at midnight - and of course mostly cloudy all day. Certainly the trend this summer hence the high CET.

this highlights the reason why those championing the CET being above normal are wrong about their equasion the high CET = good summer! a high CET means absolutely nothing if theres no sunshine and an occassional hot spell.

Posted

I agree that CET temperature isn't everything- the sun and rain are vital for one's perception of a summer. Even rainfall stats can be misleading; as a month with 100mm of rain coming from 2 thunderstorms each dumping 50mm, with nothing but hot sunny days the rest of the month, will feel vastly different from one with 100mm produced by 20 days with measurable rain, only one of them over 20mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Summer so far in Bournemouth - I'd say it's been about average.. last few days havnt been that great with sub-20c maxima and feeling rather cool and windy esp in the rain - the first week however was very pleasant. If the models verify it looks like being very mediocre over the next 10 days or so.

Highest temperature remains 24c on the 14th April, however....

I'm hoping that this is going to be one of those years where there is a significant pattern change around the turn of the half year (following a rather unsettled May/June) from coolish and unsettled to proper summer weather - examples I can think of: 1983, 1987 (though it didnt last), 1990, 1997. Fingers crossed thyat it's not another 1985 or 1998.......

Edited by Jim_AFCB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

gawd not another '85 please.... we didnt get 25c until OCTOBER 1st!!!!!!

Posted
gawd not another '85 please.... we didnt get 25c until OCTOBER 1st!!!!!!

Some weeks ago I did post and say I thought June would be something of a write off and regrettably that certainly looks like being the case,on the plus side it has been warm but there is no substitute for settled anticyclonic days even if the temperature never exceeds 21c,as for next month I cannot but feel that we are in for more of the same as June,perhaps we have all got used to the better summers of recent years.

Posted

1987 wasn't a particularly poor summer. 30c was reached on a number of occasions. But the middle of July to the first week or so of August was excessively cool with outbreaks of strong easterly and arctic northerlies and June was totally forgettable;

June ; 12.8c (-1.4c)

July; 15.9c (-0.1c)

August; 15.6c (-0.2c)

Also wet with the average summer rainfall of 79mm (63mm being the average)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

My overall score for June is as follows...

4/10 for sun

4/10 for temperature

=4/10

-2/10 for rain

= 2/10

As you can see, June has been dissapointing, scoring only 2/10 meaning that if both July and August score 10/10, this summer could only reach 7/10.