Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Headache Before Thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I read somewhere i think that Some People Get a Headache Before Thunderstorms.

Is this True?

This afternoons Thunderstorms did give me a Slight Headache or one happened round then anyway.

Posted

my wife must think there is a thunderstorm due most nights then :drinks:

well there is some truth in the fact that some people are more sensitive to the changes in pressure associated with storms. hence the fact they feel the change by getting a headache

Edited by Mick

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lol! Really i mean a Headache when Thunderstorms i Due so i mean Headaches just before the Event.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

I have headaches on days where thunderstorms occur, yesterday for example (even though the storms went east and west of me here) i had a terrible headache and it felt heavy and thundery, you must know the feeling?

Posted

My mum often gets a headache before a storm occurs. She seems to be able to feel more when it is close and muggy.

I really can't tell at all.

Posted

Well i dont get them bad but i sort of get that feeling of a Headache or like lots of Pressure around you etc.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Thats Very Weird but Intresting....

Posted

Hmm like i said a Bit earlier i feel like there is lots of Pressure around you. Sort of Like being in a Confined Space.

Posted

Yeah you know what i mean.

I don't think there is such a thing, how would a thunderstorm trigger a headache? What is the scientific mechanism? I can't think of any. Perhaps though headaches could be caused by it being uncomfortably humid and muggy, but specifically a thunderstorm causing it, I don't think so myself.

Posted

Hi, I too get headaches before storms. I have never been able to find why it happens and have always put it down to extreme changes in air pressure in the run up to the storm or something. I'd love to find out why?

Greenman

Middlesex.

Posted

I think without doubt thunderstorms can effect the human body.

When you think of it, thunderstorms have large electrified fields with them, the brain and nervous system works on electric impulses etc, so I think its well within reason that a headache can precede a storm. Way too many people experience headaches before storms to be down to mere coincidence.

Weather can effect mood and physical in a human, many sayings such as "its an ill wind that blows nobody any good" have real reasons. That saying incidentally comes from the Fohn Winds, making people very irritable etc. I remember watching a TV program not so long ago on the Santa Ana wind in the USA, where the local police have an alert system whereby when the Santa Ana wind is forecast, they are warned of a very real possibility of increase in crime. Statistics show that when the Sanata Ana wind blows crime rates soar.

I personally get headaches before a storm, and also feel really tired, would not say its a headache as such though, the comparison to a tight fitting hat above is good, or a "thick" head you get with a cold.

Also remember that often when thunderstorms are nearby, you can have many cold or warm fronts in play, steep gradients of air pressure etc. Due to the fast changing changes in the air pressures, temperatures, air types etc, the human body may not "keep up" with those changes. Bit like when in an airplane on a steep ascent, the air pressures effect your ears.

All interesting stuff, but for me, I think weather effects human moods, emotions and physical actions more than we realise.

Edited by SnowBear

Posted

It's really funny, you know. The moderating team were discussing this very same issue. We're undecided as to which gives the greatest headache. Storms or snow??

Posted

Brian Shepherd from EMI records used to be able to forecast the direction of storms from his headaches, he had about a 90% success rate.

Last night I was really suffering and went to bed at 8 pm, this morning my headache was so bad I could not go to work and slept most of the day -_- . Thank goodness there was a thunderstorm earlier this evening. I still feel terrible but hope to shake it off by morning. Glad to know I am not crazy and others know how I feel!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Used to get headaches before a storm as a child and nothing has changed. Have had one for the last hour and lo and behold, it started thundering about 20 minutes ago.

Posted

I get storming (no pun) headaches before a storm. In fact I think that's why I like them for the relief I feel afterwards

I think it's to do with the pressure. There has been some evidence somewhere about this