Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 6th Report & Pictures

Paul Sherman

Posted

Great Day and One we really enjoyed, we shot North from North Platte and intercepted the tornado warned cell west of Valentine, it had already produced a great Cone Tornado and was very HP Dominant when we got to it, we captured a nice Funnel Cloud. Structure was also great before it went HP Dominant

post-24-1181190844_thumb.jpg - Structure Of The Storm

post-24-1181190914_thumb.jpg post-24-1181190935_thumb.jpg - Rotating Wall Cloud

post-24-1181190972_thumb.jpg post-24-1181190999_thumb.jpg - HP Beast

post-24-1181190878_thumb.jpg - Funnel Cloud

Then the most crazy thing happened and a VERY Strong Gustnado formed literally in front of our car and spun towards our car, it went right over the top of us, it was so strong we initially trought it was a Debris Cloud from a Tornado as we had a Meso on radar in front of us, I had to look upwards above my head to see if a Funnel was up there. Then headed North and got pounded by Ping Pong sized hail, I think a Grapefruit sized one smashed into our roof, have great Video Footage of this (Stewart will be gutted) Noticed the South Dakota stuff was going to crap so blasted south eastwards towards the developing Supercells on the Dryline in North Central Nebraska near our 1st Chase Target Should always go with your gut instinct. We got to these storms with an hour of Light to go but with 55-60mph Storm Motions we had to watch from the West, here I got some of the most amazing Mamma Shots I have ever had, could not penetrate the line in darkness due to Safety Issues so staying on the Nebraska / S Dakota border for the night just west of the Beast!!

post-24-1181191076_thumb.jpg post-24-1181191123_thumb.jpg - Mamma

post-24-1181191163_thumb.jpg post-24-1181191243_thumb.jpg - Mamma Mia

post-24-1181191306_thumb.jpg post-24-1181191329_thumb.jpg - Here I go Again !!

post-24-1181191372_thumb.jpg - My My!!

post-24-1181191416_thumb.jpg - How Can I resist you!

Great Chase day and tomorrow we head to Eastern Kansas before my flight home, so with storms ongoing from about 3pm should get about 6 hours of Solid chasing in.

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Morning Paul

Excellent pics of Mamma

Glad you have enjoyed yourselves,

HAVE A SAFE JOURNEY HOME !!

NIGEL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Awesome photos Paul - you're making me very envious.

Hope you get to see something good tomorrow. :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Incredible wall cloud shots there Paul, and the mamma too, well worth the trip back. Lets hope you bag some tornadoes today to round it off.

Posted

Beautiful mate.. Its amazing what you can achieve with a pinhole camera.. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Some amazing views there. Love the mammatus shots, they look so menacing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Let me be the first to congratulate you on winning the June PoTM competition :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Truely amazing pictures.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Great shots there Paul, see youve had lessons in shooting in RAW format, or is it not your camera!! :lol:

Followed those storms you were on last night, unbelievable the speed they shot up on the outflow boundary line..

Hope you have a spectacular chase today shame you could'nt have chased further north and paid whitefox a visit for some of

those Chicago ribs.!!

Posted

Many Thanks For the Compliments Guys, the Camera is really awful which makes it worse that i have a broken Canon EOS Sitting in the Car doing nothing, also have some guys from Olympus out on a Paid trip with us and when i look at there photos it makes me cry :lol:

Regarding the HIGH Risk we are just about to phone NorthWest Airlines and find out wether i can miss out on my Denver to Minnesota flight and just go from Minnesota to Gatwick, It would mean i could Chase the High and still make the Airport for the 7pm flight tomorrow. Anybody know wether this is possible, I cant see why it is not possible???

Paul S

Posted
Many Thanks For the Compliments Guys, the Camera is really awful which makes it worse that i have a broken Canon EOS Sitting in the Car doing nothing, also have some guys from Olympus out on a Paid trip with us and when i look at there photos it makes me cry :lol:

Regarding the HIGH Risk we are just about to phone NorthWest Airlines and find out wether i can miss out on my Denver to Minnesota flight and just go from Minnesota to Gatwick, It would mean i could Chase the High and still make the Airport for the 7pm flight tomorrow. Anybody know wether this is possible, I cant see why it is not possible???

Paul S

If you don't ask you don't get!

Definitely worth a try, especially if you put on your finest Queen's EngliDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of me

Posted

Paul S

Depends on your ticket type. If it was the cheapest available then they'll likely try and charge you some cash for changing the ticket. I've done this a few times over here and it typically costs under $100. Don't fly with North West very often though.

Posted

Beautiful. Absolutely stunning. Is it even worth anyone else entering the June comp. with shots like that?

Do you think Mrs S would notice if you came home with a Canon 5D? :) Imagine the photos!

Good luck with the nado's today Paul!! (Maybe you'll get a chance to bag that flying cow for Ian) :)

Stewart

p.s. You're right I am so, so jealous about the hail!!!!!!