Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June C.E.T

Well the official line on the CET competition is in from P.Eden's site and it is:

15.4c

Congrats to Snowmaiden, Geordie Snow, Beng, Soaring Hawk and Bottesford who got it spot on!

Indeed, the Manley CET is in for the month and it is 15.4c.

Well Done to the 5 players above who got it spot on, in fact there were 48 players who were within 0.5c either side of the final CET figure, a new record by a very long way.

Of the 5 winners this month,

Bottesford has gone from 16th to 1st.

Beng has gone from 26th to 15th

Snowmaiden has gone from 58th to 41st

While Geordie Snow and Soaring Hawk are not in the overall competition.

The top three also comprises :-

John Acc has gone from 12th to 2nd and

Reef has gone from 11th to 3rd.

This months results in detail

Overall Scores GIF Format

Monthly Scores GIF Format

Total Scores Spreadsheet Format

So how do you enter the competition then JACKONE? Do i have to wait until 2008 or something?

Hi GS

To qualify for the main competition, you can only miss 2 entries during the year.

However you are still in the Summer Comp (June, July,August) and with your perfect score in June, you have got a good chance of doing well in this Summer Competition.

Posted

According to the provisional Metoffice figure June is 15.3c 1.1c above average.

Mean minimum is what kept it high. 1.6c above average while maxima was only 0.6c above average.

Posted
A pretty easterly month I suspect (though depending on where the blocks we may see some southerlies with it, esp later in the month.) with another strong block forming somewhere nearby, exactly where determines the CET, not sure it'll be that above average unless the block slides into Europe which it may do at one point. I'll go for 15.4C, only because of the warmth of Nw europe this year.

Damn if only I kept with my orginal punt!!!

mind you I was happy with the ide aof it being a easterly month though we didn't see the southerlies as the pattern was a bit flatter then i thought it would be.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
According to the provisional Metoffice figure June is 15.3c 1.1c above average.

Mean minimum is what kept it high. 1.6c above average while maxima was only 0.6c above average.

Ah only .1c off a much better guess. I think mu July punt is looking risky though.

Guest Mike W

Have you seen what Hadley have put down for June on their official CET Series section [not the Diagnostics section], they have June down at 15.1 whcih is strange as up to the 29th on the Diagnostics they had 15.3, and it didn't look cooler on the 30th. Oh well, I thought it would finish 0.1 below MAnley like everyone else. Here is the link: http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cetml1659on.dat

Edited by Mike W

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I actually realised a few days ago that i had miscalculated the predicted CET value for June which should of been 15.1C however i would'nt of gained may more points than i already did, so irrelevant really, nevertheless, i would say that i have done well in the May-June period.

Posted
June 2007

Regions Temp Rain Sun
N Scot +0.4 44 91
E Scot +0.1 197 58
W Scot +1.2 162 87

These stats make it a little bit easier for folk up here to understand what's going on locally. And I think, certainly for us in the east, they feel like a fair reflection.

Posted

Mean maxima in parts of North and Eastern Scotland/North Eastern england was almost 2.0c below average! while minima was around 1.5c above average.

So very cold in terms of maxima there but minima was generally warm/very warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
I don't think that June CET figure, at 1.3C above average, set in the context of the months synoptics, is anything particularly significant at all. As others have said, the only cold(er) synoptics emerged in the last week following mild cyclonic southerlies and humid easterlies from a warm continent (as is the norm for a large landmass approaching high summer). If the same had evolved years ago I'm not sure there would have been that much difference, even allowing for an underlying warming trend.

If the month had been dominated by the sort of synoptics we saw in the last week and had produced a similar sort of positive anomaly then astonishment would certainly be justified.

A warming trend is there for sure of course, but I think a few people continue to make more of it than there is.

Rather than ruminating on the CET , of far more significance for the month just passed has been the RAIN !!

Tamara

Tamara

Indeed not..read Mr Data's post on previous page, very revealing and this month is normal given the synoptics :o

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

These stats make it a little bit easier for folk up here to understand what's going on locally. And I think, certainly for us in the east, they feel like a fair reflection.

Thanks for those figures, very interesting and yes they show how poor the month was for much of scotland particularly the east. When talking about the CET living in Newcastle I don't pay much attention to what it is doing as it very rarely reflects on average mean temps here. It is a useful tool for making statistical comparisons and comparing temperatures from previous years but really only of interest for those living in the CET zone.

Posted

The review from Britweather has been released;

"June. The first two weeks were dry, but from the 13th it was very wet, leading to some exceptionally severe flooding in places. Slightly warmer than average everywhere apart from the northeast coast. The highest temperature of the month was only 27.2 at Prestatyn on the 11th; it was -2.5C at Kinbrace on the 14th, and it only reached a maximum of 8.8C at Aviemore on the 25th. It was dull everywhere apart fromm some parts of the far NW; although it was the dullest June since only 1998 on average, it was particularly dull in the east. There were just 62 hours of sunshine at Edinburgh. It was sunnier in Aberdeen last December than this June. There was an average of 130 mm rain in England and Wales, making the wettest since 1997, although some parts of the far north and Orkney and Shetland were very dry. Wilsden (West Yorkshire) had 281 mm. Some places in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and record amounts of rain, and the month will be most remembered for the flooding in many parts of Britain in the final weekend. The Sheffield area saw particularly devastating flooding around the 25th and 26th; the M1 was closed for a few days because of the fear of a dam bursting."

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley...ather_years.htm