Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 15 Report & Pictures

Paul Sherman

Posted

Started the Day in Gillette (Wyoming) and headed south towards Cheyenne, at Cheyenne me and Steves Team split to see what we could find, after messing about with a Ridiculous Storm near Pine Bluffs in Nebraska, we blasted south to be just 20 or so miles east of a Developing Supercell just east of Denver, we went towards it and got some structure shots of this beast.

post-24-1179208197_thumb.jpg - Beautiful Colorado Supercell

You know its a big storm when the Inflow Tail cloud stretches out of sight, with 30mph inflow winds

post-24-1179208238_thumb.jpg post-24-1179208262_thumb.jpg - Insane about 40 miles long!!

We then went even closer to be about 7 miles to the east of this thing, 5 areas of Rotation showing on Barons, we have crazy Video footage of rotation on Time lapse which we will upload when connections are faster.

post-24-1179208387_thumb.jpg - Supercell Base with RFD

post-24-1179208428_thumb.jpg - Striations on the Anvil indicitive of a Rotating Storm

Great video footage of 80 mph down dirt tracks with tumbleweed blowing into the storm, nearly hit a few jack rabbits and Mallards!! Then tried some lightning, but as with every storm this year, updraughts keep going up above your head and start throwing down rain on your head. Got one that was a bit wierd, and of course plenty to grab from Video Camera

post-24-1179208571_thumb.jpg

Paul Sherman

Posted

Wow, great pictures again.

The storm front is now accelerating and I don't see much chance of keeping up with it from eastern CO as it heads for Missouri and Oklahoma.

The next heat trough developing is further west. If you were adventurous enough to cross the Rockies and head for southern Utah, I could guarantee you some stunning scenery and cloud photography either late Tuesday or Wednesday once in place, the storms that develop may or may not be severe as such, but it would be desert-like dryland scenery like in my avatar, very different from anything you've seen east of the Rockies, and the cloud formations are almost always worth the attention in any frontal situation. This one actually looks like it could generate some strong to severe activity too.

Otherwise it looks to me like a 3 day wait in Colorado for this system to take its time crossing the Rockies and arriving in the plains around Thursday.

If you do decide to go further west I would recommend the southern Colorado route, less elevation change and easier driving, then set up around Grand Junction CO or Moab Utah late tomorrow, should be interesting skies by then, looking for the more active weather on Wednesday. Even the north rim of the Grand Canyon (not the more visited side) is within reach from southern Utah.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Yet again excellent set of photo's, for a slight risk day it certainly came up for ya, rotating storms huge supercells and a possible tornado..!!

Posted

More great photo's guys. You seem to be having good chances even on poor days.

Posted

Just a quicky Paul and Ian likely to meet up with us later at Big Texan for some serious food and beer, we had a great day yesterday dropped right on the supercells over Denver got some fantastic shelfs and an unexpected Land spout Tornado on video http://www.ukstorm.net/ta2007/may14.html "VIDEO" real short lucky the window cam was running :-) cause we were having a pee at the time ---lol when we see it we ran for our cameras but missed the best, but the window cam saved the day, all in all a great day 3 tornados now in the bag! yehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by stevestorms

Posted

Hi Steve

Nice pics, any idea of an initial target for us to head for to meet you guys, Ian is drooling over the prospect of another Big Texan Steak!! And I know 4 others who will be pretty Ho hum$ed off that they cannot sample the BEEF! :whistling:

Paul & Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Just a quicky Paul and Ian likely to meet up with us later at Big Texan for some serious food and beer, we had a great day yesterday dropped right on the supercells over Denver got some fantastic shelfs and an unexpected Land spout Tornado on video http://www.ukstorm.net/ta2007/may14.html "VIDEO" real short lucky the window cam was running :-) cause we were having a pee at the time ---lol when we see it we ran for our cameras but missed the best, but the window cam saved the day, all in all a great day 3 tornados now in the bag! yehhhhhhhhhhhhh

I like your reports and pictures Steve, very interesting. Especially the last picture on day 14 the turquoise cloud :good:

Good luck.

Regards,

Russ.

Hi Steve

Nice pics, any idea of an initial target for us to head for to meet you guys, Ian is drooling over the prospect of another Big Texan Steak!! And I know 4 others who will be pretty Ho hum$ed off that they cannot sample the BEEF! :whistling:

Paul & Ian

I will end up going on one of these chase tours, just to satisfy my craving for steak-large! Every time you mention the Big Texan my belly rumbles in anticipation :lol: Although I would enjoy a good twister or 2 8)

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Hi all as Paul has said after a busy chase day yesterday the outlook seems fairly quiet so off to eat some steak and drink the odd gallon of beer shall speak to y'aalll real soon while i remember i think billy bob told me thats where he's staying as well

Ian

Posted

hi ian, glad u all ok, the pics r great, didnt fancy tryin catford with our thunder an lightning then!!!!!! dont blame u, rather b where u r the scenery is better take care an have fun x

Posted

Beautiful scenes & pics, Big Texan steaks :yahoo: , Big Texan beer :drunk: , a damn good laugh........ :friends:

and I'm here, it's grey and wet and I'm back at work (GRUMP) :sorry::angry::wallbash:

Stewart

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Great Pictures again Paul, hope you guys enjoy your steak at the BT, Amarillo - has Ian started drinking those 3 gallons of water yet for the 72 oz?

Looks like a quite period coming up, though could be some non-severe pulse storms over NM and CO over the next few days if you get bored.

Posted

These pics of Tornados, Supercells, Mammatus, Shelf clouds, Wall clouds are all very impressive.

But when are we going to see a pic of a Big Texan T-Bone?!

Smich

Posted
These pics of Tornados, Supercells, Mammatus, Shelf clouds, Wall clouds are all very impressive.

But when are we going to see a pic of a Big Texan T-Bone?!

Smich

i was gonna to say that same thing.... :wallbash:

Posted

It isn't a T-Bone but it is the 72oz monster they have on show each day.

post-7065-1179264218_thumb.jpg - In all its glory

post-7065-1179264275_thumb.jpg - Some of the other parts of the meal that have to be eaten at the same time

post-7065-1179264336_thumb.jpg - An idea of the size :wallbash:

Stewart

Posted

Cheers Stewart.. I'm trying to reduce the waistline and you're of no help.. :friends::wallbash:

Home made bread on the make here too... ARRRRRRGH!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
It isn't a T-Bone but it is the 72oz monster they have on show each day.

post-7065-1179264218_thumb.jpg - In all its glory

post-7065-1179264275_thumb.jpg - Some of the other parts of the meal that have to be eaten at the same time

post-7065-1179264336_thumb.jpg - An idea of the size :help:

Stewart

:o Jesus. It looks like I'll be having a child's serving then. Suppose that's why everybody needs a 7 litre engine in America :p

I'll give it a try one day :p:p

Regards,

Russ

Posted

wow, thats some piece of steak.

i was telling my dad about that and he said when he went out to america. he went to a resturant and they offered people a 72oz steak with all the sides free if you could eat the lot....

dad said he tried his hardest, but he just couldnt do it...

Posted

I wussed out and like Steve Had the Governors Fillet Cut Steak, we did however have 3 x 32oz Pints of Larrger!! Which equates to about 6 pints in old money. A guy went onto the stage and attempted the 72oz beast, unfortunately he got timed out with 21oz left. Was good to cheer him on though.

Paul S

post-24-1179384003_thumb.jpg - Failed 21oz Left at the end

post-24-1179384035_thumb.jpg - Let them Eat Cake!!