Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Doppler Radar

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Last night on a live weather feed a doppler radar image showed a rotating storm 1-2 mile north of a town in Kansas but spotters on the ground we adamant that it was 1-2 mile south of the town!.. Meteorologists were totally bewildered why the doppler was giving false information and no explanation was forthcoming except they said everything was working as expected I know technology has its weaknesses but severe weather reporters depend on this type of equipment as many lives are often saved, but being a few miles out and total wrong direction!! Just goes to show there aint no substitute for human spotters!!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Last night on a live weather feed a doppler radar image showed a rotating storm 1-2 mile north of a town in Kansas but spotters on the ground we adamant that it was 1-2 mile south of the town!.. Meteorologists were totally bewildered why the doppler was giving false information and no explanation was forthcoming except they said everything was working as expected I know technology has its weaknesses but severe weather reporters depend on this type of equipment as many lives are often saved, but being a few miles out and total wrong direction!! Just goes to show there aint no substitute for human spotters!!

Yup never beliving everything that the electronic gizmo is telling you. Plenty of times I've seen Radar pics saying rain when it isn't and vice versa although they do seem to be getting better.

• 3 months later...
Posted

It's better than the UK's ancient, 15 min, low res updates that are next to useless in real-time severe weather situations.

You shouldn't have to pay for access to 5 minute radar IMO. I can get more detail about a storm over New Mexico than I can about one 5 miles down the road. B)