Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 5 Discussion

Paul Sherman

Posted

thanks for all the updates NL looks like the team have had some good chances for them, hope they stay safe. sounds like Maxville had a rough time of it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Bloody hell, sounds like some active supercells and tornadoes. The hook echoes can clearly be seen anyway. Just hope the people in Greensburg and Maxville are ok.

Posted

Sounds like quite a few towns took damage. Hope the team stays safe and gets some good shots.

Posted

Well its not that suprising that there have been very large tornadoes, the set-up has been reminding me of some of the classic ones from the past and this was a very good set-up that looks like its got several days to run yet.

Anyway those radar images are amazing, thats a massive hook echo, thats got to be a beast of a tornado and it does look like it may b eone of the strongest for a while, frpom the sound sof it its a possible EF4 or maybe even a EF5 but we won't know that for a while yet and it diod drop a massive wedge. Man the supercell is a BEAST!

New cell now going up to the east of the main supercell thats been tracked, given the shear is still impressive and the storms are obviously still popping up then I can only assume that its going to try and pop another load of tornadoes, it really needs to be watched closely...because these storms just want to go through the night!

So from the looks of thing the outbreak could wlel be up there with some of the legends IF the models carry on suggesting such impressive set-up for the next few days, certainly today has been impressive, i just pray that there isn't any deaths.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Yeah, incredible night, more to come today.

I keep in touch with the team by txt messages.

Because of the major outbreak last night mobile

reception was really bad, i feared for a while

for the team as it was a few hours before they got

in touch with me finally got amessage to me 4:01am GMT telling they where safe,

gutted that they missed the super outbreak, but they would have been to see very little

as these twisters where rain wrapped and it was dark.

more can be seen here..

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/7347641.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Brilliant photographs. I like the fact that with the sunset and structure photos you catch two complete opposites of nature together.

Just read the reports about the Greensburg wedge last night. Can't believe the size of the thing, absolutely massive. Can only say that the (so far) low death toll has been due to the substantial warning time given out.

Edited by emerson

Posted

CNN here covering the tornado damage in Greensburg non-stop, latest reports say four deaths here and three others between there and Maxville, and almost a hundred serious injuries. From aerial coverage, this town of about 2,000 has been more than 50% levelled, by what looks to me like an F4-5 tornado with a width of at least a quarter mile -- the path was from SW to NE through the entire town, so the only buildings not levelled are near the outskirts.

As for today, the remnants of this super-cluster are now in southeast Nebraska and should redevelop from the NE-IA border southwest through eastern Kansas today. A somewhat separate cluster of possible severe storms is now developing slowly in west central OK. This may produce tornadoes around OKC and towards Wichita, Norman and Enid later today, as it seems likely that this will link up to the front dangling from the super-cluster further northeast.

The air mass remains hot and unstable even further west and there may also be separate areas of severe storms developing across w KS, e CO, the OK panhandle and the TX panhandle later today.

I am now heading out for the day but would advise (given the distances and current location as I understand it of the team) that today's monitoring and chase would be best located around Medicine Lodge KS to Norman OK, then Sunday a new area should develop further southwest from there.

Stay safe -- as some have said, trying to chase super-tornadoes after dark is a very risky business and one could just as easily get into the path of the killer storm as getting any meaningful pictures or accounts beyond the media accounts.

Posted
Brilliant photographs. I like the fact that with the sunset and structure photos you catch two complete opposites of nature together.

Just read the reports about the Greensburg wedge last night. Can't believe the size of the thing, absolutely massive. Can only say that the (so far) low death toll has been due to the substantial warning time given out.

Thanks to the doppler radar and on the ground spotters many lives are now being saved, if this had have happened 20yrs ago i fear the death toll would have been much much higher..

Superb photo's Stewart i particularly like the contrasting sunset against that monster touching 42000ft, incredible..